Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Another Huntsman rebuild  (Read 61790 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Huntsman rebuild
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 12:16:20 am »

Thanks Chris, I'm just glad the paint and gunge removal is complete now, the running gear is ok and now can concentrate on sorting the deck out.

Good luck with your build - hope you enjoy it  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 04:48:22 am »

Hi Ray,
Enjoying your renovation work. :-))
Regards David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:40:54 am »

Thanks Chris, I'm just glad the paint and gunge removal is complete now, the running gear is ok and now can concentrate on sorting the deck out.

Good luck with your build - hope you enjoy it  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks Ray - probably be next year before I start that though as I want to crack on with the Swordsman.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:23 pm »

Time for another update.

To give the deck some extra width, to glue down on, supports were fitted to the inner edge of the hull.
The last portion to be tackled was the flare in the bow area. To tackle this, a sort of plinth was glued in and then layered with P38 until just proud of the hull.
This was then sanded level.
The hull was then inverted onto a sheet of 3mm ply and drawn around to rough out a sub deck, which will be planked later on in the build.

During the above, a lot of dust had accumulated, in and around the running gear, so this was all removed and stored away until needed.
The hull inner was then given a couple of coats of white paint, just to make things look a bit neater.
The sub deck was then trimmed to fit and epoxied in place.

While the glue was setting a start was made on the superstructure. First, some of the bits I'd managed to save from the original were taped together, to get some idea of the shapes and dimensions.
So, the 2 sides and the front and back were roughed out with 3mm ply and taped together. This gave me the oblong but now I needed to get the longitudinal curves in the sides.
To this end, a framework was made as a sort of former, followed by some cambered beams for the deckheads.

Finally, a topsheet was fitted and trimmed. I had originally fitted the windscreen and rear screen in recesses but then realised this would make it very difficult to make a mould from, especially as this will be my first attempt at producing anything in GRP.
I could have sanded away the recesses but this would have then shortened the overall length of the superstructure and so I opted to fill the recesses instead - false recesses can be fitted later, using plastruct or similar.

Window frames were drawn, as "best guess", onto cereal packet card. These will be glued in place and, hopefully, will reproduce on the mould, to give an indication of where to cut the windows out.

Anyway, the structure has been given a few coats of sanding sealer and is now feeling smooth enough to take a couple of coats of primer.
Unfortunately, my spraying has to be done outside, so now I'll have to wait for the warmer weather to return.

Still, this gives me some spare time to get on with a couple of other builds.

The photos.

Photo 1: Applying deck supports
Photo 2: As above
Photo 3: Getting the parts to come together (trimming here & there)
Photo 4: Fitting the lower frame
Photo 5: Upper frame work in progress
Photo 6: Filling and sanding
Photo 7: It's pretty smooth now.

Afraid that's it for now...

Regards,

Ray.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:49 am »

Hi Ray

Will look good when finish. I like the twin motors set up

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:05 am »

Coming along well Ray.

What glue did you use for fixing the timbers to the fibreglass hull?

Painting at this time of year does throw up problems doesn't it.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »

Hi Ray

Will look good when finish. I like the twin motors set up

Hello Seaspray - like most of my models, it should look ok from a reasonable distance.

I'm using twin motors / rudders because I think this will give a more stable performance - especially on turns - time will tell...

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 09:12:00 pm »

Coming along well Ray.

What glue did you use for fixing the timbers to the fibreglass hull?

Chris

Thanks Chris.
The athwart bulkheads were glued in with epoxy resin then plastered with P40.
The supports around the hull edges I used just epoxy resin - the 5min version - mixing only enough to glue each section at a time.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:21 pm »

Hi Ray,
Enjoying your renovation work. :-))

Hello Dave, thank you for looking in on this one - it'll be a few months before any more gets done to it - towards springtime anyway...

Regards,

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »

Thanks Chris.
The athwart bulkheads were glued in with epoxy resin then plastered with P40.
The supports around the hull edges I used just epoxy resin - the 5min version - mixing only enough to glue each section at a time.

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks Ray
I've got a Fairey Spearfish kit with a fibreglass hull to which I'm going to fit a timber deck and superstructure as per the first full size Spearfish that look so much better than the all fibreglass. The plastic superstructure in the kit is a bit naff anyway.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:31 pm »

the hull and grp deck is fine Chris , however my first spear ive built from deck up in timber , its also got twin shafts and 1000 kv brushless motors , ive got a second spear/ spearfish under construction that im intending to use the cabin as far back as the wheelhouse , it was originally going to be on a single shaft but i may well put twins shafts/ rudders as per full size

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 10:31:40 pm »

I tend to think, rightly or wrongly, that all plastic/GRP boats (as in hull and superstructure) of this type look too much like ready to run boats.

I had no  intention of geting one as the intention was just to build all timber boats but one came along so it was rude not to!

Current builds, my first two, are going to be single motors but must have a go at twin motors at some time.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »

ive got a pair of aerokits swordsman 33 , which because they were already built when i got them have single shafts , however those which have the grp hulls will with exception of the sword all use twin shafts , im currently using the ballraced shafts from prestwich models the 5mm stainless shafts , but have the threaed ends turned down to m4  as its easier to buy commercial 3 bladed handed props ! torque roll with both shafts spinning in the same direction gets interesting when at full speed ! the white spear in my photo is a grp hull / deck access is the forward cabin roof , removable rear cabin section and floors

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 07:43:19 pm »

As has often been said on this Forum - "where does the time go", well, it's been best part of 16 months since this thread was last updated and at last I have managed to get back into this build.

