Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JB. Heart Surgery.  (Read 17003 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Heart Surgery.
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 02:32:17 pm »

Back to JB's quiz :}

1. ecg monitor, saline bag almost empty hung next to it. catheters in the box on the wall.
2. commode - we all know what thats for.
3. wash handbasin with elbow taps.
4 Incinerator chimney - here's a tale.

Waay back in my yoof (1978) when I started work at hull hospitals, I was a porter. all the hospitals had incinerators to dispose of well, burnable waste generated from day to day. Paper, kitchen waste, basically anything. There were different levels of porters from those who handle waste, laundry etc, up to the uniformed ones you normally see with patients. I was a uniformed porter (later became deputy head until they closed my hospital. I left, did summat else for a few years and returned to do my pharmacy technician training) One of the more unsavoury tasks was to be called to theatres to collect limbs that had been amputated. Sometimes these had to be kept for pathology so were delivered to the mortuary (fridges you see!) Otherwise they were incinerated. The incinerator having two ends, the main end where all the refuse went, and a smaller door at the back where the heat was super heated for disposal of human remains.

Anyway with the clean air act and many new regulations, hospitals closed their incinerators and yep you guessed had then to pay private companies to collect and dispose of 'household' waste. Limbs were then delivered direct to the mortuary for disposal - I have absolutely no idea what happened to them after that.

As an addendum, nothing caused more snickering than a porter with a yellow (plastic wrapping) shaped leg under his arm!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:47 pm »

Hey Neil...hiya! What's Bludging...? If you don't mind me asking, i've not heard that one before..(sheltered life)  :}
JB.

hi jb........I learned a lot of things whilst in good ol' OZZ, and many terms and endearments to..........this was one of them.

bludge/bludging

blʌdʒ/
Australian/NZinformal

verb
gerund or present participle: bludging

• shirk responsibility and live off the efforts of others.
    "they were sick of bludging on the public"

• seek to obtain (something) at the expense or through the generosity of others.
      "the girls bludged smokes"

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 08:24:20 pm »

I worked part of one day at a laundry that did hospital contracts'
The morning was doing sheets from one of the nursing homes, They came in large plasticized bags, some of them were more full of excrement then laundry and most  had at least a quart of liquid in them.
I made it through to lunch time, went out side for some fresh air and to through up.
After lunch time we started on the Hospital bags. The first lot was sheets and they were much better than the morning lot, I was thinking I might make it through. Then just before break time we got the surgical bags, the first one had bloody sheets and scrubs in it, the second one had sheets and body parts in it, mostly fingers and toes. I did not stay for the third bag.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 10:55:29 pm »

JB.....Neil is absolutely correct in his description of bludging , however possibly a little too polite

If we said ....'he is a lazy bludging bas##ed....about the only place he would walk to was the Government Centrelink Office to submit his out of work papers for the 'Government Support Payment' would be perceived as a common statement

Australia currently has an average of ~~12% registered unemployment......some isolated areas or Towns appear to have up to 30% of under 25 year olds unemployed

Successive Governments have introduced not only training courses, but Programs termed as ''Work for the Dole"......where long term unemployed under 25's must attend scheduled Community work...such as weeding natural vegetation in Parks & Community areas

One side of this was to attempt to remove the stigma of ...they are only bludging bas##eds.....'

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »

Yep...it's a nightmare!!!

I'll read new posts in a bit...not to sure this Win 10 PC is working as It should...no surprise there, can't find stuff I need and it all strange ...to me anyway, diff keyboard and new router is not sorted out yet, old router keeps dropping out.

My son is on road, accident right in front of him at 11.40am...situation is live on A34 Whitchurch, Hampshire...if your going around there,...trailer with cow's aboard turned over, no one hurt, maybe a new thread? he has photo's and video.

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »

Back to JB's quiz :}

1. ecg monitor, saline bag almost empty hung next to it. catheters in the box on the wall.
2. commode - we all know what thats for.
3. wash handbasin with elbow taps.
4 Incinerator chimney - here's a tale.

Waay back in my yoof (1978) when I started work at hull hospitals, I was a porter. all the hospitals had incinerators to dispose of well, burnable waste generated from day to day. Paper, kitchen waste, basically anything. There were different levels of porters from those who handle waste, laundry etc, up to the uniformed ones you normally see with patients. I was a uniformed porter (later became deputy head until they closed my hospital. I left, did summat else for a few years and returned to do my pharmacy technician training) One of the more unsavoury tasks was to be called to theatres to collect limbs that had been amputated. Sometimes these had to be kept for pathology so were delivered to the mortuary (fridges you see!) Otherwise they were incinerated. The incinerator having two ends, the main end where all the refuse went, and a smaller door at the back where the heat was super heated for disposal of human remains.

Anyway with the clean air act and many new regulations, hospitals closed their incinerators and yep you guessed had then to pay private companies to collect and dispose of 'household' waste. Limbs were then delivered direct to the mortuary for disposal - I have absolutely no idea what happened to them after that.

As an addendum, nothing caused more snickering than a porter with a yellow (plastic wrapping) shaped leg under his arm!

