Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: £1 coins - How many have thought of this?  (Read 4577 times)

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: £1 coins - How many have thought of this?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:04 am »

Hi Brian, is that the inverted Melbourne, or the real one in Yorkshire?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 08:47:52 am »

Girl in shop said they are seeing lots of fake, but quite good quality, Fivers.

...... thought they were fully counterfeit proof?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 09:23:35 am »

Some years ago there was a panic withdrawal of the £20 note as there were a lot of forgeries about to come into the UK.  People would refuse to have them and I remember that no one trusted the note for some time.
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 09:32:58 am »

Same with the £50 note.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:10:13 am »

From the royal mint website:-
The Royal Mint regularly conducts surveys to estimate the level of counterfeit £1 coins in the UK. A survey undertaken in May 2015 found that the rate of counterfeit UK £1 coins in circulation at the time was 2.55%, compared to 3.03% in May 2014.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:09 am »

Hi Grendel, I stand corrected.  I would think that if 1 in 40 was fake I saw more than my fair share.  The new coins came in very quickly as many of the machines were not prepared for the changes.  Glad we never went over to the Euro!

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 11:45:45 am »

i have issues in my neck of the woods with scottish notes,

i do the commute from west london to  company offices in edinburgh  quite frequently now

i often return with one or two scottish bank notes...

well i have lost count now the number of times daft people near my home have said they 'cant' or 'wont' accept a scottish bank note....

i bought a pint recently in the pub and handed over a scottish £10 to the bar staff..... i got my change and took my pint...

10 mins later when i was sat drinking my pint when the bar manager and the bar staff member came wandering over with my scottish £10 note and told me i needed to give them ' legal tender' to pay for my drink !!!
i made alot of noise and told them it was legal tender and they should keep the scottish tenner.. we had a heated discussion for 5 minutes over the issue, i drank my pint and left, they really were not happy !

wierd huh, narrow minded idiots !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 11:54:51 am »

But you don't feel strongly about it do you Guy?!
  :kiss:

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »

The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:
Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament.  However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.  In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

HM Treasury is responsible for defining which notes have ‘legal tender’ status within the United Kingdom and the following extract from Bank of England’s website may help to clarify what is meant by “legal tender” and how little practical meaning the phrase has in everyday transactions.

https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »

i have issues in my neck of the woods with scottish notes,

i do the commute from west london to  company offices in edinburgh  quite frequently now

i often return with one or two scottish bank notes...

well i have lost count now the number of times daft people near my home have said they 'cant' or 'wont' accept a scottish bank note....

i bought a pint recently in the pub and handed over a scottish £10 to the bar staff..... i got my change and took my pint...

10 mins later when i was sat drinking my pint when the bar manager and the bar staff member came wandering over with my scottish £10 note and told me i needed to give them ' legal tender' to pay for my drink !!!
i made alot of noise and told them it was legal tender and they should keep the scottish tenner.. we had a heated discussion for 5 minutes over the issue, i drank my pint and left, they really were not happy !

wierd huh, narrow minded idiots !

having BEEN going to Scotland for holidays since I started motorcycling at 16, 50 years ago I have been bringing Scottish notes back for years, and the same old jokes from micky mouse to monopoly money often rears its head with arguments from small time people who probably have never been more than 10 miles from where they live.........usually as you say Guy, in pubs in the countryside, where they seldom get Scottish visitors...........I usually take a gulp of my pint before handing them the note...............if they argue, then I say it's the only money I have on me so you can either have the pint back, accept the note or its a free pint and I'll go home.........it's never been a free pint yet, I can tell you, lol. {-) {-) {-)

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
Re: How many have thought of this?
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:53 am »

How good it Poundland  {-)  how apt

they sell some pretty good strong super glue get 6 for your old or new pound coin  :}
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.