The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

Deans Motor Torped boat 385

(1/4) > >>

Raffe:
Hello !

I am thinking of buying that torped boat, and i was wondering what you think about that kit ?

Any suggestions one have to think about ?

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman:
Ralf,
I have a Deans MTB 385. I aquired it part made as a display model. I am at the moment completing it as an R/C model. It is certainly going to look very good when finished. I am aware of another one that I know performs well on the water. The glass fibre hull is very light and a bit and flexible. This means that towards the stern of the hull where the bottom is nearly flat the prop shaft can easily be flexed up and down leading to problems with alignment to the motor. The instructions say use a double jointed coupling (presumably for this reason). I did not like this flexibility so I have two shaped obeche 12mm square cross members glued to the bottom and side. I am also going to support the motor mount to the sides to get rigidity there as well. I always find things not quite to my liking in every kit I have made so take the above as a personal observation. If you need to know anything specific about the model and its construction feel free to ask.
Alan

Raffe:
Hello Alan !

And thanks for your suggestions. I am going to buy the boat today, so i will have it in my home in about 2 hours.

What kind of motors are you going to use ?

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman:
Hello again Ralf,
I am looking to get good planing performance so I am going to use a Graupner Speed 700 BB Turbo. Batteries will be a 10 cell pack of GP3300 Nickel Metal Hydrides.
I was at a model boat show today here in the UK and there was an MTB 385 there. It was however badly built and finished. My one will look much better.
Let me know if you want any more information on the prop shaft and motor mount installation when you get to that stage.
Alan

Raffe:
Hello !

Well i got the kit today and i paid 186 ? (list prize 320 ?) for it here in Sweden. The shop had it for a couple of years, and i was the first one who was interested in it. So they gave me an offer and i took it? ;D

Im going to start building it tomorow, so your suggestions are more then velcome.

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version