Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bird Flu...  (Read 11124 times)

Dave Leishman

Bird Flu...
« on: April 09, 2006, 05:28:29 pm »

I guess we may be facing issues in the near future with waterways being placed out of bounds, either officially or voluntarily due to the arrival of bird flu.

Has anyone heard anything officially about how access to these sorts of areas where waterfowl congregate is to be affected?

Welsh_Druid1

Re: Bird Flu...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 06:08:31 pm »

Well whatever happens you can bet that any restrictions will be imposed without a shred of common sense.

Back in the 70's there was a fuel crisis and amongst other things, all private aviation was banned to save fuel. At that time I was very actively engaged in full size gliding. As gliding was "aviation" this was banned . We pointed out that gliders do not use ANY fuel. Ah - but what about the fuel used to launch you was the reply. Well admittedly the winch used about 1/4 gallon for each launch but our cars ( which were not banned) used immensly more to get to the airfield.

No the winches used fuel and that was that. BUT as our airfield was on top of a hill we used to bungee launch when the wind was in the right direction. This involved only the physical effort of six men pulling on an elastic rope to catapult the glider over the edge of the hill.. Could we not do this?
   -- NO ! if the public saw us flying they might think we were using fuel !!!!.

So although there was NO fuel used to launch or fly the gliders, we could still not fly as the politicians could not apply  even a modicum of common sense. It was still " aviation" in their little minds.

Don B 

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:04:07 pm »

As you may be aware, we have a hose pipe ban down here in Kent. During a local radio discussion on the subject a water company spokesman tried to tell us we could not use a hose attached to a water butt which has collected rain water!
When asked why he replied "people may think the hose is attached to the water main"
Lefthand down a bit..........

Cheers
Dave

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:57:59 pm »

At a local pond in Gloucester the rangers spotted three dead seagulls. They reported it to DEFRA who came and picked them up to get them tested. Predicable result Pond out of bounds. Shape of things to come unfortunetly.

Regards
Daryl

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 11:37:08 pm »

however, there are always the canals! they cant be made out of bounds, surely!?!?!?!?!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:19:29 am »

Talking of Canals - a few of our club members have, on a couple of occasions, sailed their models along the Llangollen canal and once over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. For those people who don't know this Aqueduct - see the attached photos.

This must be the only place where sailing model boats needs a head for heights ? And look how difficult it would be if you had to lift your model out of the water if a canal boat came along !? ?

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

SteveM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:16:46 pm »

Dont worry you can always count on the some do gooder to come along and stuff it up for everyone else.
But I want to know if it is OK to eat the dead frozen chicken in the supermarket freezer, did it die form Bird Flu? :P
Cheers

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »

With the amount of dead birds found in the sea one wonders when the boys in white will fence the coast off  :D

Cheers
Dave

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:32:34 pm »

with all the pollution there, im surprised they havent already, lol. nuclear waste, oil spills, industrial effluent and sewerage, its all in the sea!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 11:16:15 pm »

But the pollution is OK, its only the "Threat" of Bird Flu that matters.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 11:25:34 pm »

So it's alright to swim around in s*&t as long as you don't get flu :P

Cheers
Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:24 pm »

[+on-soap-box]Call me an old cynic but wasn't the timing of the bird flu "outbreak" just a little helpfull to Tony Bliar and Co?? Certainally took the heat off the cash for peerages row , etc especially now it seems that it was a migratory swan and they're trying to say it must have "floated across" from the continent....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i'm not buying it at all. I worked for 9 years doing fishery reseach in the North Sea and the Tides would have washed this bird up in Norway not Fife as well as the fact that there was a period of 2 1/2 weeks of almost constant northerly or westerly wind the surface water would have been blown away from the UK.I just smell a plant thats all.

I mean how else to buy time than make sure it was decomposed and missing its head so it cannot be identified except by DNA??

