Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Another Huntsman rebuild  (Read 61814 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Huntsman rebuild
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2019, 01:35:01 pm »

I never even thought of that Jim! - thank you for pointing that out.
Definitely one for my hints and tips notebook  O0

Regards
Ray

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »

Hi Ray, I thought you must be an experienced plasticard user.

Never used any yet but will have to when I get to the stage where I'm making window frames etc.

Will be following your build of the superstructure with interest.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 10:32:16 am »

I'm back on it once again...

Since the last update, the hull has been given a couple of coats of lacquer and hardened off.
I then moved on to making templates for the for'd section of the cockpit, and another for the after (passenger) section.

Couple of photos then more to follow...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 10:53:48 am »

Happy with the templates so the for'd bulkhead was made, from 2mm plasticard, followed by 2 side supports for the floor c/w L brackets for the floor to rest on. The bulkhead, floor and riser were then welded together and are removable for access to the motors.
Then the rear floor was made in a similar manner but with a strip hooking over the for'd riser, thus giving a removable section for access to the propshaft couplings - I hope the photos will show what I mean... %)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:08 am »

During the spraying of the hull I'd forgotten about the rudders, so these have now been primed, top coated, lacquered and refitted.

Now for the above deck structure.
Templates were made for the sides, 2 ends and an all around coaming. also, 4 x bulkheads with the slight camber, for the roof, built in.

A few more photos...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 11:39:48 am »

The templates were then dismantled and transferred to 2mm plasticard. At this point I made a note to remember to do the window cut-outs before assembly - it would be a nightmare to cut them accurately once the structure was put together :o

First to be tackled was the coaming which will be 10mm above and 10mm below the deck line.
Next came the bulkheads (currently dry fitted) to keep the coamings pressed up against the deck edges.
The aftermost bulkhead has now been welded in place, along with triangular braces - the rest of the bulkheads will remain dry fitted until the sides are ready.
I was about to weld the remainder of the bulkheads in when I suddenly thought "hang on, are these bulkheads going to line up ok with the window apertures?"

Decided at this point to do a mock-up with the window frames I had salvaged from the original structure.
Fortunately, I had just enough wiggle room so that the bulkhead sides will be hidden behind the window uprights - phew!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 11:53:05 am »

To bring this up to date, the port side of the structure has been made and the window apertures cut using the tried and tested chain-drilling method, filed to final shape, checked against the bulkheads for alignment and the finished article used as a template for the stbd side.

Hope to get a little bit more done this week :-))

Regards,

Ray.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2019, 09:14:31 am »

All good so far , are you going to plank the cabin roof or try and do it in one sheet ?
With being compound curves the roof is a S O B to do without distorting the sides , specially over the window apertures . . .
Bill

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2019, 09:35:20 am »

To be honest I hadn't even considered planking the roof area - I think it'll be hard enough to plank the deck as I've never attempted that on any of my models before. I know it's going to be difficult enough to get the roof to conform to the shape required.
Anyway, we'll see what we can do.

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:11 pm »

Hi Ray
Coming on nicely. I'm currently working on some drawings for a 1:12 Huntsman 31 which I'm going to begin building soon and I'm going to timber plank the roofs. I'd not done it before but it came out great on the Fairey River Cruiser I'm currently building which is similar in having fore and aft cabins. Have also done it on a Huntsman 28.
Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2019, 02:36:12 pm »

Hi Chris, that's a neat looking job you're doing there.
Hope you will put some photos up when you get going with the 1/12 huntsman, it'll be a good one to see coming together  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2019, 03:01:02 pm »

Thanks Ray

Will do. Mine will be slightly smaller than your Huntsman 31 at 31" as opposed to yours at 34".

During my builds there's been a few stages where I've been a bit nervous e.g. sanding the keels and stringers to profiles and fitting the hull skins but they went fine but there is one stage that really fills me with trepidation and that's planking the deck which I'm going to do on a Swordsman. It's going to be a time consuming process! 

Chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2019, 03:10:38 pm »

Good to hear I'm not the only nervous modeller  {-) :embarrassed:
For the deck planking I'm going to have a few practice runs on scrap wood before committing to the model. Same goes for the staining / varnishing  :-))
Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2019, 11:03:41 am »

A little bit more done...

Both sides of the structure have now been made and the bulkheads welded into position.
To keep the sides tight up against the coaming I fitted some Evergreen plastic U channel all round the outside of the coaming. This serves two purposes 1. It holds the side pieces up tight to the coamings. 2. It prevents the coaming from being pushed too far down into the deck opening.
Prior to welding the sides into place I've taken templates of the window apertures for when the time comes to make the window frames.
Incidentally, the U channel is 3.2mm, the sides are 2mm so, once I'm happy with the whole structure, the channel will be trimmed up to the sides.

