Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Nymph. Going brushless 2017  (Read 1813 times)

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Aerokits Sea Nymph. Going brushless 2017
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:34:23 pm »

I first built a Sea Nymph around 1964 aged 11; boats being the consuming passion in my early childhood. However, putting this original model aside, jump forward to 1996 when I found the Aerokits models had been re-issued. The original boat was in a state so I built a new one out of fondness for the model. Thanks to modern 5 min epoxy this version only had two brass nails (bow area) instead of the 200+ in the original. As you can see in the photo, the original version was (under)powered by a 4.5 outboard motor.  I note the model looks very much like the Bates Star Craft launch.
The kit was constructed as normal except chine rails were included by oversailing the side ply panels and filing in with epoxy filler. It is also worth doubling up the chine rail through the cabin section as so much of it is pared away for the hull skins and it can easily be broken (flashback to some 30 years earlier!). The flat stern was padded out to a nice curve that also leans out to keep the water down when reversing. A one piece stepped cabin floor lifts out for access. The cabin roof was made in one piece and includes air scoops over the front screen. The door louvres are open to let the air out. The front and main screen were formed in a V  shape and, although raked back, all window ledges were kept horizontal. A better finish would have been to mitre the cabin corners. All voids were carefully filled with expanding foam before the deck skins were added.
In 2017 the decision was to go brushless as the brushed motor meant a heavy displacement resulting in a very bow down attitude at slow speeds. So an EMAX 2822 outrunner motor and escape, supplied some years ago by Vintage Model Boats, was installed and performance on the water was transformed. Speed and duration of runs greatly improved. Going Lipo must be the next step I think to improve performance.
Dr Who has volunteered to helm the boat and I think this looks better than an empty cockpit.
No pictures of the new set up in action but an old photo shows how effective the chine rails are.
(See Sea Nymph Plus to find out what happened to the original version).
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aerokits Sea Nymph. Going brushless 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »

Seeing all the nicely named boats on the Forum I decided the Sea Nymph needed a name to finish it off. So waterslide transfers from eBay were obtained, applied and sealed with spray can varnish.  Seeing the gloss finish the varnish gave to the transom I am tempted to varnish the rest of the hull as it gave a depth to the colour.

Over the years I have tried various liners to the stand but found many of the rubber ones bonded into the paint finish. Current lining is carpet tile which I hope will not give the same problem.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.