Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Motor Torped boat 385  (Read 6753 times)

Raffe

Deans Motor Torped boat 385
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:23:58 pm »

Hello !

I am thinking of buying that torped boat, and i was wondering what you think about that kit ?

Any suggestions one have to think about ?

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Motor Torped boat 385
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:30:45 pm »

Ralf,
I have a Deans MTB 385. I aquired it part made as a display model. I am at the moment completing it as an R/C model. It is certainly going to look very good when finished. I am aware of another one that I know performs well on the water. The glass fibre hull is very light and a bit and flexible. This means that towards the stern of the hull where the bottom is nearly flat the prop shaft can easily be flexed up and down leading to problems with alignment to the motor. The instructions say use a double jointed coupling (presumably for this reason). I did not like this flexibility so I have two shaped obeche 12mm square cross members glued to the bottom and side. I am also going to support the motor mount to the sides to get rigidity there as well. I always find things not quite to my liking in every kit I have made so take the above as a personal observation. If you need to know anything specific about the model and its construction feel free to ask.
Alan

Raffe

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 07:20:19 am »

Hello Alan !

And thanks for your suggestions. I am going to buy the boat today, so i will have it in my home in about 2 hours.

What kind of motors are you going to use ?

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 10:54:25 pm »

Hello again Ralf,
I am looking to get good planing performance so I am going to use a Graupner Speed 700 BB Turbo. Batteries will be a 10 cell pack of GP3300 Nickel Metal Hydrides.
I was at a model boat show today here in the UK and there was an MTB 385 there. It was however badly built and finished. My one will look much better.
Let me know if you want any more information on the prop shaft and motor mount installation when you get to that stage.
Alan

Raffe

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:42:05 am »

Hello !

Well i got the kit today and i paid 186 ? (list prize 320 ?) for it here in Sweden. The shop had it for a couple of years, and i was the first one who was interested in it. So they gave me an offer and i took it? ;D

Im going to start building it tomorow, so your suggestions are more then velcome.

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:28:24 pm »

Hello Ralf,
There was a review of the Deans MTB 385 in a 1995 issue of Model Boats. I have a copy of this review, let me know if you want a copy and I will scan it and email it to you. The review follows the kit instructions quite closely (a good starting point). To get the level of performance I want I would recommend the stiffening cross braces and the more powerful motor/battery combination as I described in earlier posts.
Regards, Alan

Raffe

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:55:41 pm »

Hello Alan !

Id love to have a copy of that review.

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 12:05:47 am »

Hello Ralf,
I have sent a scan of the MTB385 review to your registered email address. I hope it is of interest.
Regards, Alan

cdsc123

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 10:21:34 pm »

I have one in build too, my words of warning are beware the plan shows the fwd 20mm mount parallel to the deck but in fact they were supposed to be level with the sea at speed, i.e. canted forward when the boat was at rest. Also, the hull is pretty good but you do need to build up the chines forward very slightly and also the stem and forefoot, see my pic and you will notice the grey areas which are filler.There's plenty of pictures of these boats on the web.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Raffe

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 08:23:25 am »

Thanks for the tips, ill look into thoose suggestions.

Regards from Sweden

Ralf

cdsc123

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 07:26:44 pm »

Hey Ralf, how did you get on? I've finished mine now, I found that in addition to the hull mods mentioned above the height of the topsides in the area of the gun mount needed increasing;

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 10:18:30 pm »

Nice looking model, you did a great job on the build O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 11:17:30 am »

Up to your usual standard Christian  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cdsc123

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 11:19:07 am »

Thanks guys  :)

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 02:17:02 pm »

Hello Ralf,
There was a review of the Deans MTB 385 in a 1995 issue of Model Boats. I have a copy of this review, let me know if you want a copy and I will scan it and email it to you. The review follows the kit instructions quite closely (a good starting point). To get the level of performance I want I would recommend the stiffening cross braces and the more powerful motor/battery combination as I described in earlier posts.
Regards, Alan

JUST started one myself. bit of a nerve but are you able to mail me a copy, and I'm looking for all the tips I can get on this kit, I too find the hull
a bit flexy so will be adding some stiffening, also taking note of other tips Cheers 

mick

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »

I have been meaning to come back to this thread for ages. My Vosper MTB 385 had its first full season of sailing last summer and I took it to several meetings. Attached is a picture of the boat at speed at the 2007 Alfold meeting. Power is a Graupner Speed 700BB Turbo 12V and batteries are 10 off 3700mAh sub C NiMh in series. Prop is a 40X. Performance on the water is excellent. Mick, I have not visited this thread for ages, I can't remember if I saw your request for the MB article - PM me if you still want it.
Alan

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:07:38 am »

Alan  I have Mailed you ref : the review  Thanks for the reply
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.