Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should clubs pay to for stands at shows?  (Read 17085 times)

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
Should clubs pay to for stands at shows?
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »

we have at all costs to support our shows , if we don,t we will have NONE ,So we should just pay up and attend , i have heard that the organisers of Haydock are trying to condense the show to a smaller area to reduce the entrance fee  .

Dave  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
Re: Should clubs pay to for stands at shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »

Lots of people have said to me, is it right Warwick are having a truck display, my answer is yes,and they have said what's lorrys/trucks got to do with INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW,looks like Warwick will be closing as people go for the boats NOT TRUCKS, my answer was if you want to go to Warwick then go,but everybody has said they're  copying Blackpool show! I go to both.

Baloo

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:56:21 pm »

I agree that asking clubs to pay is a game changer.

Individual club members are already spending a lot of money to man our club stand at shows and an entry payment would not be tolerated.  Remember without the clubs, the shows are not worth attending.

For example, manning our stand at Haydock means at least six people have to pay for 2 nights at a local hotel, as well as a 180 mile round trip in their car.  Then add in their meals and drink.

Most club members do not care if we have a stand at any show and they certainly won't allow the club to fund any part of it.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »

Dave Cook and Baloo, support your comments A1+, model boat shows have to attract alternative punters, if its a mix of trucks, heli's whatever, we all build models, some of the alternative traders have superb stocks of usable items, we cannot be a go it alone fraternity. Our shows are dying slowly but surely, mix and match is not a problem, the problem is a lot of you guys won't get of you bums and join in!!!  quibble about the cost etc . but if you don't go it wont be there.
Think about this, Ellesmere Port, reported not running next year.  Haydock, down sizing to reduce costs.  Warwick, reported to be having a Truck arena like Blackpool. Blackpool, back up coming due to diversifying into other forms of modeling, last year there were Trucks, Tanks and static models, all worth a look, different use of skills, but still quality modeling.
Quit moaning and attend or loose these shows, the cost to run a show must be horrendous, if you don't pay through the door, the organisers cannot fund through their own pockets, answer, the show closes.
Tugs are for pulling

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »

Apologies if I am mistaken but I am Sure this thread is about the Blackpool Model Boat Show and not about the the ifs / buts, and rumours about other shows and cost Etc etc..  <*< <*<

If you want to discuss them start another thread.

Ps I Do Agree about the diversification of shows but this is not the thread to discuss it

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »

Sorry LB, I wrote that in support of Blackpool Show and the efforts of Stavros and Iain From Component Shop, who without their intervention, its probable that Blackpool would no longer exist, comments were made about the cost of attending different shows, it is all relative, money if finite, spend it where you will.
Tugs are for pulling

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:16 pm »

Sorry LB, I wrote that in support of Blackpool Show and the efforts of Stavros and Iain From Component Shop, who without their intervention, its probable that Blackpool would no longer exist, comments were made about the cost of attending different shows, it is all relative, money if finite, spend it where you will.

Jarvo See Pm I sent earlier..  and agree with your Comments above   :-)) I go to the show for the show and Banta  :} SWMBO goes for lights and chips.... 8)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:18 pm »

LB, love the banter, can I send my SWIMBO with yours???  we could have some peace[size=78%] and quiet to enjoy the models!!!![/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Regards[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Mark[/size]
Tugs are for pulling

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »

lol   %) %)

Just seen todays date, Less than a month to go...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:33:41 pm »

The St. Albans model show runs without any real support from the trade.  We just have a truck spares trader who is in with the Tamiya trucks and a very small time trader in Meccano.  They both give us a donation to club funds.  The local RNLI have a stand and this is their biggest earner for the year.
We hire a local school with whom we now have an excellent relationship. 
We hire in tables and a man with a van who helps with physical work.  Wives and daughters do the catering.
The clubs all help us knockdown at the end of the show, let the water from the pond down the drain and the profit goes into reducing our subs each year.  We have about 25 - 30 club members working intermittently over the time.  They all work quite hard.
We print about 10,000 flyers and advertise just beforehand in local press.  We contribute to the charge a few exhibitors make but this for a charity and nobody pays to be there.
We sell models in the club shop.
It has become a get together of local clubs, everyone wants to come next year and the local population pay £4 entrance fee and children £1.  And get lots of enjoyment having rides, taking part etc.
Last year we sold 1500+ tickets.  We do aim it at young people but everyone enjoys it.
It all seems to work!  Come and see for yourself tomorrow!
regards Roy

