Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chuffed though knackered  (Read 1361 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Chuffed though knackered
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »

As a birthday treat our Daughter and Son I. L.  took us to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard .  What a fantastic day out . I have visited before but that was in the early days and I was amazed about how things have moved on and what a great job has been done to make it attractive and interesting .  O K Victory has a lot of top hamper missing at the moment but still is atmospheric and a delight to look around again. Warrior was new to me and a complete knockout. The sheer size and complexity of it is breathtaking, for instance the gun deck with cannon stretching into the distance with all the rods, munitions, small arms set out with the crews domestic furniture .
 I was particularly taken with Boat Shed no 4 , not only the display of small historic boats but the fully set out and working Boatbuilding Skills Centre where from the gallery you can watch the students and craftsmen rebuilding a multitude of wooden craft . The smell of fresh cut teak and mahogany.
 We did not get to see more than a third of all that was available, but considering the combined age of all 4 was about 280 we did not do bad and as our £25 tickets last for 12 months  as many visits as you like I rate it value for money. Add to this the easy park and ride just off the M27 and a quick and smooth bus transfer right up to the entrance I will be going back soon.
 Well thats my tuppence worth.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chuffed though knackered
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:08 pm »

Yes, there is a lot to see and I have an annual ticket too. No way can you visit everything in one day, you need three at least! The Mary Rose alone can keep you occupied for hours as the artifacts recovered from the wreck are just as interesting as the ship herself, if not more so. Your ticket also entitles you to a harbour boat tour. I did this ten days ago to get a better view of the new carrier.

And then of course on the Gosport side there is the Submarine Museum which is excellent and also the Explosion museum although the latter has restricted opening out of season.

What's not to like. I usually visit 5 or 6 times a year.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:46 pm »

A different parking option is to park for free at the submarine museum and get the waterbus to the dockyard. It's part of your ticket and you get dropped off just beside the Warrior.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:11 pm »

Good idea , will do next time.

Hopefully shot of No 4 shed
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.