Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rugby In Schools?  (Read 5295 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Rugby In Schools?
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:56:24 am »

Anyone have exerience of playing rugby at school...either yourself or your children?

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Rugby In Schools?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30:57 am »

Yes
Hated it
 <:( <:(
Our playing fields were a bus ride away and we were given the oldest ones so it did not matter that we left mud on the floor.  Drafty and cold and coming home in wet and muddy clothes was enough to put me off sport for ever.
Thank goodness we were allowed to change to swimming.  O0

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:47 am »

Yep, my secondary school was quite keen on us playing rugby regardless of the time of the year! It hurt like hell especially when I got the spikes into my back during a scrum!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:17 am »

I'm assuming you refer to this mornings news of the attempt to ban tackling in rugby for kids at school? I despair for the country I really do. People are rushing headlong into a reality controlled by health and safety nutjobs and we let them do it.

It won't be too long before the world is controlled by artificial intelligence and everyone is living like Bruce Willis in the movie Surrogates --
You never leave your room living on a couch with your entire life spent connected to a computer, your very existence controlled by the machine.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:12:33 am »

Yes, loved it. A whole lesson to get back at school bullies. Rugby, more than just a game.
Just seen the reason for the post, some half wit has decided rugby is to dangerous for our little kiddywinks. Children play non contact rugby or tag rugby now anyway, so WTF are they on about.
Did you see her on tv this morning.......typical lefty liberal.......they will ban tiddlywinks next same as they did with conkers....makes my bloody blood boil.
Rugby when taught correctly and played in the spirit of the game is no more dangerous than going to the shops. Plus 99% of people I know that play rugby are genuine, nice people, more than can be said for the game that is ruining the ethos of sport ......maybe should ban that...... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:35:12 am »

Yep & loved every minute of it... I played at school in the mid 70s (probably had something to do with a Welsh PE teacher {-) {-) ) & also played Loosehead for my local team (junior & senior level) I was a bit on the large side when I was at school (& after I left :embarrassed: :embarrassed: ) & I wasn't a fast runner or any good at the other sports on offer at school so rugby was a natural choice.
I also enjoyed the camaraderie within the team & with the opposition, enemies on the pitch & best mates in the clubhouse after the game, really missed that when I was forced to retire after a nasty injury.. However, in the pro era I would like to see a return to a skills game where you try to avoid your opponents rather than just massive guys just running into each other..

Paul..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:35 am »

I hated it too. It wasn't taught properly and far from providing an opportunity to get your own back on the bullies, they simply used it as a legitimate excuse to beat the s--- out of the smaller boys of which I was one. Then afterwards we all had to jump into a tepid muddy communal bath and hold farting contests. It put me off team sports for life.

Eventually I managed to escape by asking to be goalkeeper when teams were being picked and was banished to the cross country set who were not considered to be any good at the school's team games. This suited me fine as I could run away from school for an afternoon each week. The icing on the cake was that my home was on the usual route so three of us would duck through a hedge to shorten the route and then call in on my Mum for a cuppa after which we would trail in last looking exhausted.

I rather suspect that people's early perceptions of playing rugby might be coloured by how big they were compared to their fellow players. Not so likely to be crushed within an inch of your life when you got your hands on the ball as was the case with us smaller boys.

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:12 am »

We were fortunate to have a sports teacher who loved any sport. Rugby, cross country, football in the autumn and winter months, tennis, cricket, athletics and hockey in spring and summer. He even allowed fishing and golf! He was old school, taught it how it should be played, taught you to stick up for yourself, taught you self respect and respect for others. Saying that, we all had to stop playing one day when one lad had had enough of the so called bully and watched in awe as he belted 10 bells out of the lad, our teacher waited until it done, grabbed them by the scruff of the neck, said to assailant 'you finished?', he nodded, asked the victim 'had enough?' he nodded, right then, shake hands and we can get on with the game. The bully stopped being a bully and turned out a nice chap.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:21:09 am »

Sweet! Bullies in my class were utter b--------ds. One ended up in prison shortly after leaving for which many thanks.

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:07 am »

Being one of the tallest lads in my year, bullies tended to steer clear of me, but one tried his luck and belted me right in my face, for no apparent reason, when i didn't cry or bleed or fall on the ground but asked calmly why he did that he ran off. They never ever came near me or my friends again.
Rugby gave me the confidence to stand up for myself and and also respect. So please whoever you are, stop meddling with a true life skill sport.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:08:08 am »

We who live/lived on the Wirral had no choice really, if you went to a secondary modern it was footie in winter cricket in summer; though those who went to grammar school had rugby, rowing and cricket and so the social divide was cleaved.

