Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rugby In Schools?  (Read 5292 times)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rugby In Schools?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »

You can look to the compensation culture to understand why we have to have so many safety assessments!
Regards,

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »

I was always told that Rugby was a game played by men with curiously shaped balls.

Might explain its appeal.

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 06:34:32 pm »

The difference being........
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:25 pm »

Give blood..   
Play rugby

O0   JB.. giving plenty...still in hospital...cardiac surgeon seeing me tomorrow......no problem..I need fixing soon.  {:-{
Posted with my samsung mobile. <*<

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »

Hated every minute of rugby at school. Football, cricket, baseball, athletics, cross country, you name it, I was up for it, but not rugby. Still avoid it like the plague when it's on TV. My Dad loved it, my older brother loved it - both played for their schools and my dad played at county level - even my daughter loves it (instilled in her by my dad, no doubt) but not me.

In the 4th and 5th years of secondary school (years 10 and 11 now, I guess),  a group of us were given an exemption from all outdoor PE, replaced with detailed science and language projects. I think just one of the group had a medical exemption and the school needed more than one person in the group. So it was into the games hall, check what was on for that day and either join in or opt out. So the last rugby I played was in 3rd year, at least a couple of years ago (liar!). :)
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 11:00:38 am »

The gist I got (apart from the usual journalistic desire to esculate something to make a story out of) is to do with how well Rugby is taught. As said above, if it is taught poorly kids will get injured beyond what we would call natural knocks and scrapes.

One good thing that the American Football association did was to prevent head butting which was found to cause brain damage.

This suggests that an adult way of going on would be to look at contact sports with an exerienced eye (not something everyone has even in the HSE?) rather than have kneejerk reactions to everything assisted by the media's love of sensation.
Pond weed is your enemy

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:40 pm »

The gist I got (apart from the usual journalistic desire to esculate something to make a story out of) is to do with how well Rugby is taught. As said above, if it is taught poorly kids will get injured beyond what we would call natural knocks and scrapes.

One good thing that the American Football association did was to prevent head butting which was found to cause brain damage.

This suggests that an adult way of going on would be to look at contact sports with an exerienced eye (not something everyone has even in the HSE?) rather than have kneejerk reactions to everything assisted by the media's love of sensation.

A stand out post in my opinion...a really good thread chaps..most enjoyable..in between the nurse's poking around and sticking sharp things in my body..
hard to post on my phone, I'll go over to the new heart thread later... O0
Some news to mention... :o
JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:04 pm »

Rugby at senior school - a West London Comp - was the 'look forward to' sport for me.  I absolutely loved it and played from the age of 11 for the school right through to the 'Old Abbotsonians' old boys club when I copped a bad knee injury at 19.
I still adore to watch the game to this day..........cant abide football and never have.

Football - A gentlemans game played by hooligans
Rugby - A hooligans game played by gentlemen..................

To see and hear a professional rugby player - over 6' tall and weighing nigh on 160kilo - sheepishly apologising to the ref for a misdemeanour: "sorry Sir" (I heard it on a match broadcast on TV a few years ago) reinforced the nature and discipline of the game to me.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 10:49:19 pm »

Played from 8 until 32 coached colts etc. In my experience 90% of bad injuries are caused by wrong technique in the tackle or collapsing scrums. When I started in the dark ages it was full contact rugby even in junior school lol.
I think it teaches control of aggression and sportsmanship but I am biased  %)

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 11:03:37 pm »

Always makes me chuckle when they tower over the ref  but meek as lambs.......sorry sir, i will tell our No 5 to stop...... {-)
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 07:46:25 am »

Yes
Hated it
 <:( <:(
Our playing fields were a bus ride away and we were given the oldest ones so it did not matter that we left mud on the floor.  Drafty and cold and coming home in wet and muddy clothes

I experienced a bus ride to a distant rugby field in the pouring rain, came back cold wet ..and muddy after slipping down a banking to get on the field...and i was a parent..going to spectate...oh what a lovely day was had  %) :embarrassed: {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 08:00:35 am »

It hurt like hell especially when I got the spikes into my back during a scrum!

Never had you down as admitting to being soft...I once tried to catch a cricket ball hit very high...it came down almost vertical..straight through my hands...crunch...nearly knocked me out...still had all my teeth...just felt a bit 'wobbly' %% 

Cheers for that post
JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 08:32:40 am »

I'm assuming you refer to this mornings news of the attempt to ban tackling in rugby for kids at school? I despair for the country I really do. People are rushing headlong into a reality controlled by health and safety nutjobs and we let them do it.

Good morning Brian...yep you are spot on...
what's my view?... <*< <*< <*< and an extra one for being a Pifa... <*<

JB. >>:-(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.