Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You Cannot Be Serious!  (Read 5873 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
You Cannot Be Serious!
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »

Who remembers john McEnroe? I don't like tennis but I thought the comment by him in one of his matches might be appropriate for a thread title here {-)

My neighbour told me the other day that the local students are being provided with new accomodation, a tower block apparently, well that's nice for the lad's and lassie's I thought...the local town is becoming a second Oxford, no room for the locals though.

He then said that they would have the essential facility of a BAR on the ground floor O0  I asked him  if they would also be provided with their own A&E department to save the journey to the A&E dept 4 miles away. Were the hospital considering closing the place as it might be underused...? Ok I made that last sentence up but........ {-) Feel free to add anything you like in a similar vein... %) <*<

PS,. got my camera and Jag back this morning, just waiting for a card reader, be here tomorra. so... %%

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: You Cannot Be Serious!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »

My neighbour told me the other day that the local students are being provided with new accomodation, a tower block apparently, well that's nice for the lad's and lassie's I thought...the local town is becoming a second Oxford, no room for the locals though.
PS,. got my camera and Jag back this morning, just waiting for a card reader, be here tomorra. so... %% 
JB.

aye, and for that wonderful privilege of having decent, warm and safe accommodation in which to study, instead of the slums and rotten landlords that we had to suffer  with mould and moss growing up the walls,45 years ago, they have the wonderful thought and prospect of coming from university with a debt of anything up to £60,000.00p........aren't they lucky!!! >>:-( <*< <:( <:(

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:08 am »

"...the local students being provided with accommodation..." probably means students at the local university/college will be provided with accommodation, but not free, if they choose that option.
My university did that providing a small room with en-suite shower room/toilet, and shared kitchen. The rents were not cheap either, about the same rent as the flat that 3 of us shared downtown. Most domestic students could not afford to live in the block, mostly the more wealthy of the overseas students lived there.
In some universities students are more lucky, in that the university has older student flats with 4 students sharing. These work out at about the same price as renting outside, but even some of these can be pretty grim.
Universities and colleges in the UK are being run as businesses now, there are no free rides. Running them as a business has led to a bit of a race to the bottom on standards for many of the non-prestige unis. One of the reasons why the vast majority of Chinese students choose to go to America now. Of the 500 odd Chinese high-school students I have taught, only 7 went to the UK. Many job ads here ask for American English teachers, specifically. If you think your town is over-run by Chinese students, just imagine how many Chinese students (and their money) are going to American.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:56 am »

Now this is just my personal opinion on this subject...

The problem these days is that you seem to need to have a degree to have any job when not that long ago you didn't. When I was in sixth form rapidly approaching my A-level exams I had already decided that I wanted to join the RAF as an airframe rigger. To join up as one of these riggers you needed 6 GCSEs C grade or higher and two A-levels. Two of the GCSEs had to be in mathematics and physics. I passed rather well and joined up two weeks later where I learnt my trade and was paid for it- also known as an apprenticeship. My Dad was a Halton Apprentice and I was a Cosford Apprentice which means that we can work in almost any engineering job due to my experience and background. Last year I started a DL degree in Aeronautical Engineering through Yeovil University. The problem is that since degrees are so commonplace now that they seem to be practically worthless unless it's a proper subject. My cousin went to university, at the same time as I went through Cosford, studying Graphic Design. He went to Bristol University got his degree and moved to Bath to work as a graphic designer for a magazine company. Two years ago I met up with him at a family get together where he mentioned that he had never had a pay rise in his career. I asked how much he was paid to which he muttered oh I must be close to what you're earning you didn't go to uni! So I mentioned that I was on a pretty good pay package. He eventually admitted the amount he earned and he was shocked to find out that I was on double his wage! He hadn't paid off his student loan, he had got married and now has a child, but he hasn't got any savings and is mortgaged to the max. If he hadn't gone to university studying a subject which isn't worth the expenses gained he might be in a better situation but due to the heavy influence from schools that if you don't go to university you'll be a nobody for the rest of your career. I was shunned by my school when I returned there to pick up my A-level results after my RAF basic training. Before I joined up the sixth form headteacher called me in to his office to discuss my future and how I was letting myself down and the school by not going to university. He tried to persuade me and in the end resorted to threatening behaviour by refusing to give my records to the military. He was contacted by a rather formal Wing Commander who persuaded him otherwise!
Anyway, in my opinion if we resurrected the Apprenticeship idea properly instead of it being sold as a second rate qualification which it currently is, the correctly qualified clever people from all backgrounds go to university and proper funding would be available for them without massive student loans crippling them in the future. And if you wanted to do a degree later in life you can like me without all the problems of expense either. Three quarters of my training accounts for my degree and I just need to do a case study to get my degree.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

inertia

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:58:35 am »