So here goes...

First of all, the superstructure plug has been given a couple of coats of grey primer, rubbed down with wet 'n dry to highlight the anomalies - and boy, were there some - so, out came the Upol filler, which was almost trowelled on, then left to harden off.
Three sanding sessions later, it was ready for more primer. Once that was dry it was again rubbed down and is about as smooth as I can get it.
Now, the superstructure is once again stowed away until I get the stuff I need for making the mould.

Next, it was back to the hull for finishing off (hopefully)

More filler applied where needed then made ready for the primer.
Again, 2 coats were applied then left alone for a full 24hrs.
One more rub down then the upper portion of the hull was masked off for the lower hull paint job - I've used Halfords "Ford Riviera Blue" for this...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 08:05:09 pm »

Well, that worked out ok so, waited a week then sprayed the upper hull with "Vauxhall Summit White" - some minor overspray this time, which was touched in once dry and hardened off.

Next came the decals - these were made up on the laptop and a test print, on my inkjet printer, produced a good result. (at least on normal copier paper) so now it was time to commit the decals to purpose made decal paper. This was allowed to dry for the full 24 hrs then sprayed with matt lacquer and left to dry as per instructions.
FAILURE !
The paint (ink) came off as soon as the decal was applied to the hull >>:-( <:(

The only thing I could think of was that I hadn't given enough coverage with the lacquer or, the lacquer itself was 'naff >>:-(

Anyway, I had another go and SUCCESS this time!
Got the Port side of the hull done - nae bother - Stbd side was a different story - I managed to get the name on OK but managed to rip the dolphin in half (curse of the shaky hand again) so, I'll need to make some more decals...

...and that's where I'm up to now, so here's a few more photo's to scrutinize - have fun

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 08:12:18 pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention, I binned the matt lacquer and used a fresh rattle can from Halfords, which gives a positive result.
When I get the Stbd side decals done the whole hull will get couple of coats of lacquer as well. O0 :-))

Regards,

Ray.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 09:04:53 pm »

Nice paint job Ray  :-))
Regards David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 09:42:44 am »

Good to see you back on the build Ray.

Where does the time go? My builds are taking me much longer than expected!

Chris

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 12:11:45 pm »

Very nice paint job , how did you mask across the spray rails for the bottom colour ? I've got to repaint my old Swordsman and masking this off is putting me off doing the job , the straight parts are no problem with masking tape , crossing the spray rails at the bows is proving difficult . . . .
Bill

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »

Thank you for the compliments everyone, much appreciated  :-)

Bill, I used tamiya 6mm masking tape, making sure to push the tape right into the crevice. Also, because the tape changes direction when going over the "crest", I snip the tape at an angle, place the next piece and so on. It's a bit fiddly but worth the effort.

Hope this makes sense  :embarrassed:

Regards
Ray

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2019, 03:30:02 pm »

Yes, it does make sense I've tried it in trial runs , made a complete bog of it , I wondered if you'd tried liquid mask of some sort , if need be I could always do it the way the 'proper' owners do & follow the main chine right up to the front (ugly)
Bill

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 11:50:58 pm »

Just a minor update for now...

The stbd decals have now been completed, looks ok so, another pair of dolphins have been applied to the transom, just to take the bareness from that area.
The hull has now been moved indoors to wait for suitable weather for spraying - this will also give the decals time to dry off completely.

In the meantime I've made a close inspection of the "plug" for the saloon etc.. and decided to scrap it. >:-o
There is a difference in the curvature of both sides, which would throw everything out of kilter so, I'm going to revert to building this in plasticard and go on from there.

Just a couple of photos of the decals for now...

Regards,

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2019, 09:30:18 am »

Making good progress on the hull Ray.

Just wondering why you prefer building the superstructure in plasticard (and why you were going to originally build it in fibreglass) rather than ply? After all that's how the kit was built. Also I'm biased because I only have experience in building in timber!

Chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2019, 10:01:46 am »

Hi Chris, my idea of making the top in fibreglass was just to try my hand at grp as I've never tried it before.
When I spotted my error on the plug I sat and thought about the cost of the materials, to create a mould that would only be used once, just didn't make sense.
I've used plasticard on previous builds and found it easier to work with. I'll be using the 2mm for this one.
I would still like to have a go at making something in grp at some point but, it would have to be something I would want to make a number of copies of.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes with the plasticard for now...

Thank you for looking in Chris - all comments /observations welcome  :-))

Regards
Ray

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2019, 01:28:55 pm »

For one off grp parts you can laminate the glass onto the surface of the plug. (A styrofoam plug is commonly used) After surface finishing the plug can be removed, either by breaking it up or using solvent.This method does involve more work in finishing to get a smooth surface but doesn't need so much materials as making a female mould would. If you are using polyester the plug needs to be protected by covering with a tape and possibly paint as polyester will dissolve the foam.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.