Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should clubs pay to for stands at shows?  (Read 17074 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Should clubs pay to for stands at shows?
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 04:18:36 pm »

Our display team in the main consists of people who have been doing it for 20 years and over time some are becoming physically unable whilst others have passed away. 

Three couples have informed me today that they will no longer be attending events and so the "team" is down to 3 and I doubt I will be able to recruit replacements.

In all probability Colwyn Bay have attended their last show, or other event.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »

About Charging.... At one show there was a £0.50p Yes 50pence  %% REFUNDABLE charge for the plastic name badge holders, when you returned the Holder you got your 50p back, 2 Members protested and went home, we were all gobsmacked !!!

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:32 am »

you do get them lol

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 03:44:24 pm »

In my experience (25 years or so) Neither Wargames shows or Military model shows require clubs to pay for tables or pay exhibitors. Some of these shows are large, Trucks and Tracks and Euro Militaire, Salute and Warfare being examples of the larger shows. I am not sure how well the Military modelling shows are doing for footfall, given that one or two have retrenched in the last eight years, but wargames shows are holding their own quite well.

References to excessive use of exhibitors passes and members coming just to poddle off to shop leaving others to man the stands have all been experienced over the years at both types of show, and exhibitors at wargames shows will, like Model railway enthusiasts, have spent much time building a terrain system for only one season of shows.

One thing I have noticed at the model boat shows I have attended, and also seen in magazines, is that no one is getting any younger, and so the issue may be deeper than that of charging for tables. If the number of members able and willing to attend shows is falling, then it stands to reason that those interested and able to attend shows is falling as well.

I helped the Yeovil club (Model Warship Association) put on a display at a Village festival. We were in the village hall with the refreshments run by the scout group, and we had loads of people looking at our display either before during or after their refreshment, so maybe less obvious venues and occasions might encourage footfall.

At the end of the day the catch phrase "If you can't beat them join them" seems to be working for some shows.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 02:44:58 pm »

I have mixed views about clubs having to pay to exhibit - on the one hand it would show commitment and allow planning to take place as once you have paid people tend to attend. On the other hand I quite see why some would feel this is a step in the wrong direction.

Once you start paying, say £5 then there is the inevitable tendency for this to increase to £20 etc which is a slippery slope. Candidly I am quite happy to display if I get free entry and even that's not absolute as I do want the shows to continue.

One thing that I think would be useful, albeit difficult to manage, would be to make some tables available for individuals to display and/or sail on the day(s).

Fundamentally the more models on display the more interest the show should generate and the greater the footfall for the organisers. I do think the multi discipline shows are probably the way forwards as there is greater appeal to a wider audience and I personally quite like to look at, and chat, to modellers in different spheres of the hobby.

Its a very complex situation with multiple different views but I do think we all need to support the shows where we can as otherwise there won't be any.

Cheers

Geoff

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 04:14:58 pm »

My view is that a modeller is a modeller and the shows should diversify into all aspects of modelling, such as model trucks ,trains, tanks, planes etc.
The problem with just a model boat show is that its the same people with the same models year on year. All clubs need to add interest and think out of the box to encourage new modellers into the art. If we fail to get on board and create an interest to the younger generation then the shows will be no more and only the club members will see your handy work/skills, which will not help to promote the hobby.
Look at the Dortmund show!

Destroyer42

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 04:22:42 pm »

That's fine in Europe. Most UK modellers simply don't like shows that aren't very specifically aimed at the very bit of modelling they are interested in, and vote with their feet.

I've been to a few multi-discipline shows abroad and they are brilliant, but I know I'm very much in the minority.

Stavros

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 05:53:30 pm »

As far as I am concerned NO clubs should pay to display their models,whether they are Boats planes etc.....and lets face it NO club or individual should be asking organisers for ANY form of payment to display their models either Whether they are boats planes trains etc....

It is a Privilege to show off your models and should be treated as so.

And as far as I have any breath in my body there will be NO WAY anyone will pay to show their models off at any show that I am concerned with,let alone payment for expenses

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2018, 06:15:22 pm »

I think Dave is right, charging clubs to display models will simply kill off shows faster than ever. But I have always felt that the number of free tickets should be limited to those manning the stands and giving up their time and that free passes should not be exploited as is sometimes the case.
Shows cost money to put on and charges to traders need to be kept at levels where they can expect to make a small profit at least so the only other source of income is feet through the door and if too many people are getting in for nothing it really does undermine the financial viability of the show and pushes up entry prices which in turn discourages visitors.
It is a fine balancing act and people need to recognise this and act responsibly.
Colin

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 06:46:36 pm »

I agree with Colin. Boats on display are a big part of the show and so shouldn't cost the entrant.

However, I have seen many modellers abuse the free tickets. IMHO the last Coalville show suffered especially badly from this with around 1/3 of the boats disappearing on Saturday night. Owners had enjoyed a nice day out but didn't want to come back on Sunday. As far as I am concerned, you put a boat in for the duration and unless you are working on the stand, you only get free entry once. I certainly don't have a problem with shows limiting the number of tickets per stand to just enough to man the thing properly for each day.