A soon-to-be former student was told by his university tutor to go and see the Professional Recruitment people (part of the DHSS as was).
At the start of the interview with them the student was asked what degree he had obtained, to which he replied that he'd got fed up and dropped out after just 18 months. "Oh" said the interviewer, "That's good, because we can't find any places for graduates".
The student was me and the date was December 1971. The only difference was that I didn't have to repay any fees or grant.
I later joined the civil service at EO grade. The entry qualifications were 5 x GCE's, which had to include English and Maths and at least 2 at A-level. These days you'd need a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree, and that to stand behind the counter at a local benefits office.
The standing joke around Nottingham - which has two universities - is that you could go into any local pub looking for a plumber and not find one, but you would find twenty people qualified to make a documentary film about the problem.
Cynical? Moi?? I wonder why.
DM

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:12:03 am »

University halls and contracted accommodation tends to be allocated to first year students who know no better and it tends to be very much at the top of the price range.

It also tends to be allocated to Masters/PhD students because they are often single year courses and the candidates don't know the area.

2nd/3rd year etc. tend to find their own homes.

Just finished subsidizing my 2 <:(

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:02 am »

At school my O & A levels were insufficient to qualify me for University entrance, so I took a five year apprenticeship as a Tool Maker, ending up in the Drawing Office.  Years later I went Contract for many times the money (and in those days almost no tax).  Eventually I went back Permanent just before Racal decided to go CAD.  As I was only one in the office with computer programming experience I ended up running the CAD Office.  Lovely job.  Six suites of ProEngineer 3D to play with, and they paid me, very well.

Strange, but many of my colleagues who went to Uni seemed to have got jobs in Banks or Insurance, at less money.  I would have been bored to tears doing that.  Sometimes things have a way of turning out for the best.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 12:38:56 pm »

@Raflaunches, I have to agree. My best mate from school joined the RAF back in 75 ( he may have had to wait until he was 17 years old) and became a Halton Apprentice, ATechP. He only needed 5 GCEs back then. He did a full career, retraining in computers on the way. He left the RAF and walked into another well paid job.

On another note, there was a popular joke in the early 90s.
What do you say to a graduate with a job?
'Big Mac and fries please.'

By the  1990s and 2000s, it seemed like a degree was almost treated as a right of passage that every child was entitled to. In more recent years, more and more young people are shunning the opportunity. They are starting their work-life earlier, without the burden of debt, and are doing OK. Admittedly they are not getting those stellar career jobs or salaries, but neither are most graduates.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:34 pm »

for me it was a case of finish school with A levels, - got a job as a draughtsman (old fashioned drawing board type) worked my way up to drawing office manager, was made redundant (mortgage paid off) and took a job as a lowly engineering support officer (main job doing Cad drawings) the work is easy, no stress, no worries. i can do my current job standing on my head with one hand tied behind my back, and my productivity is about 3x that of any of the others in the same role, wages - not the best, but add the pension that my first job had to start paying as they made me redundant at over the age of 50 its as good as my position as a manager. I get my productivity bonuses (as the target is generally set to 1/3 of my output for the rest of the team) and this year after the first 6 months we had all earned 100% bonus - we are now working towards getting 200% this year as the company is doing so well.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:02:52 pm »

The further education system in this country is a joke....
Lile nick says there is an obsession in this country to get people into
University and a stupid push to education requirements for jobs into degrees

i think the best example given was I applied to a local college after being asked
By the college To become an electrical lecturer....
They came back to say as I only had an HNC I didn’t have the qualifications to lecture but
would I come in for 2days a week to pass on to the lecturers real life experience and usage of what they taught  >>:-(

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:18:29 pm »

Yes..all good replies and I'm very interested in your experiences :-))   

I'll post about my story later..not much to tell really :-X

BUT...what do we think about having a pub on the ground floor of a student accommodation block?