Correct again Brian...you have an unfair advantage!

I was plugged in to the monitor...tied to the trolley...dunno about the saline...prob pumped it into me, I was out cold at the time...another story.
Como...not mine!
Didn't need the sink.
nothing coming out of the chimney...although it does burn clean, it's next to the mortuary,you do see lots  of van type vehicles with blacked out windows going back and forth...I know I've seen them...I often park there waiting for my wife when she has a ENT appoinment, not seen any staff carrying bright coloured packeges though {-)

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 06:33:02 pm »

I worked part of one day at a laundry that did hospital contracts'
The morning was doing sheets from one of the nursing homes, They came in large plasticized bags, some of them were more full of excrement then laundry and most  had at least a quart of liquid in them.
I made it through to lunch time, went out side for some fresh air and to through up.
After lunch time we started on the Hospital bags. The first lot was sheets and they were much better than the morning lot, I was thinking I might make it through. Then just before break time we got the surgical bags, the first one had bloody sheets and scrubs in it, the second one had sheets and body parts in it, mostly fingers and toes. I did not stay for the third bag.
Gerald.

Oh my word...it's an epidemic...blood and body parts all over the place.
good job I've had my tea...won't sleep tonight...is it Halloween yet? I can't remember what date it's on...
Thanks for the (gory) post Gerald  %% :-))

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 06:45:49 pm »

hi jb........I learned a lot of things whilst in good ol' OZZ, and many terms and endearments to..........this was one of them.

bludge/bludging

blʌdʒ/
Australian/NZinformal

verb
gerund or present participle: bludging

• shirk responsibility and live off the efforts of others.
    "they were sick of bludging on the public"

• seek to obtain (something) at the expense or through the generosity of others.
      "the girls bludged smokes"

Hi Neil, thanks for the explanation, thought it would be something along those lines...I remember you saying you had spent time in OZ but didn't connect the word with our friends there...should be a photo below..might jog a memory or ring a bell.
, We did meet some years ago, just the once...I'll remember when it was later...was after 2011...memory has deserted me at the moment :D

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:51 pm »

JB.....Neil is absolutely correct in his description of bludging , however possibly a little too polite

If we said ....'he is a lazy bludging bas##ed....about the only place he would walk to was the Government Centrelink Office to submit his out of work papers for the 'Government Support Payment' would be perceived as a common statement

Australia currently has an average of ~~12% registered unemployment......some isolated areas or Towns appear to have up to 30% of under 25 year olds unemployed

Successive Governments have introduced not only training courses, but Programs termed as ''Work for the Dole"......where long term unemployed under 25's must attend scheduled Community work...such as weeding natural vegetation in Parks & Community areas

One side of this was to attempt to remove the stigma of ...they are only bludging bas##eds.....'

Derek

HI Derek, thanks for the unabridged version of Neil's explanation!

I knew there would be more to it...I used to walk back from work...not exactly sure how far but it took me about 30-40 minutes at least...have to check the distance and correct that if needs be, biked to work when I was 15-18...even in the snow (fell off in the ice more times than I care to remember) got soaked to the skin many a time, never did me any harm (bu**ed now tho!!!).

I'm sure it's no different here in the north, when my lad was in between jobs he had to attend certain 'classes'...so just like OZ really, I needed a gardner as I couldn't cut the grass or prune the shrubs at our place, had about 4 different men..not all at once...not that rich!..skint as it happens...not one came back a second time?...my son knew qa lad just starting up in gardening around the village, OK we need him for a full day to cut down the forest I had...got to be a nightmare...wife was tired of it all, she couldn't get out safely to feed the birds...she has several nest boxes and lots of feeders etc, Tom turned up and did a full day..£100...I had agreed that beforehand.

He was supposeed to come again a month later...didn't turn up, when asked by my son why not?...to wet...can't do it in the rain etc..OK next time he's asking me can he come over, nope I'm ok thanks... <*< a young lad..he'll learn!!!

My son knew another gardener/tree feller...bit older..a grafter, he's more expensive and hard to get hold of...all my garden..it's a corner plot...cut down..taken away...in 2 days...well pleased now :-))

My son is the same, runs his own business, employs 3 men, he hasn't had a day off in 3 weeeks, will work weekend and Sunday to keep his customers happy...he transports new car for main dealers...VW - audi - Mazda - lastest customer - BMW...others to..even a few Jaguars...an F-type not long ago.

He's doing OK without any help from me...I did lend him a few K to start him off that's all.

JB. (Windows 10!)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:44 pm »

I used to use the A34 regularly for work and it could be a snooty "xxxxx" for holdups. I used the Whitchurch turnoff numerous times as well to get to just east of Overton.

Pond weed is your enemy

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:37 am »

I used to use the A34 regularly for work and it could be a snooty "xxxxx" for holdups. I used the Whitchurch turnoff numerous times as well to get to just east of Overton.

I'll need to be quick here..our power going off soon. leccy here running a new cable, . no news about hospital stuff yet, maybe today?

My son has just shown me the video of the cow trailer crash...it's good..if an accident can be good?..no!... need to rephrase that...