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:28:54 am »

i would not like my club to spend money on a table,   specially if it not really going to benefit the club as in getting new members signed up

i rather my club spend money on adds in papers or newsagents hair dressers etc to promote the club and let them know we exist rather then spend it on a  table

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:08:17 am »

It is a difficult call, but from a club's perspective, what is the benefit to the club of attending a show?
There may be intrinsic benefits, but there should be some more direct benefit to a club before club money is spent. Spending on local ads can bring in new members, as can attending local events; but attending shows a long way away is unlikely to benefit the club directly.

From a show organizer's perspective, just finding the money to pay for the venue must be difficult. If diversification of model shows is working, and it seems to be, then other shows copying this is good practice as it may mean the very survival of some events. I went to the Cologne model railway exhibition years ago, it was huge and very busy, it also had more than just railway models.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 04:46:39 am »

We have attended shows at Yeovilton and Bovington museums in the past, and continue to support the Bovington shows. These events charge a table hire fee as well as a reduced ticket price for any members exceeding the five free complementary ones provided to each group. This has been going on for many years, just for some reason, model boat shows have been cruising along with no charges whatsoever to the groups attending. The above costs, when divided up amongst, say twelve members, would come to about £5 a head. Tables being paid for from club funds. Not a great expense to the members.
I have seen over the years, the efforts made by certain modellers, to obtain free entry to events, sneaking in through fire doors, bringing the bare minimum of models to contribute to the clubs stand, disappearing off the stand as soon as the show opens, only to reappear for going home time, as well as many self serving sins ( having spoken to organisers of very recent events, I know this still goes on. ), this is no way to support the hobby.
One of our members broached this very subject of paying to attend big shows a couple of years ago. A show lives and dies by its trade support, no traders and we bitch like little girls, but do we buy much from them. The cry 'I can get that online cheaper' is a common one ( Traders should have a swear jar on their counters to deal with this type of scumbag! Keep it to yourself, tight 'bottom'.. ). A trader will judge his next years attendance at a show based on the current years takings at that show, if you don't support him, he will not be there next year. This little thing can cascade to cause the death of a show you claim to love. If clubs contributed a little to costs AND this could be used to offset stand costs for traders ( a big 'if'. some show organisers have been, and shall always be, greedy 'bar stuarts' ), maybe a more stable relationship could contribute to greater longevity for shows.
My personal opinion, based on over thirty five years of this boating ( God, I am getting old AND grumpy, move over [name withheld!]), is that nearly all model shows have a finite lifespan, based on human interaction, i.e. grumpy, miserable, tightwad, keyboard warriors, as well as pond side gossips, and lovers of ordering tat from China direct. None of whom have ever been involved in organising events. So you reap what you sow. The majority of us should be eternally grateful to that minority who put themselves out there to make these shows worth visiting, long may it continue :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 07:49:26 am »

It is six of one and a half dozen of the other, but in the end it all comes down to cost.

I have just come back into model boating and to me it seems that we have lost a lot of shows,

Sandown weekend - Plumpton - Merstham - Greenwich and Brighton Model Word (may be back for 2018) just to name a few that have all gone due to costing's,

The only one of the above that was only boats was Greenwich and after three years that had to end even with the backing of the Museum, so in the end it just may be that we will have to pay to ward's some of the costing of the show.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 07:57:13 am »

I have to second what unbuiltnautilus has said about those who put on shows. A big thanks for all the hard work. :-)) :-))

It should also be remembered that venues are expensive to run. You are not just paying for the costs of running a venue for the days you are there. Venues often run 365 days a year, have to pay salaries, insurance, rates, sometimes a ground rent, etc. The venue has to try to recoup all of these costs in the days that the halls are rented out, or from other entrance fees throughout the year. Many small venues are run by local councils and they rarely break even.

A table hire fee is definitely fair, if the event organisers provide tables. The benefits are that it saves clubs transporting tables (perhaps requiring a bigger vehicle), it saves those who don't have tables from buying or making them, and the stands that are provided are usually uniform and makes the show look and feel more professional (a better advert for the hobby).