I can't get my head around that idea... %% 

Alcohol..the demon drink...I know all about it...been there done that etc etc ..I even starred in the film %)

PS, no new photo's today I'm afraid..managed to order 2 Identical 16GB SD cards from 2 different shops...so no card reader yet...maybe tomorra...I'm an Idiot...!

My printer popped last night, I have an unopened Laser toner cost £57 that I cant use in the new laser printer that I received this morning (Argos fast track) don't know if I should laugh or cry {:-{

Ah well at least you lot are keeping me entertained..six months indoors now , bar around 12 days..half of that going to the hospital for appointments.. no I'm not bored, me? never %%

Keep em coming guys :-))

A photo of what here??? answers on a get well card to.....Mayhem {-)

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:57:21 pm »

I'm not certain this link will work, alcohol before fire safety? >>:-(

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/revealed-thousands-students-university-halls-without-fire-sprinklers/

Sorry but I have to link this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:43 pm »

You can shift the unopened toner cartridge on ebay.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

A bar, the university is trying to generate income, the number one priority for a business. The sprinklers, are just installation costs and maintenance, escapable (I deliberately did not say unnecessary) costs to be avoided at all cost.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »

stops them roaming the streets blind drunk I suppose.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:49 pm »

You can shift the unopened toner cartridge on ebay.

Yes I know, I'm on ebay ..3rd time I've started again! It's ok as long as you don't get the nuts...you know the one's I mean..had a couple over the years, don't read your conditions, can't post a fragile expensive turntable I stated, he sent a message...will you post it? <*<

He arranged his own courier in the end..his risk not mine.

Another wanted his money back after 2 years for a laptop he won...must think I'm a shop ;D

I'll have to get my son to list it, they seem to have changed the system since I was last selling, tried to list an Item, couldn't figure it out...well I am 64...there was a song about that...yes? {-)

WE will have a go, will post how it goes, shud go quick at the right price, not cheap for a genuine  Samsung 1042s SCX 3200, £60+ some places charge!

Cheers Tiger :-))
JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:25 pm »

A bar, the university is trying to generate income, the number one priority for a business. The sprinklers, are just installation costs and maintenance, escapable (I deliberately did not say unnecessary) costs to be avoided at all cost.

I appreciate It's not always 'Prima Facie'..have I got that right...brain is not working like it used to...get confused easily now..when I'm 64... see done it again  :embarrassed: {-)

I still don't agree with plying all these young kids with strong ale and all the other funny concoctions they seem to favour ?...It's all above my head..or should that be over or under..sorry my mind is working overtime again.

I'm on 10 pills a day now, only 8 on script but 2 twice a day + an oral spray (Glycerl Trinitrate (yes spelling is correct) which I keep close all the time.

I rattle when I move %% 
A few photo's tomorrow if I get the card reader.

I'll try look into it further for my own interest. :-))

TA.
JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 05:30:27 pm »

stops them roaming the streets blind drunk I suppose.

Well yes, suppose that's an advantage! {-)

Good post Grendel :-))

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:41 pm »

Another piece of sillyness from the same source.

go to the Lancashire Evening Post website at your own risk :D

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/preston-residents-fury-over-lightfoot-lane-road-closure-1-8766832

It can be a complete PITA sometimes...

I seem to be on one today..499 posts...think I'll leave the next one till tomorrow.

JB.

Who whispered 'Yippee' at the back?  {-)

Think I'll agree with him/her.....................

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:54:15 pm »

BUT...what do we think about having a pub on the ground floor of a student accommodation block?
JB.

no different to having a bar on campus with living accommodation there, and they are usually ressies and guests only with out a public licence..........like a members club.......so no trouble unless between students.

my daughter is at Fleetwood nautical college, and there is a bar in the main building with subsidised grogg, and living quarters 30 metres away from it..........sign of the times for a long time.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 06:06:25 pm »

To be honest it's no different to the on camp bars in Cosford- it just meant they knew where to find us!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 09:17:27 pm »

i think the best example given was I applied to a local college after being asked
By the college To become an electrical lecturer....
They came back to say as I only had an HNC I didn’t have the qualifications to lecture but
would I come in for 2days a week to pass on to the lecturers real life experience and usage of what they taught  >>:-(

I personally would have taken that as an insult and told them where to go for their 'real life' experience  >:-o >:-o
Bintur Ellenbach

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 03:00:59 am »

I personally would have taken that as an insult and told them where to go for their 'real life' experience  >:-o >:-o

Sad reality of it is that the college admin who have to find staff are also frustrated by the rules (from on high) that they don't always agree with either. However, if the students, or their parents, were to discover that the lecturer was unqualified (on paper), imagine the outcry. I can imagine the stories in the local rag, and the tabloids, now.

