Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Combat Place. Static Display.  (Read 14727 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Combat Place. Static Display.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 09:19:41 pm »

more.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 09:57:22 pm »

Looking very good the detail is great  :-))

Colin

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »

I was almost tempted to bore that cannon out and let one off! ;) .... tks sir, she is fun to build.  Dennis

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 10:16:41 pm »

Could be fun  :-))

Colin

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:46 pm »

Cannon number one is fully rigged and installed.  Moving on to number two.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 05:59:10 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 03:06:29 am »

Both cannons are rigged and installed.  All cannon balls and racks installed.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 03:06:53 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 03:07:18 am »

more.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 10:41:32 am »

Looking really excellent Dennis.   :-))
Love the detail. It goes to show just how complex all the wooden sections had to be shaped for their purpose.  Shot garlands are a nice touch. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »

Thank you Bob.... I'm weak on my terminology and my plans aren't helping with that.  As I get into all of the support pieces, I'd appreciate some terminology help as to what they really are called.  I'm building what I think is a "fuse" bucket at present.  Its barrel shaped with holes drilled in the top lid and then short sections of rope coming out the top.... all to be painted red.  There will be a series of hand tools that I have no clue... coming later.  But it all makes for a nice kit package.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 03:15:30 am »

Well, I did a bit of research on this "fuse container"... for what better label.  I would like to know the correct terminology for this container. As I understand the way it went: after cleaning the barrel of the cannon, a fabric bag of gunpowder was gently rammed down the barrel to the end. There is an opening at the top of the barrel.  A sharp object was inserted down that hole to open the bag.  A slow burning fuse was then inserted in the hole to come in contact (non burning end) with the gun powder.  The red bucket contains the fuses... right?  I understand the fuse burned very, very slowly and may have been lit in the bucket prior to engaugement with the enemy.  Would like to hear the true story on this.  Thanks,  Dennis

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 10:05:13 am »

These 'fuses' were known as slow matches and in use were held in the end a Linstock, a wooden rod. The tub holds spares in case one went out, they were treated cord which slowly smouldered instead of burning. The tub contains sand so if one of them falls into it there is nothing to burn.
Once the cannon is loaded a steel wire is used to pierce the cartridge (normally flannel as it burns cleanly.) A goose quill filled with fine gunpowder was placed in the hole into the powder inside, the gun captain blew on the slow match to get it glowing brightly then applied this to the end of the quill. This ignited the powder which burned down the quill and ignited the powder in the gun. The match was held in the linstock to allow the gun captain to light the fuse from the side to stay clear of the considerable recoil when the cannon fired.
The slow matches were replaced by a flintlock mechanism but a match tub and linstocks was still kept handy in case the flintlock failed in action.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 02:02:59 pm »

An excellent description Jim..

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 02:28:40 pm »

So you would say the proper term is "Match Tub" for holding the spare "matches".  I need to post  list of the tools I will be building for this kit and maybe a few more.  Here they are: 1. Sponge, 2. Wormer, 3. Ladle, 4. Rammer, 5. Scraper, 6. Handspike, 6. Cat or Searcher, 7. Gunner's Pick, 8. Bore Scraper-And-Spoon for mortar, 9. Gun Powder Container. 10, 11. Match Tub, 12. Tompion to close the muzzle.  I found this list on the internet and closely matches what I have in the kit to build.  As always, I'm open to suggestions and corrections.  Thanks gentlemen.  Dennis  ;)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 06:42:02 pm »

Normal tools would be 1,2,3 and 4 each mounted on the end of a pole long enough to reach the end of the cannon bore. The worm was to remove any unburnt flannel from the cartridge. The sponge was to wet down the bore to make sure that no stray flames were present before  adding the next powder charge. The ladle carried the powder charge down to the end of the bore. The rammer made sure that the powder charge, the ball and oakum packing was pushed fully into the barrel. An extra was the flexible sponge and rammer, a length of heavy cable with a sponge at one end and rammer at the other. This was to allow the crew to work inside the ships hull. The longer rods needed their user to lean out of the gun port.
The handspike no 5 was a long lever that allowed the gun carriage to be moved sideways or lift the rear of the barrel to allow the quoin to be moved in or out changing the angle of the barrel. Normally 2 per gun.
5,6,7 and 8 look more like tools for the servicing of the cannon not for firing so wouldn't be present on the gun deck, being kept in the gunners store.
The powder container was a closed container used by the powder monkey to carry the filled cartridges from the magazine to the cannon. A limited number of cartridges was kept near the cannon for safety.
There would only be one or two match tubs per deck as each would serve several guns. The cannon would normally have their muzzles closed with the tompion (or sometimes called a Tampon), a wooden plug to keep water out. These would only be removed before action. Most cannon were not kept loaded ready for use but loaded once ready for action. Any kept loaded had to have the ball and powder removed every few days or else the powder became damp and useless..

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »

Tks Jim, that info was most helpful.  I will mention later how the kit requires placement of tools and we can go over that for accuracy... sounds like you know your stuff sir.  Tampon huh... interesting.  I wasn't going to say that, but certainly do understand how certain terminologies have transferred to other meanings in a very unique way.
Dennis ;)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 05:15:37 am »

Table has been installed.  Pinned to pivot on one end and hung to rope from overhead beam on the other.  Barrell being "staved".  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:01 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:25 am »

more.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 08:09:03 am »

This is looking a beautifully detailed model, appearing very much like the upper gun deck of HMS Victory.
Hopefully these videos help describe the various equipment on board, and how the ship was worked in action.

Official tour of HMS Victory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWH_CxlMaQ

"Battle Stations" describing how the ship was fought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JqDFaH6vo
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »

Thank you Bob, enjoyed the video links.  They had a hard life aboard those ships of the line.  Yes, I'm trying to model this "fighting station" towards how the Victory would have looked.  The friend I am building this model for as a gift wanted me to build him a model of the Victory.  A rather daunting task and a project that could take a few years.  I came across this cross section kit and decided that this would provide an unusual way of seeing the insides of a fighting ship, such as the Victory.  I think he is going to be pleased as I am.  Its not perfect, but close in some of the details.  I'm in to the various tools and items one would find below decks around cannon.  I still have alot to do yet. and will certainly share the details as we go along.  I think I have enough time to finish her before Christmas.  Thanks to all for the great inputs so far and I'm looking forward to more. :-))   Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »

A pity you are so far from Boston, where the USS Constitution is moored.  Warship of similar era.
I always look forward to your posts.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 04:13:54 pm »

The only ship we have around here is the "Lady Washington"... small, but a very nice replica.  Dennis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.