Exciting...nope...a warning to traiier owners? yep...seen it happen before...once they start swaying there's no stopping it going over...no injuries except 1 cow knocked out! ...recovered apparently.

More later on a new thread??? would that be acceptable on the forum..I'm not sure?  got photo's and the vid..about a minute long...

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »

Remember Brian60's post 35, flooding in Barca?...my reply in 36 re our road flooding...can't really beleive it but right on cue! photo's taken today 11/11/17.

It's a wave!
Son's truck...right on cue...a coincidence.
Me resting...(chilling out)!

JB.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »

Remember Brian60's post 35, flooding in Barca?...my reply in 36 re our road flooding...can't really beleive it but right on cue! photo's taken today 11/11/17.

JB.

Where do you keep your time machine? It's only October here
Don't Assume Check

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:38 am »

Where do you keep your time machine? It's only October here

Is it? so it is...must be the roundabout i'm on  {-)

Not really sure but it might be my heart trouble/brain/wife...! or this Win 10 PC...bill's trying to scramble my head with his ideas.

I've a funny feeling it could be these tablets i'm on  O0

The bottom line could be a clue...TOOLS AND MACHINES...I don't drink alco...  ???

Thanks for the reminder Dougal :-))

JB.

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:36 am »

Never mind the prescription medicines. The important advice is "Keep out of reach and sight of children". But they will always find you! Didn't Mr. Whitworth start a thread somewhere? Just right for nuts like us.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:04 am »

Phenergan 25mg tablets, pale blue colour and used for the treatment of allergic conditions of the upper respiratory tract and skin including allergic rhinitis, urticaria. May also be used to aid sleep :-))

Hive of all knowledge me. especially as I have my access to the online BNF formulary (medicines handbook) available %%

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 08:39:54 am »

Never mind the prescription medicines. The important advice is "Keep out of reach and sight of children". But they will always find you! Didn't Mr. Whitworth start a thread somewhere? Just right for nuts like us.

Good morning LJ Crew :-))

No children here...well, that's not strictly true...son has a 10 year old daughter but she's only here occasionally and is very sensible and quite intellegent...prob gets that off me?
'Mr Whitworh' is from Pakistan I think, I thought our Mr W was selling sugar or something?

Oh...I have a few 'rules' one is safe to use cutting balsa and other stuff, got tenth's as well as mm's

Nice to speak to you :-)

JB.  No photo's at the min...

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:01 am »

Phenergan 25mg tablets, pale blue colour and used for the treatment of allergic conditions of the upper respiratory tract and skin including allergic rhinitis, urticaria. May also be used to aid sleep :-))

Hive of all knowledge me. especially as I have my access to the online BNF formulary (medicines handbook) available %%

Correct...again! I'd show you a photo of my pill collection but I can't seen to transfer the SD card to this Win 10 PC  >>:-(
brain is not interested this morning...switching between lying in bed on the old laptop and sitting at the desk on the PC...

No news from the hospital...waiting for the postman again...I'll be making a phone call or two later on...see if I can find out what the latest is on my refferal to the cardiac department...I'm prob in a queue...

So much to learn on Win 10...just scratching around looking for...everything %% It's flippin fast though!

JB.

PS. I can't get the new printer to work either.!!!

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Heart Surgery. Blackpool Cardiac Appt.
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »

I'm booked in for 2 appoinments at Blackpool Cardiac Centre next Wednesday 18th October...don't think they will operate just yet but very soon when they realise I'm not in good shape

Not nervous or worried at all, just want to get my heart fixed.

Wife is getting ready to list all my stuff on Ebay...bike, plastic kits...up to 8 now, Solebay...and my Jag.

If I come out the other side I'll be ordering Deans Cossack...a present to myself, I've made a list of what's needed to make a good start, Determined to have a mate for Solebay...

Only 6 days to wait. :-))

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2017, 02:17:18 pm »

Hi guys...Blackpool cardiac kept me in since the 18th October..!  I've had lots of tests inc an Angiogram, camera down throat to look at the heart with echo..not sure how that works... blood taken nearly every day!

Everything is good so the surgery is tomorrow the 6th November...around 1pm..

Plan is for replacement Aortic valve and possible triple bypass...the surgeon will decide when he is in there...!!!
Expect to be back in the land of the living Tuesday morning...

Wife and son coming for a visit soon so I`ll be off now.

Catch you later... :-))

JB.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 02:28:50 pm »

Best of Luck with surgery JB.
They say that the best way to a mans heart is through his stomach, As you have found out, they usually go through your groin. Had the Echo down the throat one and have had problems with acid reflect ever since, hope you do better.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2017, 07:11:53 pm »

Keeping tuned in for your next post JB
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »

Best wishes for the op. Could happen to any of us.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »

all the very best Jb...............hope everything goes well, and soon on the road to recovery. :-))

neil.

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2017, 08:19:20 pm »

Best of luck JB. Last time I went under the knife I watched it all. But I guess you may not be able to for this one. Ask for the video afterwards! Going to Yorkshire for three weeks tomorrow so I'll catch up when I get back. Cheers John.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.