It also works the other way around. Industry can be just as bound by such rules.
I worked in an engineering consultancy. One of our electrical engineers with 20 years experience, and a PhD in electrical engineering, had not worked towards the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) professional qualifications/accreditation (he stubbornly refused). As such he could not be promoted. Because the industry only recognises professional accreditation, the industry does not recognise other qualifications and experience (but some can be used to earn professional accreditation), He could only be charged out to clients as a lower level engineer, even though the clients knew he was very good. His stubbornness in not taking professional exams hit his pay packet hard. Eventually he relented, and in two years had risen to the top of the tree.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 05:17:47 am »

OK I'm rested now, I didn't go to university, no qualifications...all i have is my life experience...I'm 64. straight into work at 15, paid a fiver a week plus what I could make on my paper round..maybe as much as 30 bob.That paid for my racing bike, Aerokits Sea commander kit, a secondhand ED 246 Racer and a Climax Digital 2 channel set, that included 2 servos but no batteries, TX was powerd by an Ever Ready PP9, that radio didnt make it into the Sea Commander unfortunatly, I smashed the boat into the bank at Feetwood free running it before we could figure radio gear out, digital proportional was fairly new then, complicated for a 15 year old, well, it seemed so then.
They were happy days even if I didnt have a lot of cash to waste on model boats plastic kits and Nuttals Mintoes.  got the chance to get involved in a big trophy race.. 2 boats racing against each other...flatties and boats like the Aerokits swordsman and Precedent huntsman's, I let a Topaz?...dont know what that model was...racing boat away from the jetty, black & white photo somewhere, lots of the big names were there, as usual at Fleetwood it was rough out on the water, some of the flatties didnt make it!
Spent a few years under an MG fixing the engine, suspension, electrics, brakes and repairing the rusty bodywork! went on to do the same to 2 more, all that cash gone ! ..Then it was on to R/C flying, 20 + years.made lots of good mates, spent all my wages on modelling, again.
worked for Securicor and later Unichem..scuttlycor and unichaos, no joke those jobs, driving all year round in all weathers, lousy work in winter cold wet and long hours, did the night trunk for a couple of years, broke down a few times, no fun there, Lancs Couty Council for a while, driving many different vehicles at the main workshop. semi skilled work, really enjoyed that.
Latest is I'm retired.. and tired! Got a old retro racing bike with a turbo trainer, cant get my leg over yet, a Deans warship...a really well built model, more than a few plastic kits to build and more on the way...I'm going back to the 1960's... in my mind anyway, to many old computers (and a new one) and sundry other PC odds and ends, looks like a computer shop in the spare room! been playing with PC's for over 20 years now, windows 3.1 anybody???
Spent too much money lately!, I'll be in real trouble when the wife finds out,  I dont care..I nearly 'popped my clogs' in July and again in August...Pneumonia...the local A&E had me down for 'allow a natural death' I've seen the form, huh? not likely I've not finished yet, think they were surprised when I came back!...I'm going to do what I want from now on...you cant take your money with you.
Oh and I've bought myself a Jaguar XJ6, I did have a Jag X-Type but sold that, I wanted a real Jag. Not spent a lot, no need to, not many want a 3 litre petrol, fuel and Insurance might be a bit heavy but I can afford that now:) no need to go to university chaps...cost me £3300. 70k, all Jaguar service stamps in the book, should see me out!
With the greatest of respect chaps..Fleetwood nautical College and Cosford are not Preston lancashire student areas! I was born in there, Mount Streeet Hospital...I knew every street...I wouln't go now if you paid me...it's a 'City' you know...talk about Ideas above their station...must be on the planet Pluto.................
I'll post a few photo's here and more later..you take me as you find, I really dont give a damn anymore...happy modelling guys and gals, enjoy it while you can, whatever your interests, I do aircraft- boats/ships- cars, R/C and static- miltary-railways-and anything else that grabs my attention.
Any spelling mistakes/grammar errers are not my fault! ha ha.!!!
Sincerely
JB. (John)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.