Another update to follow...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2019, 11:15:10 am »

Bringing the log up to date...

The front and rear screen sections were transferred onto plastic, from the templates, to achieve the basic forms then the window apertures drawn free-hand for the windscreen openings.
These were then chain drilled, cut away and filed down to the lines and once again used as templates for the window frames.
So, the front and rear are now fitted with just some minor filling/filing to be done, then I can move onto the top.

one more photo for now...

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2019, 11:10:29 am »

Looking good Ray, well up to your usual standard, there's something very satisfying about restoring an old boat back to looking new better than building a new kit IMO, great job mate.

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2019, 11:25:48 am »

Thanks for that Joe.
I'm undecided as yet on how to fit the top - whether to attempt to fit it in one sheet (then cut into it for the cockpit) or fit it in sections, filling the joints as we go🤔.

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:44 pm »

Yeah I guess it depends on the finish of the deck, if it's to be varnished or painted, I tend to go for a one piece deck where possible and fit the cockpit in to an opening, unnecessary joints can develop hairline cracks with time, on my Deva the cockpit comes off with the cabin to gain more access to internals just a thought. Ps just noticed you meant the roof not the deck jet another senior moment, just ignore me Ray  %%
Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »

another senior moment, just ignore me Ray  %%
Joe

{-) {-) {-)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:19 am »

Whatever you do for the cabin top KEEP IT LIGHT , with the cut back bows on the 31 hull if it's too heavy forward it tends to plunge into waves unless it's planing, I think that's were I went wrong with my huntress the cabin roof is way too thick, I've moved everything I can to the mid or aft positions (and no, weight in the back doesn't bring the bows up)
Bill

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

Thanks for the info Bill. I was looking at it last night and I think the way forward is to put the top on in sections. It is going to be made with 2mm plastic so it should be light enough. I'm also looking at fitting some bits of balsa to the bulkheads and the sides which will give me a bigger gluing surface. I was going to try and fit the top in one broad strip but decided that would be too much stress on the glued joints.
Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:38 pm »

Almost 3 months since the last update - unbelievable...

Anyway, finally knuckled down and got on with the top. A full sheet fitting was attempted but was never going to work so I opted for fitting in sections.
Also, decided to glue balsa strips to each bulkhead to provide larger gluing surfaces.
The first 2 sections of roof went on ok using Aliphatic on the balsa and cyano on the plastic where it meets the sides. These were left for a full day to harden off. Unfortunately when I released the clamps on the front edge, the joint parted where the Aliphatic and cyano met, so obviously the 2 glues don't like each other {:-{
The third section proved awkward to clamp but we got there in the end.
So, that just left the rear saloon to cover.
One section was giving me a hard time, the part just aft of the cockpit - I spent 5 evening sessions trying to get it glued on, using a number of different glues, and then it suddenly dawned on me - one of the basic 'rules' when applying adhesives - give the glue something to grip!  i.e. roughen the surface. I had been trying to glue the piece, shiny side down, without first abrading the surface - no wonder it wouldn't stick :embarrassed: what a numpty....

Well, we got there eventually, the excess was removed,  the joints were filled and smoothed off, then attention turned to the cockpit.
Using templates, the bottom, sides and ends were made in 1.5mm plastic, a bit of filling / filing done and it was ready to receive primer.
So, the coamings were taped off and the whole item given 3 coats of filler/primer, followed by 2 coats of grey primer.

...and that's as far as I've gotten to.

Now that the weather is changing I think I should turn my attention to the deck planking.

Photo 1 Making a start on the top sections.
Photo 2 clamps a-plenty and not very pretty.
Photo 3&4 Filler / primer applied.
Photo 5&6 Grey primer applied.

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2019, 10:16:05 am »

Well you managed that Ok Ray, compound curves can be a *****, looks good, keep it coming mate.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2019, 10:29:04 am »

Cheers Joe, yeah I must admit it was a right pain to get the sections to glue securely, which was an absolute necessity in order to get the edges trimmed and filed down.
Still, that's out of the way now, so today I hope to do some trial work for the deck planking.

Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 09:51:41 pm »

Just ordered the wood for the deck planking.
I'm still undecided as to which type to use so I've sent for maple and lime wood strips, both types at 1x5mm.
Update sometime next week after trials carried out.

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.