Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine HMS Cossack, viable for a G & P novice?  (Read 6041 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Deans Marine HMS Cossack, viable for a G & P novice?
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:27:15 pm »

As I would like (need) to escape drydock in the chit chat section, would a Deans Cossack be OK for a novice to Glassfibre and Plastic? I can do wood and epoxy - no problem, ex R/C flier and builder, around 20 aircraft from a 5 foot bipe to sports models, most I.C. powered, 2-3 electric, G/F repairs - mixing etc, but not done a full build of a plastic sheet /glass hull model.

I have a deans Solebay bought ready to go from a forum member as an example to go off, I though cossack would make a nice companion, same era, similar size - slightly smaller etc, I'm not certain it's a good idea with my health just now but I'm looking ahead to being able to finish a Deans kit, all being well, what problems will I face? any special tools needed, time to complete, remember I'm retired so plenty of err...time!

Just a few experiences if you have done this already, a taste of what's to (maybe) come...i have seen and printed off bobk's Royal Marine..nice one bob  :-)) but I can't find another of Deans later kits, I think cosssack is a later kit?.

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Marine HMS Cossack, viable for a G & P novice?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »

With your aircraft building experience I am sure you would find HMS Cossack and ideal first boat build.  Your having HMS Solebay will give a good indication of the general build principles, especially the inside.
I have built numerous Dean's ships (you mentioned my Royal Marine - thanks) and provided you plan ahead and check-measure before cutting you should not have any problems.
Personally, I would read through the illustrated instructions several times before removing items from the box.  Info on paints and adhesives is given, plus useful tips.  Try to plan at least two steps ahead as you build.
Their boats all sail well.

Good luck.  Any questions as you go please ask here.  There are a many experienced modellers here who will do their best to help you.

And please !  A build log with pictures would be wonderful  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »

Thank you Bob, yes it all looks fairly easy and straightforward, I note your advice regarding measure check re -measure more than a few times! ha ha... been there done that...made a couple of mistakes...drat...start again at the beginning O0 :embarrassed:

I have done my research into Deans ships, tough to decide which to go for but I think I'm settled now, just needed some reasurrance from a experienced builder like yourself. :-))

I'm sure I can fathom out any jobs I haven't done before, maybe with a question or two on Mayhem.

OK, just have to get it past the wife! I think I can manage that one...

Blackpool show soon, big decision weather to phone Ron on ask him to load a kit on the van, wonder if it might be a good idea to ask for a running gear set to go with the kit...am I talking myself into this?..tell you what, forget the Mrs..she wont mind if I do go to the show and come back looking sheepish..she will expect something expensive anyway, don't want to dissapoint...do we.

Many thanks again Bob, take care and lets see that big-un on the water :-))

Ha she just walked past...I'm relegated to my 'office' in the hallway, sarcastic comment was..what's up pinky? I got no socks on {-)
I'm not responsible for any spelling errors...it's the pills you know, up to 9 now..11 a day. :-X
JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:00 pm »

Blackpool show soon, big decision weather to phone Ron on ask him to load a kit on the van, wonder if it might be a good idea to ask for a running gear set to go with the kit...am I talking myself into this?..tell you what, forget the Mrs..she wont mind if I do go to the show and come back looking sheepish..she will expect something expensive anyway, don't want to dissapoint...do we.

The running gear normally gets fitted about a quarter way into the build, so you might as well get that at the same time, especially if you want to sail it.  Get a brass prop if possible. 

Best wishes   :-)
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:13:33 am »

10 points to the member who can spot the spelling mistake {-)

I've only just seen it...stands out like a sore thumb...what a twerp..me that is %)

OK it's our wedding anni today, 36 years, how did that happen, don't remember a lot about it %%

A thought...do I buy myself something to celeb...remember the day? what can I think of???

Got it...how about a kit of some sort...?

back later when I've worked out what's needed to make a good start,  lots of prep needed first,

yes Bob, definately be sailing it - brass prop/s - sort a new workspace, utility room no good - photo's...lots of those, old fuji bridge cam died, got a Nikon compact to be going on with, it's OK but...how about Nikon B500? that'll be suitable, I don't need extra lenses.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7360468

Might not come from there, I'll shop around first.

Look out... she's coming to see what I'm doing %)

JB.

PS.
A heads up... O0 the old pound coins go out soon..check your 'purse' ...just checking the wife's..found one..looks like the only one...

PPS. M5 closed major accident...not sure where abouts yet... :(( ,,,Southbound J19 -20.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:48:14 am »

36th Wedding Anniversary.  Congratulations.  As you know each Anniversary has a special gift associated with it.  I seem to recollect that the 36th is when you give each other model boats?  Worth a try !                                                                                                                                                                   
I have a Fujifilm Finepix HS20.  As long as it has a macro facility for close ups then photographing model build details will be a doddle.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:56:43 am »

Thanks Bob..I think %%

36 is Bone China..not sure about that...I'll ask see what she thinks...probably get my answer...no she will conform, I wont have it any other way...been nice knowing you all...!