No-one is making a fortune from putting on a model show, so ripping off the organisers isn't clever.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 07:13:20 pm »

We have had this happen at many steam rallies that I attend.One particular rally started to charge £5 per table,which most objected to,and never went back.One display used eight tables so he was required to pay £40 for being an attraction and spending eight hours a day behind his display! The alternative was to bring your own tables,which in itself would have been a nightmare for the organiser to lay out with so many varied sizes and heights of tables,and also mean that the tables would take up more room in their transport,so less models could be brought.
   However,more the point,for this particular show for me to attend from Cornwall,will be costing me around £500! I don't drive so my wife has to come with me.Because of health problems,we now have to make the journey in two sessions,both ways,stopping roughly half way at a B&B,at a cost of £60.The stay at the Norbreck costs us £320 for four nights,meals included,plus the cost of the almost 700 mile journey in a large van.My wife has never had a free pass in the 10 years we have attended,the only time she comes into the hall is setting up and taking down periods.
So if I for one had to pay to exhibit on top of these costs would not be attending. Without the show,exhibitors would have no where to exhibit,but on the same hand,without the exhibitors,there would be no show.
  Mick F.
 See you next week on the LBES Display.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:33 pm »

Beal starting charging clubs and we all know what happen to that show. Gone for ever

John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 11:00:01 pm »

Set a standard number of free tickets per table, so perhaps one free ticket per 6foot of  table up to four tables (24linear feet or a good corner display) and then one free ticket per two tables up to 48 linear feet or large open plan display.

The number of trader or exhibitors should have badges to match, perhaps numbered according to a table number so that cheeky free entry by transfer of badge can be stalled. Naturally there has to be a balance between being draconian and being fair to all. Clubs that are long term supporters of a show could reasonably apply for more free tickets if they often get a good turnout of helpers who stay the course and are seen to support their club display and thus the show.
Pond weed is your enemy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 12:30:26 am »

Reiterating what I said in a post in this topic in September 2017, far from being charged entry to shows, many of those that we have attended in the past have actually paid our club for our attendance. This payment has never been asked for, but was given in appreciation of our time and effort. We have never been charged to display at any show I have been involved with as a member of our club, indeed all members manning the stand are granted free admission.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dave (Stavros) when he says that no club should ever be charged to display, as without the clubs and models there would be no shows.

Peter.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:11 pm »

Only if they want to kill the show stone dead.
As has been said before Beale Park was one of THE shows to go to.
Charging for tables and entry killed it stone dead.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »

Just preparing to attend The South West Model Show at The Tank Museum in Dorset this Sunday. They are providing five free tickets and two free tables. This is fine for a IPMS type group, whose models could be fitted five deep in the average bath! However, we will be bringing RC boats, 1/6 tank and 1/1 Steampunk Robot, plus many other things, also eleven more members. We will be paying for those extra tickets and dividing the cost down amongst the members. also we will be trailering all our own tables there. We are quite happy to do this. We recognise that no organiser can provide a one hat fits all option, and this one works for us just fine, day out, show off your models, see some tanks, nice.
On the subject of paying clubs to attend, I think it depends on what they bring to the party. We charge for pyrotechnic shows, cos they cost money to stage, they also take time to prepare, and we have had to put the H&S legwork in over the years to get it right. However, sometimes we have let it slide or charged a nominal fee, if the event is either small, or working for charity purposes. You have to be grown up about this sort of thing.
Hopefully, gone are the days of the freeloaders putting their 18 inch Yarra tug on the table and buggering off for the day to look round the event, or the times I have seen club tables with the members obscured, intentionally or not, I know not, unable or unwilling to communicate with the public.
Our display layouts very often have the tables jammed up against the walls, putting our members out front, where the public are, able to engage with them one on one on any subject that may come up. Although, as we are all getting on a bit, we have had to start adding an area for collapsing in a heap and dozing off %)

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »

Hopefully, gone are the days of the freeloaders putting their 18 inch Yarra tug on the table and buggering off for the day to look round the event, or the times I have seen club tables with the members obscured, intentionally or not, I know not, unable or unwilling to communicate with the public.
Tug? Try single cylinder steam engine. The same one for the last 5 years at least, with a tantrum if the person organising the stand points this out. And no, said member isn't going to sit behind the stand...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:00 pm »

Hi all, I have made previous contribution as St.Albans model show.  The only requirement we ask for is that you as visiting exhibitors help us clear up at the end of the show.  This goes down very well and enables us (OAP's) to continue running the exhibition.
A few years ago I had a Meccano exhibitor with two small items on a 6 foot table go off in a storm because  he had to go and get his own chair!  His Chairman had a few words to say to him!  He stayed but no one ever got a 6 foot table again with very little to put on it.

We hire in tables they cost about £4 each for the weekend delivered and collected.  This we decided was a bargain compared to when we were at the Marlborough school where we received the least help ever and had to tour the classrooms for tables and then put them back afterwards.  Our previous school venue had a lot of tables available as they used the school for shows and make some money for themselves.
regards Roy

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.