The comment about buying on line cheaper is a real problem for those who don't trade online. For those who do trade online, there is an opportunity to build the brand with potential customers for the future. I don't want to hijack this topic talking about online trading, but some of the traders we see at the shows do online sales very well.

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:55 am »

we have at all costs to support our shows , if we don,t we will have NONE ,So we should just pay up and attend , i have heard that the organisers of Haydock are trying to condense the show to a smaller area to reduce the entrance fee  .

Dave  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

On behalf of the committee there are no plans to condense the show it will be the same size as the last couple of years.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

It is a difficult call, but from a club's perspective, what is the benefit to the club of attending a show?
There may be intrinsic benefits, but there should be some more direct benefit to a club before club money is spent. Spending on local ads can bring in new members, as can attending local events; but attending shows a long way away is unlikely to benefit the club directly.

From a show organizer's perspective, just finding the money to pay for the venue must be difficult. If diversification of model shows is working, and it seems to be, then other shows copying this is good practice as it may mean the very survival of some events. I went to the Cologne model railway exhibition years ago, it was huge and very busy, it also had more than just railway models.

i agree,  not going to benefit clubs who travel long and far away and charge them for it,   stops clubs going you only have local club stands.  my club is not local to haydock or ellesmere port,  how many people are really going to travel from there to ours when you have closer clubs

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »

Over the last ten years at shows I have seen about a dozen new models on club stands.
Most have a couple of persons either eating or drinking and will not engage in conversation of the model as it belongs to someone else.
People half asleep on some stands.
Some club stands are brilliant with guys
who will interact, and these are the club's that
win the prizes.
Charge for clubs, you will lose the noddys O0
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:43 pm »

i agree,  not going to benefit clubs who travel long and far away and charge them for it,   stops clubs going you only have local club stands.  my club is not local to haydock or ellesmere port,  how many people are really going to travel from there to ours when you have closer clubs

When your club used to hold their open days Liverpool, Southport, Hoylake and St Helens and other clubs attended.

Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:01 pm »

Lets take a look a history . Beale show. Once one of the best model boat shows in the Uk.  Then they stared charging for Exhibitors entrance fee. The show went down hill from there . What happened to the show . It died a slow death.
Lets take a look a model railway shows . Exhibitors get Free entrance fee. Free lunch and drinks ,Free table and chairs ,Fuel payed for . If you need to hire a van payed for . 2 day show over night cost payed for .
So as a model boater were doing very poor as all we get if free entrance fee and table and chairs. Now some people think we should pay for that . Sorry if the show can not break even charging exhibitors wont help save the show .
One final though .a boat show is poor with models . I know a lot of people who wont pay to Exhibit there models .

john

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:11 pm »

basically start charging the exhibitors and the model boat show will die,   

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »

I have been reading this thread with interest, as it seems we have a different philosophy regarding our club's attendance at shows here, at least in our area. Our club attends several shows each year, and usually receives a fee for our efforts. At the very least we receive travelling  expenses. The idea of a club paying to attend a show is foreign to us, so obviously a different culture exists in the U.K. Having said that, I would think that many of the shows over there are much bigger than any we have, so their expenses would be much higher.

Peter.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:53 pm »

When your club used to hold their open days Liverpool, Southport, Hoylake and St Helens and other clubs attended.

I greatly appreciated the efforts that other clubs made to attend our Regatta and it is very disappointing that our members have no interest in travelling to visit other clubs. 

Even our displays at local events have withered away, we are simply gaining a new younger membership who believe they can learn and buy all they need online.

Shockingly, I am beginning to see their point of view.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 06:09:09 am »

Hi Peter,
I am curious as to how the Australian event organizers pay for the event. Is it through sales of BBQ and beer, public entrance tickets, parking and camping fees for visitors, sponsors, traders fees, free venues provided by local government (local tax payer) or land owners, local community financial support (fund raising) for local event?
Not only will the culture differ, but mechanisms for doing thing will also differ. There may be some lessons to be shared.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:47 am »

We could talk about this for evermore but it is a fact the numbers of visitors attending model boat shows are in decline. May be its time to open to other aspects of modelling to boost numbers through the door not asking clubs to pay to display. Clubs are already being crippled with high running costs so to ask them to pay to display at shows for me will be the end of many shows. Its a fact many clubs are now having open days which seem to work.My thoughs on this matter.

:(( :((

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.