UPDATE.. :embarrassed:

Bone China...nope...she will have a winter jacket...and my special Hotpot for tea...I said how about toast for my brekki...S** off get it yourself..I think it's going to rain later %)

Going to make some toast...

JB.

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »

Hi
 She sails quite well, but only on nice calm days like this one on her sea trials back in 1982,
 bit more stable nowadays as batterys, motors, radio etc, are all a lot smaller and lighter,
 Enjoy
 Deans marine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0enr4GxlU

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:28:51 am »

Many thanks for the video! excellent..was it really 1982...the slow motion part is amazing, looks realistic if you half close your eyes and imagine...what must it have been like to sail on that ship chasing the bismark back in 1941, a sad end though.

I want to build one, plan was to order a kit for the Blackpool show... don't think it's going to happen now...I'm just not well enough to go...story of my life lately, christmas is coming...yes?

New plan is to persuade the Mrs to let me have a kit of Cossack then...I'll tell her I'll pay for it myself but she will buckle before then !!! she will contribute you watch, O0

She's taken my Model Boats mag and looking at it, I'll get her sailing  :}

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 07:35:26 am »

Very quiet around here, I'm OK this morning...no need to worry.

Wife has been reading Model Boats mag! she wants a Duck...as seen in MB.
My work is never done...projects are building up...again.

Refering to Bob's comment re micro on cameras...

A photo of my new meds delivered yesterday taken with my Nikon compact, resting on laptop, no tripod...about 3 inches away...good enough for close up's of models?

JB.

Ha ha...black felt tip not black enough...never mind.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:55 am »

Excellent definition JB.  The Macro settings on you camera might be ideal on both the Cossack AND DUKW, but there is only one way to be sure of course . . .  {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:06:06 am »

That's settled then, wife is having a Duck, I'll add it to the list! always a way to get the Mrs involved in your hobby, she did have a go at flying once...only the once but it helped me to spend build and crash.

So that's cossack - Duck - I like the sound of Deans narrrowboat...Lancaser canal just up the road, did look at them but lots of money, time and you need to be fit! A model might be interesting and different.

Bike to ride, a few (6 various, cars Jeep Tank aircraft) plastic kits to buld, 1000 piece jigsaw of a Classic Car Show, solebay to sail, my heart to get fixed!!! that will have to go top of list...

Can I fit it all in the time I have left? do my best and I won't buckle under regardless :-))

JB.

PS.
I think I've started too many threads in chit chat, over a dozen... can't keep up so if I've missed anyone out...sorry.. it's not intentional or anything, I'll try and keep chipping away at them when I can.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »

I have a question or 2 regarding motors/propellors for Cossack, OK not ordered a kit yet but I think best plan is to get these at the same time, wife threatening to take my debit card off me but I'll sort her out for xmas present time!

I thinking these motors...

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_13/products_id/2596

these props...

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/35_39_41_68/products_id/2100

2 motors/props yes? early Tribal class but different to Nubian etc..Think I have this correct?

I know I could ask Deans but thought I'd ask on here first :-))

I not certain about these so any advice gratefully received.

JB.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

Hi JB

Sounds about right for a destroyer of this size in this scale. I think you may have a slight confusion with the different tribal classes. The WW2 class were near enough identical but the pre-war WW1 class were different to each some with different amount of props, shafts and weapons. Deans do both eras. The WW2 tribals were considered to be the first fleet destroyers whilst the First World War vessels were pretty primitive and classified as TBDs.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »

Thanks RAF, yes I can get confused just now, my memory is now as good as it was before July this year, something happened while I was in hospital but no idea what...!

Anyway, the Tribal I was mixed up about was this one...

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/10_31/products_id/482

Single shaft? different to Cossack class, it's got a heli on the back!
Odd thing here...I have Solebay, slightly larger than Cossack, mine has Kondor's and it's very odd but advertised by Deans as 4.1kg...Cossack shorter and less in beam 4.4kg with Kyte's...

OK it could be a misprint or even my brain/eyesight %% I am daft you know!

Isn't the Kyte smaller than the Kondor or have I got it all wrong? I'm not at all sure now.
looked at most of Deans warships trying to decide which for a first attempt and have that much info swimming around in my head I can't trust my memory which I'm working off.!

All confirmation of my thoughts on motors and propellors noted and acted upon!

Cheers raf and thank you :-))

JB.

any

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 07:14:03 pm »

Hi JB

I just remembered that too!!! So to correct myself Deans Marine do all three different tribal classes.
Don't worry I work for the RAF and it hasn't affected me yet! %%
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 07:58:04 pm »

Hi JB

Don't worry I work for the RAF and it hasn't affected me yet! %%

Well i'm as daft as a box of frogs and your half way there we should make a good team {-)

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 10:13:13 am »

HMS Cossack uses Kondor's with 30mm props, Did some digging and the info is all there if you look for it.

Deans Marine have it all an their site :-))

Now to get it past the wife, It'll only be £300 darling!.

JB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.