Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC Query  (Read 1883 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
ESC Query
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »

To have a margin of safety and no overheating problems I'm looking to use a Hawk (my preferred make) 75 or 100 amp ESC for my motor which requires a min. 60 amp ESC.

Only thing is I notice is that those ESC state the use of 4 - 12 LiPos and I'm only intending to use 3.

I'm guessing (always dangerous!) that the minimum of 4 is because the cut-off/low voltage can't be set lower than for 4 cells?

If needs be I could go to 4S, though I'm not looking for manic performance, and that would also give more benefits as regards cool running and greater run time?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC Query
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »

To be honest I'm using motors with a recommended 60 amp rating, with Hawk 60's.

Not so sure on what happens if you try and run a minimum 4s ESC with 3s, probably best not to.

If you can afford to carry the weight a 4S lipo could well be a good plan, I went with 4s for my boat because you can get 16ah lipos in 4s and the joy of brushless motors is that they're very frugal at part throttle, so you can over-battery and just use less stick for longer runtimes.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Since posting I've found an Overlander 80 amp ESC for 2 - 6 LiPos. Just checking out with them that it has forward and reverse.

But as you say 4S would be good for a longer runtime.

What size boat is yours. Mine is to be a Fairey Swordsman at 33" long.

Does your ESC stay cool enough?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:15:06 pm »

A Model Slipway Tamar, 1m long. She's not finished yet but the setup has been used by others with good, cool results. Bench testing in a bucket of water doesn't even get them warm.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:25:14 pm »

Thanks.

It's a more expensive way to go than water cooling, but I'm going to go with my first thoughts which is a bigger than needed ESC, likely the Hawk 100 amp which has a fan, and 4S, so if I do any high speed running I'm well over engineered!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:04 am »

I've heard back from Overlander and their ESC's don't have the facility for forward and reverse.

That makes the decision easier!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.