Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fancy steering your model from the bridge?  (Read 3037 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Fancy steering your model from the bridge?
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »

Have a look at this short video to see how our euro cousins are up to with micro video cameras!

https://www.facebook.com/frank.willemkens/posts/2390879954470987

philk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fancy steering your model from the bridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »

friend of mine has one of the cameras in the bridge of his type 45 he can see it either on a 7 inch screen or a set of goggles

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:29:52 pm »

Yes, FPV (first person view) is very popular elsewhere in the hobby, and great fun. I've considered it for the Tamar, but it would be something temporarily retrofitted after she's finished.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:23:46 am »

Would love to have a go at this on our next prototype - any advise on a 'parts list' to make it happen? Please bear in mind that I am a complete luddite when it come to electrical components!!!!!

My only concern would be the lack of peripheral vision....or the ability to "look from side to side".  Had this issue when trying to 'fly' with Microsoft Flightsim.  Because I am a pilot, I am used to judging the attitude of the aircraft using peripheral vision - and it certainly helps with collision avoidance to have the ability to look about you!!!!!!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:03 pm »

The module shown in the video looks as though its made for use with an Arduino, so maybe that would be the place to begin looking? It's from one of the facebook groups I'm on so I'll ask on there for you Carl. Keep an eye on this topic for any reply I get.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:14 pm »

The module shown in the video looks as though its made for use with an Arduino, so maybe that would be the place to begin looking? It's from one of the facebook groups I'm on so I'll ask on there for you Carl. Keep an eye on this topic for any reply I get.

Thank you Brian - you are too kind Sir!!!

I thought an Arduino was a small, ground dwelling creature similar to a hedgehog but without the spines.........clearly I know nothing.............. {:-{

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »

No need for an Arduino if all you want is video from on-board.
Minimum needs are a video camera and 5.8GHz video transmitter on board the boat. You can buy a one piece camera and transmitter module intended for racing drones, just make sure that it is 25mW power as this is the maximum legal transmitting power. You then need a receiver and monitor to see the video. Many use goggles which often have the receiver built in, some need an external receiver. The simplest  goggles are quite inexpensive and use a single screen while the more expensive use two screens one per eye. One disadvantage of goggles is if you wear glasses for vision as smaller ones will not fit over glasses. With some you can get corrective add on lenses to help.
Some goggles have head tracking sensors built in and can connect to a transmitter to drive servos on-board to give pan and tilt movement at the camera. Most FPV camera have quite a wide angle lens so will give some peripheral vision if you can accept the distortion at the edges.
An on board extra that can be used is an on screen display, this can be linked to a gps to give speed and positioning data that can be seen on the monitor or goggles. Data generally includes battery voltage so you can keep a check on your power. Use of gps will also give a compass direction and with some direction to your home point ( where it powered up.)
There is a large range of equipment available although you will need to for it on aircraft and drone suppliers. Hobbyking does have a range of fpv equipment which will give you an idea of what is available.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Dundee Model Boat club

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:27 pm »

Thank you gents - and thank you Brian also for the link.
That looks to be Carl-proof to me  %%

Will give it a go and report back............

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:11:13 pm »

One problem with the setup from aliexpress is that it is illegal to use in the UK. It's transmitting power is 600mW while the legal limit is 25mW.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »

One problem with the setup from aliexpress is that it is illegal to use in the UK. It's transmitting power is 600mW while the legal limit is 25mW.

Jim

I won't tell if you don't! Don't want to lose your video feed halfway along the Tay, now do you?  {-)

Seriously though, when you see drones flying 50-60km from home (by professionals!) you have to wonder about the possibilities....

EmanuelRen

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 05:39:51 pm »

That looks awesome and so much fun. I've been wanting to get into something like this for a while now… Thanks for sharing.
I think Viasil will do wonders for you and it's worth checking out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.