Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Huntsman rebuild  (Read 62171 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Huntsman rebuild
« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2022, 07:50:37 am »

All looking good Ray

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: April 02, 2022, 10:44:21 am »

Cheers Joe, hope to get a jig made up this weekend for the pulpit rail and order up some silver solder.
I've not used that system before - should be interesting.

Ray.

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2022, 06:22:46 am »

:} Hi from one Ray to another! Have just taken a look through your rebuild thread pages and am on a similar route myself. The model I have recently acquired comes in at ~ 1190mm long which probably makes it 1:8 scale but when I made up some dummy figures they were way too big (225mm high) if fact nuts so I wondered if the bridge deck was lower than the side decks and if so by how much. When I look at a photo gleaned off the web a side view shows that an average body the windscreen at the side view seems to come almost to shoulder level.I actually submitted another thread but then realised I should just you direct. Hope thats okRaynor JohnstonHamiltonNZ

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2022, 08:34:11 am »

Hi there Ray, I have an artists posable figure which measures 5 1/4 inches (133mm) which seems to fit the bill in my boat. I'll do some other measurements later today and take some photos of him in the cockpit and standing on the deck. Hopefully this will help you.

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2022, 09:09:26 am »

Yeah that sounds about right Ray I haven't got around to getting a figure for my Huntsman yet but that measurement would fit fine, about average height of 5.10 / 5.11 I guess.

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2022, 09:56:05 am »

Cheers Joe, I sat the figure in the driver's seat and the head was about a half inch below the screen, which looked about right but, didn't think to take a photo!
I will do later today though  :-)) .

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2022, 10:41:22 am »

Hi Ray I read the size of the figure wrong and thought it was 5.3/4" at 1:12 would be around 5' 9" ish so I guess you could use a figure any where between 5" to 6" in 1:12 scale, so at a guess a 1:8 scale figure would be around 8" to 9" Take no notice of me Ray just exercising the old grey matter, it needs a lot these days.

Joe

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2022, 11:43:37 am »

:-) Just recapping a bit here. I see on page one your boat is 34" long which equates to `1:12Whereas mine at 1180mm equals 1:8 therefore as noted the average figure at say 5' 8" or thereabouts needs a figure approximately 220mm high.Looking at some of the other threads referencing the Huntsman I can now see in the photos that the bridge deck is well below the level of the main deck whereas on my model the builder has made it the same level which makes my figure stand too tall.So KEY question is at what is the measurement from main deck level too the bridge/cockpit decK. If I have the measure from your 34" model I will just convert to suit my 1:8 scale and try my cut out in that.Hope that makes sense.regards and thanks for all input.Raynor J

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2022, 12:21:25 pm »

Hmm, ok let's try this...

Floor of my cockpit to top of side structure is 98mm.
Main deck to top of side structure is 52mm.
Therefore main deck to cockpit floor must be 46mm.
These measurements do not include the windshield.

Hope this helps you a little better however, the above is just using quick measurements with tape measure. I'll try again later this evening when I get to relax a bit.

Regards,
Ray.

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2022, 08:44:34 pm »

:-) Again thanks all for input. Most appreciated and I should be right with all the info supplied.regards allRaynor

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2022, 08:52:11 pm »

:-))

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2022, 10:42:25 pm »

Just bear in mind that the 34" model is a scale of 1:11 and the floor position of a model might not be in the same position relative to the full size boat which is why a figure at the correct scale might not look right if standing, should be Ok sitting though.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2022, 10:49:04 pm »

yeah, that's a good point Chris and thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2022, 11:01:25 pm »

Well, despite my good intentions, I've achieved almost nothing this weekend. Just got the anchor and the rope guide painted and rigged up.

I did, however, get some photos of the artists figure aboard the boat - see what you think...

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2022, 11:26:44 pm »

Just to add that the rearmost part of the cockpit floor is in fact  about level with the deck, see drawing, it slopes upwards but then there is a deep footwell in front of the seats adjacent to the wheel for standing in. I know that drawing is correct as I have the original Fairey Marine drawing and in the full-size boat the engines are positioned under that raised rear section of floor.

Seems that the builder just fitted the floor at the higher level. I had a 1:8 Huntsman 31 which just had a level floor but that was much lower than the deck. As I said you can't bank on the floor being fitted at the "correct" position.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2022, 11:55:37 pm »

Ah yes, I see what you mean Chris...mine does have the 2 levels but not as per the plan. Still, I guess that makes little difference on the model, provided we're not attempting an exact replica.

Thanks for posting the plan Chris, every little helps. :-))

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2022, 08:23:56 am »

Exactly Ray. Often some modellers licence is required.

Won't be long before yours sees water will it?

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2022, 08:28:12 am »

Thank god for moddlers license if it wasn't for that I'd never get it right.  %%

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: April 04, 2022, 09:25:58 am »

Won't be long before yours sees water will it?

Chris

Yeah, that's right Chris, once the pulpit rail gets sorted that'll be the final hurdle then just little bits and pieces.

Ray.

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2022, 02:48:40 am »

O0 Again thanks all for input. Have saved figure pic so can build if not sourced elsewhere. Have altered the superstructure to give the lowered well in the cockpit and even my cut out person now looks right.regards all
Raynor

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2022, 11:19:08 pm »

Hi All, here we go with another little update...

Decided to make the pulpit rail with copper coated mild steel just because that's what I have in stock.
First task was to get rid of the coating using wire-wool. A template of the foredeck was then made and I used this to mark out a piece of ply.
Panel pins were then tapped into place to get the curvature of the main (top) rail and the steel was bent around these and a block of wood used to maintain the height, held in place with a staple.
Because the steel is rather springy I used a weight to hold the steel down against the block -at this point we had a visit from the resident safety inspector... {-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2022, 11:29:50 pm »

...I think the rail height looks about right so the next thing needed is the first of the 4 deck-to-toprail braces.

I got some silver solder paste and a pencil blowtorch from https://www.cupalloys.co.uk/for-model-engineers a couple of days ago and, having never tried silver soldering before, was a bit apprehensive - I needn't have worried, it's brilliant!

Tried a little test piece to get a feel for it...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: April 08, 2022, 11:38:09 pm »

...anyway, we got the brace made and soldered into place - just as the inspector was getting on his feet.
Guess he must have been a bit grumpy coz he made a really close inspection of the joint...
(with apologies for the out of focus shot)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: April 08, 2022, 11:42:12 pm »

That's about it for now - I'll tackle the remaining 3 braces when I'm able to.

Here's a couple of photos of the solder and torch. I think this will be great for future handrail/ladder work. :-))

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2022, 12:45:37 pm »

Nice job Ray, quite satisfying when the silver solder runs into the joint, though I did wonder why you would have an inspectors visit to look at the joints, then the penny dropped,  %% %% {-)

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.