Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017  (Read 24601 times)

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2018, 03:38:02 pm »

It is a thought but the boat has had several successful runs on the battery and 60amp ESC. The failure came as I had put male to male pins in when making up the Tamiya connectors and that joint failed due to arcing. The XT60 connectors have large brass pockets to solder the wires into and all passed the tug test for bonding.
I have thought of LiPo but I am wary of the charging and exploding concerns.
Thanks for your thoughts.
David
David

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2018, 09:17:10 am »

HI Davo
If you use a good balance charger with auto cutoff and a safety bag you with have no problems.
Have talk to your club members or a local model car racers.
I was very wary of them to start with, but, I did not have any issues.
I have just replaced the 6 volt Gel packs in both my Hellen fishing boats with 2S(7.4 volt) Lipo batteries.
A third the height of the Gel cells, so, the boat will be very stable.

Canabus

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:29 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. I checked the battery output at the first connector (to eliminate possible bad joints) and found 12v available. As I powered the motor up the voltage fell to 5v and the ESC auto cut-out. So a low battery was the culprit despite my thinking I had charged it and the evidence of the battery meter (see pic).
A few hours on the charger brought it up to power and all is well again.  It would be interesting to wire in a permanent meter in the boat.
Well, I now have a bigger 3548  motor though 900kv not 1250kv. Perhaps a bigger prop is next.
Many thanks
David
David

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2018, 07:06:01 am »

Hi Davo
The Hobbyking Turnigy 180 Amp Watt meter and Power Analyzer has an input and output.
So you can just put it inline between the battery and ESC.
Canabus

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2018, 10:16:05 am »

I will have a look at that option.
From advice in my query in the Brushless Forum it seems I was fooled by the battery checker. As it showed 89% I though it was still good for a run. However, it seems the voltage indicated otherwise. Another lesson learned. Just need to have some sea trials.
David
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:40 am »

During the refit in the 1990s I installed a heavy duty prop shaft to cope with the then petrol engine. A 6mm dia shaft in a 8mm dia tube. This had always exhibited a rattle at certain revs which is both annoying and inefficient. Maybe I induced a curve in the shaft when I fitted it. You can see scoring halfway down the shaft.
With the tube fibreglassed in, removal is not an option. However, a 6mm dia tube running a 4mm dia shaft could be fitted inside it. A 450mm long CAP Maquettes shaft did the job; though I am not impressed with the play between shaft and bearings. This outer tube, flush at the prop end stuck out about 5mm into the boat. I cut a suitable collar from a 6mm plain coupling fitting and soldered it to a plate that locks over the original grease nipple. This allows the new shaft to be locked in position and be removable (if those lose bearings prove a problem).

There was sufficient length on the shaft to extend the thread at the prop end and allow the use of a lock nut. Two new alloy propeller's, bought for the new 4mm shaft, were threaded right through and so it seemed a good idea. I also drilled some old fibreglass props through for the same. Now fear of loosing a prop in reverse.

I also came across a company called motion.co that do various shaft connectors and thought I would try the one in the photo. There is no end float which could be a disadvantage unless you set up the propeller etc very accurately.
Without moving the motor the coupling gap is smaller and I have trimmed down a standard plain coupling to fit as a fall back.

So, with the power problem resolved, and a larger motor fitted, it needs some sea trials.

David

David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2018, 10:20:13 pm »

Interesting connector. I like the way it tightens onto the shafts rather than relying on the grub screw tightening directly onto the shaft.

I've been contemplating filing flats onto my motor and prop shafts but don't really want to do that especially with my lovely motors and their shiny shafts!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »

Having resolved the weak links in the power train I now find the Hobbyking 120amp water-cooled ESC does not want to engage reverse. I have tried several options on the programme card and am aware of the 'double tap' of the throttle stick required to engage reverse (not a good option!). Being water-cooled it is destined to be in a boat so this feature is not required. I guess when buying an ESC you do need to get access to the operating manual to find out these things. Not always available on line.

The best I can get is the odd reverse stutter of the motor. I have sent an enquiry to HK for advice.  Swopping back the 60amp ESC all works perfectly so it seems to point at the HK ESC.
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2018, 03:10:32 pm »

I have been in touch with Hobbyking and they have been most helpful. Hopefully I will soon have the boat 100%. 
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2018, 09:56:34 am »

HOBBYKING have kindly refunded my original purchase so I could change to a Turnigy W/C ESC 90amp. This was set up with the Turnigy programming card.  Initial installation saw the motor acting erratically, running back and forth in a stuttering manner. Putting the Hawk 60amp ESC back in the system saw motor working ok. Plugging the Turnigy ESC back in, it seemed that all was now fine. But having put the ESC back in to the support bracket, the motor went erratic again. For some reason I untangled the three motor wires and found things now worked normally.
So, my question is, were the three motor wires setting up some interference between themselves and causing the problem?   Any advice gratefully received.
David
David

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2018, 10:05:43 am »

.......................I also came across a company called motion.co that do various shaft connectors and thought I would try the one in the photo. There is no end float which could be a disadvantage unless you set up the propeller etc very accurately...……………...

David

Is it a one piece coupling or can a little end float be introduced by not pushing the castellated ends fully together?

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »

There is a small amount of universal joint movement but no end float. So a propshaft would need precise installation. Probably suit finescale model battleships as they are quiet. I guess these are more probably used in printers etc.
They do the usual plastic universal coupling with brass inserts. These can be set up with some end float to protect the motor.
Hope this helps.
David
David
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.