Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spookoiny  (Read 2380 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Spookoiny
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »

Felt the desire to build another warship model and, after a little searching for something a shade different. went for a Russian destroyer.  No, not one of the modern types which are covered with weapons but the Type 7U from the WW2 period.  Perhaps not well known but there was just enough information easily available to build a reasonable SOS model.
The construction was my usual balsa box method which, using a scale around 1/140, gave a hull 32 inches (81 cm) long.  The final operating weight was some 3.75 pounds (1.7 kg).
Not wanting to waste the chance to try something new, it was powered by two RE385 motors rather than the single screw system I usually use.  By playing with a transmitters internal mixing function it was possible to steer the model using just the motors.  I knew this method worked with "beamier" models and wanted to see how a having the prop shafts closer together would affect it.
In fact if proved possible to rotate the model on the spot with some careful manipulation of the throttles to prevent it creeping ahead or astern.  Trying to sail and steer the model using just the motors was less comfortable and found it easier to run the motors together and steer with the single rudder installed between the propellers. Even though the rudder was not directly behind a propeller, it seemed to be just as effective as if it were.
Even though the operational history of these vessels was limited, they do make a quite handsome model. Well, I think so.  Plans drawn up and waiting to be posted to the Model Boats magazine
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Spookoiny
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »

Ooh, she's a sweetie Mr G. The funnels look nice aidn complicated, I will keep a good lookout for the article and glean the technique you used to make them. There are similarities to Penelope's funnels in their shape (caps excluded).
Pond weed is your enemy

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 11:44:22 am »

Redrafted construction notes, plans and photos sent off to the Editor of "Model Boats"  It's a straightforwards model to build, maybe not the most detailed but looks and sails well.
Could also give the "pondside pundits" a problem as they try to identify what vessel it was based upon?
Glynn Guest

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:07 pm »

Nice job GG!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 10:09:29 am »

After over 2 years this is to be the article/ "free" plan in the July edition of Model Boats available 2023.06.16

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 01:03:39 pm »

Tug Fanatic,
              More like over 5 years and 4 Editors since it was first sent to the magazine...!!

Glynn Guest

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 11:59:59 am »

And how many accountants?

Nice design Glynn

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 06:25:11 pm »

She looks like an Italian design. I'll have to find a copy of Model Boats!
Pond weed is your enemy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 08:26:33 am »

Hi GG and anyone else who is interested in mixers
I do have a Fleet Plainsman which has a mixer but otherwise I have a few separate units.
I have a particular one which has a single channel control that feeds two O/Ps for two separate esc's with another I/P from the rudder servo control that controls the mixing.
This answers the normal driving problem by using only one throttle control on the Tx. and has the benefit of mixing controlled by the rudder.
I bought this on ebay from a seller who did not know how to use it and so it was unused.

I have not seen anything similar on the usual sites has anyone else?

Regards
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 11:02:02 am »

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:40 am »

I'm with "Subculture" on this topic, rather than automatically buying an external "mixer" to install in your model, read the instruction booklet that should have come with the RC outfit.  Mixing of different channels is often possible.

As most multi channel transmitters are biased towards model aircraft rather than boats, you have to familiarize yourself with the different terms, like Mode 1&2, Delta, V-tail and such like.  My favorite is to use a transmitter with two dual axis sticks in MODE 1 with the "V-tail" mix selected.

This allows me to sail a twin screw model with the conventional controls of rudder on the right-hand horizontal stick movement and both motors working together on the left-hand vertical stick movement.  BUT, leave the rudder alone and move the left-hand stick horizontally and you have the two motors working in opposite rotations.  This can be used to rotate a stationary model or, when sailing ahead, tighten the turning circle whilst still allowing normal sailing using rudder and motor controls.

It was described a couple of times in the magazine "Model Boats", the most recent being in the "Spookoiny" plan feature (July 2023).

Glynn Guest   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.