As for where it "washed" up well it was the Scots National party that reported the Labour party for the cash for peerages row as well as the Welsh Nationalist party so expect the next "bird flu corpse" to be found in Wales. Just means that us model boaters will probably have unnescessary restrictions placed on us for no reason at all. I just wish these "politicians" wouldn't play silly games and leave us normal people to get on with things.[/-off-soap-box]

**the above post should not be taken internally , if swallowed please consult a doctor for anti-BS pills**  ;D ;D

Davie ( old cynic but nae bothered about it lol )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 06:31:17 am »

Now theres food tor thought. You could be right Davie considering the Scots & Welsh Nats appear to be the only real oposition at the moment. Mind you after the latest news re peerages for payment somebody is going to be in the mire. It's great watching Tone's gang riggle out of it as he carries on splashng on the rose water.

Cheers
Dave

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 11:21:14 am »

Davie has a point, strange how these stories break at convient moments. the local paper has just reported that the three dead seagulls found at westgate st lake were tested negative. Nothing about lifting restrictions on the lake and nothing around the lake to say 'clear off' so one must assume everyone in Gloucester can get back to what they were doing. like the local kids throwing stones at the model boats or trying to nick your gear.

Another cynic
Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 11:46:10 am »

Aye looks like Tony Bliar & Co could be up before the courts sooner than Sylvio Berlusconni at this rate lol. The main reason i'm really suspicous is that the tide in the north sea runs south down the east coast of the UK and north up past holland / germany / denmark ( anti-clockwise when looking down at a map ). If it had been a real event not a plant they would have put on far more restriction in Fife than they have ( just look at the way they've handled this , certainally not with any urgency so they KNOW its not real thats all I say ).

Having seen what this lying bunch of chancers in parliament will do in the past ( take the Fishing Industry being sold down the river just to stop the Spanish from giving them grief over Gibraltar , but that backfired when the EU Commision stopped the Spanish fleet from ever getting into the North Sea thank god ) i'm just really really reluctant to believe anything that comes out of their gobs lol.

Onwards and sideways !!

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 12:54:36 pm »

CELEBRITY CONTRACTS BIRD FLU

Newspaper reports confirm that a celebrity has become the first in Britain to contract bird flu.

Click this link to view the latest picture:

http://www.spare-time.co.uk/MISC. FILES/Bird Flu.jpg

CK? ? ? ::)

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 03:18:38 pm »

Do I detect the return of the GOF clan?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice one CK lol

Cheers
Dave

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 03:59:45 pm »

SWMBO thought the announcement real, them I showed her the pici. My ears still ringing.

On the floor on me back. Thanks for that one.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 04:04:00 pm »

"I wish I could fwy but i cant".... what about keith harris, surely he must be tested as well after he has been incontact with a bird for 20+ years!

HAWK

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 04:24:28 pm »

I would think theres no doubt that Kieth Harris has got to be tested  considering he`s had his hand up Orville`s Khyber for the last 20yrs.
                                              regards
                                                HAWK

flag-d

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 10:40:42 pm »

Bird flew?  I thought that was what they were supposed to do...or have I got it wrong? (again!)

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 10:54:02 pm »

No, "Bird Flue", it's when they get stuck in chimneys....

aston

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 03:10:44 pm »

I think I have caught Bird Flu,  I've started talking rubbish and I can't park the car properly  ;D ;D ;D

Aston

SteveM

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 07:55:04 am »

Hmmmm its a bit of a worry-quote-"I think I have caught Bird Flu,? I've started talking rubbish and I can't park the car properly"? ?

Aston

look out next you will be doing the dishes, hanging out the washing, sweeping the floors and shampooing your hair ;D

But I feel sorry for all you Guys up there, Us down here (in Australia) dont have to put up with Blair and his crowd, then again We have Little Johnny Howard. Do you want to swap? it aint so good here either. Bl*%y burecrats, I was wondering how many you could get with a gallon of petrol and a box of matches (if you can afford the petrol) I would even be happy with 2 to the gallon but 3 or 4 would be better.
Maybee I better go and lock the door now they might be comming to get me for the above comments ::)

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 08:18:49 am »

SteveM,

Not wanting to jump on the political band wagon, but if you could supply the gallon of petrol (you'll probably get it much cheaper than we can!!) maybe your wish will come true...........

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.