LB

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:20:44 am »

True LB, but i went to secondary modern school.
Our town was a true rugby town, several private schools and grammar schools. Most of the rugby clubs all aimed to get at least one or two lads into the towns colts squad, this fed up into the main club. My uncle played back in the 50' and 60's along side Budge Rogers who was England captain at the time,  my uncle was, not my words, the best hooker in the country. He couldn't get in the England team because he didn't go to the 'right school'. Budge managed to get him as a replacement for a substitute.....!  That was the best he could do and nearly lost his captaincy over it. Glad those times have changed.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:29:18 am »

It has often amused friends in the States when I told them I was a Hooker at school.  I ended up breaking a leg when the scrum collapsed badly.  All sports have an element of risk.
I took up cross country instead and enjoyed it.  Later fencing and rowing.  Being short and with a loud voice I became Cox of the school first eight.  The fencing led in later years to Kendo and Iado, which I did for eight years.  Could you imagine them trying to ban Kendo in Japan? 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

inertia

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 12:06:05 pm »

This bloke was our rugby master. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/feb/17/guardianobituaries.sport
He used to say that the dimples in the cheeks of your backside were designed by God exclusively for the shoulder of the bloke behind you in the scrum.
Me being very short-sighted in one eye was a problem, for without my specs I couldn't see a damn thing beyond about five feet away.  In the end Chalky allowed me and a couple of equally myopic mates to go tenpin bowling instead - as long as we kept the scorecards to prove we'd been. He would have been scathing about any suggestion you could play rugby without tackling.
I agree.

surfs up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 03:33:28 pm »

I played for club and school but had to stop due to knee injuries,but loved every moment of it.
My started playing at the age of eight for local club,I got roped in to coaching and had to attend a lot of training courses myself to do this.
My lad has also had his injuries, broken Collar bone a couple of broken fingers, airlifted to hospital twice, last time was paralyzed for 24hrs. He had to stop after due to something that came up on his MRMA (not rugby related).
So having said all of that, the kids who regularly got injured were the ones who did not want to be there, so because of it's physicality I think no child should ever be forced to play.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:00:28 pm »

IIt put me off team sports for life.
Colin

I had a similar experience about team games but from the teacher........

I remember vividly the teacher who was one of the most despicable bullies if you were not team game oriented, taking us on to the pitch at the beginning of the cricket season, and setting up the trampet and the class in an arc..........remember his words to us............

"I'm going to make you catch these balls 'til your hands bleed"..........and as I was crap at football, he singled me out every alternate throw by shouting my name to catch the ball...........

hated cricket for years, and certainly still cannot catch a thing thrown to me. >>:-( >>:-(

I was glad when swimming and field events season came along as I excelled in swimming and discus.

jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 10:57:33 pm »

I played Rugby at school in the late 40s and early 50s, not very well, I was always in the lower grades, but I enjoyed it. I still follow Rugby to this day, despite the fact that New Zealand beats us every time we play :embarrassed:  Then again, the All Blacks beat just about everyone.

Peter.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 08:32:45 am »

"Then afterwards we all had to jump into a tepid muddy communal bath and hold farting contests. It put me off team sports for life." - Colin Bishop

I am still coming to terms with the thought of Colin (pillar of the community) Bishop being involved in underwater farting contests!  :o :o 
It's quite put me off my breakfast.
Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:37 am »

To misquote President Clinton,  I didn't exhale myself if that puts your mind at rest.

Colin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:13 am »

Then you must have INhaled and that plus the schoolboy habit (in which I'm sure you did not indulge) of having a sly drag at a Woodbine if unobserved, must have created the immediate risks of both asphyxiation and conflagration.
The youth of today has no idea of the risks their parents ran in the "Good Old Days".
BM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:16 am »

Actually I have never had a ciggy in my life.
I have other vices.  ;)
Colin

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:49 pm »

They worry about tackling? Back in my time the hooker didn't even have to keep one foot on the ground; you could swing on your props and retrieve the ball from the other side's second row. There were certain risks in doing this, so I moved to scrum half. Not a clever move - when not being flattened by rampant wing forwards you'd be lying in the mud holding the ball for conversions.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »

at my school we did hockey, this was the full contact version played at a boys school, (I am sure that will be banned soon as well since it involves thrashing about with sticks.
I was fortunate enough to be on the large side, so was placed in goal, with pads and kickers (steel toecaps worn on the outside)
with these I would get into the scrum, and kick the ball clear, even if there were sticks in the way, I just barrelled through.
the way we played hockey, rugby was a nice safe game by comparison, I can remember people getting hit in the stomach or worse, with the sticks.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »

Yup >>:-(
Rugby and Hockey were sports I loved.
Today, to climb a rope in the Gym involves
A helmet and safety harness and a qualified
Elfin to write the risk assessment 8)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 04:20:28 pm »

Just come to my thoughts,
Who wrote the training manual
for the first tranche of Elfin's?
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.