Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SMS Prinzregent Luitpold  (Read 1311 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
SMS Prinzregent Luitpold
« on: November 19, 2023, 07:51:19 pm »

From Facebook ....

The German Kaiser-class dreadnought battleship SMS Prinzregent Luitpold being towed back to Rosyth, keel uppermost.

This is one of many German ships sunk by her crew in Scapa Flow in 1919 after the fleet had surrendered in November 1918.

Although they were scuttled to prevent Allied Forces from using the vessels, some were salvaged and used for scrap metal to manufacture British armaments.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: SMS Prinzregent Luitpold
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 11:31:04 pm »

I'm just reading about the ww1 German battlefleet! Thanks for sharing Martin.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 11:50:21 am »

There is a book, The man who bought a navy". Cox was the buyer I think and it goes into detail of how they salvaged the battleships and others. Very many interesting details and pictures.

For those interested in the High Seas Fleet - German Battlecruisers - by Gary Staff I think is unbeatable.

Cheers

Geoff

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 11:53:29 am »

Interesting looking 'Deck Houses'

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 10:59:33 pm »

There is a book, The man who bought a navy". Cox was the buyer I think and it goes into detail of how they salvaged the battleships and others. Very many interesting details and pictures.

For those interested in the High Seas Fleet - German Battlecruisers - by Gary Staff I think is unbeatable.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for the reference Geoff. It's an interesting fleet the Kaiserliche Marine. It shows its deferment to the Army, which is understandable given the central political role Germany played on the continent along with France.

On the subject of recovery and salvage, I can recommend Dracnafiel's trilogy on the works done by the US Navy to salvage the battlefleet post Pearl Harbour. Excellent description and images.

The matter of recovering and scrapping the KM scuttled at Scapa Flow is an interesting and long winded subject that helped bring about the monument movement for wrecks and military sites. Today we see the vandalism of wrecks in the far East for their valuable metal content.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.