Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proboat rockstar 48 convert to electric advise please  (Read 1794 times)

Mustang

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Proboat rockstar 48 convert to electric advise please
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:03 am »

OK. ..my rockstar 48 petrol is causing problems due to the noise ....my local authorities
Have decided to stop petrol power boats being used. <:(
Now I need to look at an electric setup being a petrol head ....electric is confusing.
I have in my workshop a 56mm diameter motor, 6 pole, 93mm long, 1200KV......could I use this?  Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I don't want to lose my rockstar  :-))

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proboat rockstar 48 convert to electric advise please
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »

Do you have a water jacket for the motor? Or can you get one for it? If so you could possibly use it on 8s, two 14.8 packs in series that would give you rpm about 37,000 unloaded, a little high but in the ballpark.
But you need a high amp water cooled esc for this setup, something like a Swordfish 300 that are fairly expensive. As well you will need high "c" rated packs 70-130c to supply enough amps for this setup (about $100 a piece), if you had the room 4 packs would be better.
With a lower kv motor you could go to a 10s setup, with higher voltage setups the amps are less.
But a little warning, an 8s or 10s setup is not the way to learn about FE electrics, a small mistake can be very costly like too big a prop, a wrong connection or a water leak.
Plus you are only looking at maybe 3 minutes runtime max, not much if you are used to petrol.
I would really recommend getting a smaller 4s (14.8v) boat to get familiar with FE, LiPo's,chargers first.
Edit: I forgot to ask if the motor has a max voltage rating?
Brian

Mustang

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 02:38:03 pm »

Hi..thanks......check ebay number 391840864784    that's exactly the same.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:20:32 am »

That would work but I'm not sure of the kv, it says 1200 in the title and 800 in the description. Either way it would work, the 800 would be better for 10s and the 1200 for 8s.
Brian

Mustang

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »

Mine is 1200kv.....thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.