Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ideas for superstructure power/connectors  (Read 4294 times)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ideas for superstructure power/connectors
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:57:26 pm »

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on supplying power to the superstructure (nothing high powered) just 7 small leds and 1 small motor for the radar motor but I would like do away with wires going to from the superstructure so I don't have to connect/disconnect everytime I take the top off.

What the best way of doing this? as I'm sure it must have been done before

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ideas for superstructure power/connectors
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:18 pm »

You wish to power them all together?

Springs/sprung metal contacts are popular, you could also repurpose automotive ones fairly easily.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:05:39 pm »

You wish to power them all together?

Springs/sprung metal contacts are popular, you could also repurpose automotive ones fairly easily.

Yes they would be powered on together, I was thinking of some sort of brass tube that pass down thorugh the deck and touch onto brass contacts under the deck? I know it would work but I was thinking ther might be a better way

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:16:54 pm »

I have found the best method to be a simple plug and socket on loose wires which allow the superstructure to be detached sufficiently to unplug the connection. Much more reliable than relying on spring contacts.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:38 pm »

Use magnets as your connectors. Neodymium magnets are generally metal plated and can be soldered to as long as you don't apply heat for too long. If you put one pair of magnets in the deck and a second on short wires in the superstructure they should automatically link up when you put the superstructure in place and disengage when you lift it again.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:19 pm »

I have found the best method to be a simple plug and socket on loose wires which allow the superstructure to be detached sufficiently to unplug the connection. Much more reliable than relying on spring contacts.

Colin

That's just too simple I like a little challenge and if it makes it better  :-))

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:20 pm »

Use magnets as your connectors. Neodymium magnets are generally metal plated and can be soldered to as long as you don't apply heat for too long. If you put one pair of magnets in the deck and a second on short wires in the superstructure they should automatically link up when you put the superstructure in place and disengage when you lift it again.

Jim

Now that's an idea I like and I have some magents in my tool box I use from my fishing reels

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:12:44 am »

I used brass tube and 4mm springloaded circuit bord test contacters..use the magnets to only hold it  together..im running 7.4v 6600ma through it..i can light several ctks of led.s off the main batts.so I suppose a low volt say 3 or 4volts should work too I would think.  but my big deck lamps on top of the wheel house are plcc 5050 smt led's each 5050 chip has 3 leds in 1 package that  are 3.4v 100ma bright whites.so each chip has 300ma draw and im running to so that's 600ma the 0.5 brass wire I used for the roof runs so I would think it would  carry a 1 amp 3 to 4 volt moter no problem

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:00 am »

That's just too simple I like a little challenge and if it makes it better  :-))

KISS comes to mind here, no not the rock band, but Keep It Simple Stupid! It's the simple things that keep stuff working, adding complications just gives more room for faults to happen.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:00 am »

KISS comes to mind here, no not the rock band, but Keep It Simple Stupid! It's the simple things that keep stuff working, adding complications just gives more room for faults to happen.
One step further for KISS if its just low powered stuff - put a small battery in the superstructure.  The flying lead plug and socket comes a close second.  Self aligning connectors are way down the list - I am biased having spent a lot of my working life polishing bits of brass to restore working on circuits.  If going that way, beware the insulating surface between contacts - a damp environment does lead to surface tracking where Mother Nature creates random circuits.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »

what about the multi connectors from car tailgate / van sliding doors? a bit big for some boats, but 4 or 5? ways of connection.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 07:08:25 pm »

what about the multi connectors from car tailgate / van sliding doors? a bit big for some boats, but 4 or 5? ways of connection.

Not a bad idea although for my boat a little on the big side as it's for a 1/72 scale Smit Amsterdam, I'm going to be testing things over the coming weeks, got to go away to work for a couple of weeks soon so it might be a month or so before I get around to that, hopefully tomorrow I can get my smoke unit fitted and all my remote switch gear fitted and finished

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:20 pm »

Would it be possible to use ribbon cable. I need to take 4 lighting circuits up to the cabin and looking if this would work.
Gerard

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 07:21:49 pm »

I agree with Colin Bishop, secure a socket in the hull and have a fly lead from the super structure ,just plug in and away you go
Dave Cookie

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »

A fellow Yeovil member uses Dolls house copper tape as connectors between his hull and superstructure lights. This may well be the same as Gerard is suggesting. A little vaseline should keep these contacts bright.
Pond weed is your enemy

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »

I've tried several ways over the years, now I only use a plug and socket with a fly lead, as Colin says. Every other way I used with springy brass and other types of metal in connectors ended with problems.
 A battery in the superstructure is fine as long as you are ok adding the weight up top, and can change them without breaking something. Not practical in many models. Scavenged Ribbon leads from scrap computers are great as fly leads, and often free from computer repair shops. Ideal when connected to a suitable plug and socket if you have multiple circuits. If doing it this way you can probably use a common negative, I do.
Chas

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 08:54:49 am »

All of my boats are wired onto dolls house lighting copper strip which in turn is connected to sprung copper tabs ... pos/neg tabs on the superstructure, matching pos/ neg from main power source in hull... make sure they match or everything will blow ... yes I've been there !
 Some of my boats incorporate a switcher , others have a normal on /off switch, others are permanantly "on" with the superstructure in place. All options work for me and you can get as complicated as you want.
 Currently working on an Aeronaut Sea Queen with additional interior detail  and refurbishing a beat up MH&B Seekadette with dolls house Edwardian lamps.

Kind regards

Terry H

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 05:01:49 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.