Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Billings Coast Guard conversion the Stavros way

<< < (3/5) > >>

Stavros:
More piccies
34 Sanding sealer applied to cabins
35::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
36 DISASTER whilst on phone with GHOST His Fault!!!!!!!
37 Repaired good as new
38 Rear cabin grey primer
39 Filler primer applied
40 Guide coat applied
41 Partly rubbed down to show blemishes that guide coat shows up

Right the last picture of this series is a quick rub down wet with 400 wet/dry to show how the guide coat will initially show what blemishes that are there,these should dissapear with further rubbing down but as I had only sprayed this piece 5Min's previous to the photo being taken even I would be pushing my luck by rubbing down more,I will post more tomorrow showing the process involved with prep for the top coat.

Stavros

Stavros:
Please note that I have pushed the matterials used really beyond what the manufacturers recommendations and normally I would not do this but you will note that ONLY the rear cabin was done in this way this is sorely for tutorial purposes oh and by the way temp in the shed was only 14c goes to show it can be done ;) but only by an experienced person I do not expect you to do this please keep to the proper drying times I really know what I am doing so PLEASE PLEASE  don't do this at home it will end in tears

Stavros

PRIMER APPLIED LEAVE 20 MINS THEN APPLY SECOND COAT 20MINS THIRD COAT,LEAVE 24HRS RUB WITH 180 THEN APPLY FILLER PRIMER MAX 3 COATS GUIDE COAT LEAVE 24HRS RUB DOWN WITH 180

Stavros:
Right then tonight the rear cabin was rubbed down wet with 400 wet dry till all traces of the guide coat was removed being carefull NOT to go through the wood sealer,as you will see I rubbed through the grey primer in places not a real problem as 2 thick coats of primer filler was applied with heat being applied to dry the coats!!!! a guide coat was then applied and left to dry for 4 hrs.This was then rubbed down carefully without gong through the primer with 800 wet dry using clean water.This was dried throughly and warmed up carefully with a hot air gun taking care NOT to burn the paint 3 coats of carnival red was applied and this will now be left till I catch up with the wheelhouse which will also be treated in the same way,the final colour coat of Volkswagen Flame red will then be applied photos of this will follow shortly.

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE POST IN THE PAINTING SECTION OF HOW TO PAINT A BOAT PROPERLY

STAVROS

PICCIES
42 Rear cabin rubbed down with 400 grit
43 as above
44 Re primered and guide coat applied
45 1st coat Ford Carnivel red used as a colour primer coat to allow a good depth of shine of top coat
46 2nd coat
47 3rd coat
48 Whellhouse in grey primer
49 primer filler and guide coat applied

Stavros:
I have not hidden anything I do as you can see from the piccies I have not tidied up my workbench at all I am not spraying in a spray booth all done in a cold shed like you lot out there follow my guide and you wont go far wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

chingdevil:
Stavros

Excellent article mate, lots of good information in it. Now I need to see if I can do it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version