Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What grabs you on a build  (Read 1884 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What grabs you on a build
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:57:55 pm »

Hi all I was wondering what grabs you on a build, by that I mean what makes you stick with a build ( obviously the title has an initial grab factor) yes if its a topic you are interested in intially you will watch it but then you may loose interest quickly, but what keeps you watching a build is it the skill, artistry, subject or the way the build is posted ie humorous, technically accurate maybe historical info. My builds tend to be here is a an update oh here is another oh and an other which I realise is so boring and to make it worse I tend to write it on one site then paste and copy to the rest (we all do it) I want to improve in my posting, so what's lacking. I realise I can't be an expert in all the genres I build in (I like so many) but I've noticed you don't have to be an expert to get loads of views and comments so it can't be solely down to knowledge or skill. So what is it that gets people following a build. Subject matter, skill, knowledge or some indefinable amorphous thing.

T33cno

Re: What grabs you on a build
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:48 pm »

Good pictures
They speak volumes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »

I prefer magazines myself, just seems more satisfying than a computer screen and the whole thing is properly edited too. Nothing wrong with a forum build though if well presented.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:43:58 pm »

regular posts with explanations as to what is going on.
 O0

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »

Obviously there are many talented builders on this forum as evidenced by the models they build.

What keeps me interested, because I do not follow all builds to fruition??

Simply put, I ditch those, who are up themselves, or full of it, what I mean, it becomes apparent to me at least, when a "builder" is looking for glory and loves themselves, and or gets up tight about commentary, whether jovial or whatever about their build.

Yours are fine continue as you are, it ain't broke so no need to fix it.

Look these peoples builds, which I follow, as well as your own and many others, 'Bluebird', 'Neil', 'Missy', 'Stan'.

They are all different, there is no 'mould' to follow, just be you and report it how it is and how you did it.

I don't judge a build by the number of followers, some will follow anything and if the builder was more 'human' then the following would be increased.

Mayhem here we come, pity the moderators, the report button is going to be working overtime going by past experience.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:33:36 am »

personaly. I follow ships im interested in. and by the level of detail and construction...flowed by the higest ranking last did I learn anything new about things im looking to do in my build..for example I looked for lighting tips. found very few.. I mean there were lots of pic's showing their lighting fitted in and lit. but that didn't help me. finaly after takeing the plunge ..using surface mount led's,surface mount resisters(smaller easy to hide in the 1206 or smaller packages) and magnet wire&brass tube and strip and a lot of trial and error I finaly was able to not only light the deck lamps and cabin lamps&nav lights but also make it wireless(no conecters.i use 4mm circuit bord contact testers that are spring loaded at both ends soldered into brass tube for my conducters and the whole assembly is held down.together by rare earth magnets.. now would I have loved to have read in a build about how to make the led's  info like pretwist the mag wire,leave  about 5 inches to a foot extra past your run incase you have to reroute or make it removable...  how to hide 5 or 6 led wire runs up a mast....now to be fair I didn't do a picture follow along for mine for 2 reasons. 1st im a nobody and a beginner.. 2 nd my work is not anywhere near the levels I see here all the time..but I keep searching for things like yes you made the crane or outriggers move..thats fricken awesome.but show me what you used and how you did it.   .these are the real gems im looking for. also I don't comment much as eather I have nothing to contribute to a problem or the build is moveing along nicely .. just my 2 cents worth about what grabs me

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:08:50 pm »

I follow lifeboats habitually, since they're my passion, but anything unusual, or well made, gets my attention.

I also love the little challenges of micro engineering, the ingenious solutions people come up with, the everyday items that can become something completely different in the hands of someone with talent and imagination.

I'd love to some day have the modelling talent of the people on this forum, but thus far, I don't!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:58:18 pm »

What grabs me is something unusual, and lovingly detailed.  For example, today at our Lake (Black Park) a new member brought his beautiful six foot model of the paddle steamer Waverley.  It looked so magnificent on the water.
Not necessarily what I would model myself, preferring old unusual warships, but it served to underline the creativity and dedication encapsulated in lovely models like this.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 02:59:17 pm »

Thanks for the replys so far, I must confess a softsopt for the Waverley she is a beautiful ship

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »

I do love the ingenuity of some modellers and how they make scrap pieces of plasticard or new for that matter, with bits of wire or cotton or whatever comes to hand to make an item that looks just like the actual piece of equipment either by casting it or just painting it, then how it fits within a detailed to the extreme small boat - Brocklesby etc. to that level of detail. not being able to get to that quality I try to make an item at least look crewed at the scale, since as a Marie celeste boat is good to look at but even better with a crew, several years ago at Stanley park in Blackpool I had my 1/72nd scale airfix german S boat next to 1/72nd Graf Spee, mine was fitted with a crew looking like the Graf Spee had been deserted at Montevideo.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:04:59 pm »

Hi all, first I like the fact that the build is live and perhaps still open to ideas or possibly help over difficulties.  I think we get more this way as a magazine article tends to be limited by space available.  As far as magazines go, the build progress articles seem to go on for years!
I look at most builds on this forum as all of them contain nuggets of information that can be used else where.  I respect the members who brave all and show us what they are doing, well done all contributors.
regards Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:47 pm »

I look for and like many things.
I like to see a challenge, something that has a bit of difference with a bit of humour and admit when things go wrong. I try to read everything that is posted on the forum as there are many little gems of workmanship sometimes on types of models that I wouldn't make myself but I enjoy to see the builder's log as you have to be quite brave to show your progress. An example of a magazine build is my favourite one so far by Mr Dave Woolley of his spectacular HMS Skirmisher, to which I've seen the completed model for real. I picked up from this build how to make canvas screen covers/dodger from masking tape which I modified to use Tamiya tape on the Train Ferry.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:12:46 am »

Hi all, first I like the fact that the build is live and perhaps still open to ideas or possibly help over difficulties.  I think we get more this way as a magazine article tends to be limited by space available.  As far as magazines go, the build progress articles seem to go on for years!
I look at most builds on this forum as all of them contain nuggets of information that can be used else where.  I respect the members who brave all and show us what they are doing, well done all contributors.
regards Roy

O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.