Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Coast Guard conversion the Stavros way  (Read 9898 times)

Stavros

Billings Coast Guard conversion the Stavros way
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:38 pm »

Right you lot out there Stav is really pxxx xxf with what is going on out there in Mayhem land with you little lot with regards to paint,so me being me decided to put the record straight so to speak,and before anyone posts well I use such and such,let it be known straight away your posts will be REMOVED IMEDIATLY.
This build has been chosen deliberately to show you lot HOW IT'S DONE,so lord help me if I get it wrong,any boo boo's will be shown and not hidden,I do not use any photographic aids to enhance or modify photos(don't believe in them).
Right lets get on with the build

Right this kit from Billings is aimed at the raw beginner so it is supposed to be simple even I should be able to build it,well so far all I can say about the kit is what a load of Pooh Pooh.As far as the fittings kit is concerned 10/10 laser cut wood 10/10 fit of wood 0/10,what I hear you all shout,well me has only removed the motor mounting/batt/esc or what ever you want to call it base plate and the fit is atrocious so that may well be the first thing to be binned,what a good start I thought to my self.Hull quality 10/10 ins booklets and plan absolutely DIABOLICAL,as i have built Yachts from 33ft to 45 feet in steel and can easily follow plans to my heart content,well if this is for a beginner well lord help them.There is absolutely no recommendation on motor size,batt location etc so my score for the build manuals etc is -10/10 or in other words diabolical.Overall impression with the kit and contents 5/10 ,Harsh words I know and someone I suppose will shoot me down in flames on that but what the heck this is MY PERSONAL OPPINION

Photo 1 is of the Box
         2 Hull in the box
         3 Box contents
         4 ins manuals
         5 hull plan
         6 stand plan
         7 plan of deck
         8 plan of wheelhouse

Stavros

Re: Billings Coast Guard conversion the Stavros way
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:18:02 pm »

Right more photos
Photo 9 is of the wheelhouse
       10 Masts
       11 gen view of hull
       12 Fittings kit
       13 Built Stand   
       14 Hull on Stand
       15 front deck trial fit

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:37:39 pm »

Right paint that will be used on this build is available to you all at Halfords you see even I will use aerosols due to their convenience.I will try my best to pass on my wealth of knowlage with you all,it is up to you if you follow my advise,all techniques used are relevant to all types of aerosol paint whether they are Acrylics or enamels.

First rule NEVER try mixing products,what do you mean Stav well simple don't try and be clever by using an acrylic aerosol on top of for example Plasticoat it will react,the same applies with putting acrylic over humbrol(Ask Tug Kenny on this one ;)) Kenny did not mean to single you out O0
Please if you are going to spray your pride and joy that you have spent hours building keep to the same product throughout,but here is the confusing bit,most Enamel sprays will go over acrylics please don't ask me to name them I wont.My advise to you is simple stick to ONE make and don't chop and change

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:45:07 pm »

Hi Clegg right length ovl is 29 ins a wee bit small I suppose for LLanberis Lake but what the heck i will have all the power I need as for motor well Graupener speed 600 so it should have enough power to combat anything the lake can handle.The guy's at Steve Webb were gobsmaked when |I asked for them but hey as I said if you got Ferrari do you allways drive it full throttle does that answer you I said.

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:57:25 pm »

Forgot to mention as the Coast Guard colour scheme is white I will convert this boat to the Waveny and base it on 44-001 which is based at Chatham dockyard,this is so you all can see how to put on the various colours etc and more than anything the masking techniques

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:10:31 pm »

Right some progress was made tonight nearly had a nervous breakdown when I placed motor on top of the hull strengthener that Billings have supplied back to the drawing board on this one!!!!!!!
Rear cabin has been built a lot of sanding is needed on this piece due yet again to poor fit of wood
I tried to decipher the deck and superstructure plan as they said it was so important to get it right,funny I thought they have forgotten to give measurements of the wood that you use on the sides to support it let alone where you place them,oh what fun I am having NOT. more will follow after me has cooled down !!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

Picture 16  Shafts and P bkt
          17  Shaft and strengthening Bkt
          18  Motor with slight attitude problem !!!!!!!!!!(Especially for Ghost ;))
          19  Rear cabin assenbly
          20  Main deck showing footwell
          21  Main deck again with batt access removed
          22  Rough idea what it might look like to cheer me up O0

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 04:41:17 pm »

Right me been busy again Front wheelhouse has bee built oh what a pig to get the window frames correct a right swine never mind they are done.Sanded the rear cabin and front down for the application of filler,filler I will use is Easylight available from halfords it sands down a dream.After filler sanding sealer Will be applied 2 coats then priome.

Stavros

Picture 23 font wheelhouse
          24  """"""""""""""""""
          25 Rear cabin ready fro filler in the joints
          26 Front cabin as above

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:26:09 pm »

OK I just can't think of everything,but it just has been pointed out to me that if questions are to be asked where do we post them!!!!!! silly me forgot that one well it's simple lads and lasses post them in the PAINTING thread that I have started in the PAINT  section of this forum,ASK AWAY  and I will try and help,try no way ho-say I WILL HELP

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 06:38:30 pm »

Build on hold for 2 weeks got to go to Scotland to work for this period hope you lot can wait till then

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 07:48:53 pm »

I am back so here we go painting starts here.
First job was to mix and apply the filler on all the edges to make sure no gaps were left prior to the application of the sanding sealer.After the filler was applied it was first rubbed down with 80grit and then finished off with 180 grit both sanding was done DRY simply because filler is porous and wood absorbs water common sense really.
After I was happy with the filler 3 coats of sanding sealer was applied rubbing down with 180 grit DRY
Grey primer from Halfords was then applied after giving the sanding sealer all of an hour to dry.NOW please note you should leave for at least 48hrs to dry thoughroughly but I know what I am doing and can take shortcuts!!Sorry cant tell you this DUE TO HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUSES but a heat gun was involved ;)
3 coats of grey primer was applied one should leave at least 20Min's between coats so the solvent can evaporate then left for 24hrs rubbed down with 180 grit then the filler primer applied but as I am using an advanced technique of wet on wet I can get away with it.
Aguide coat was then applied over the filler primer this is so one can see where one has rubbed down,a guide coat should be used on all primers black is the ideal colour as you can see me being me used red,I did not have black,but as the parts are being primed again and the final colour is orange it did not matter.
The reason that I say Black as a guide coat is simple it does not bleed through other colours red will bleed due to the strong pigment

Piccies
27 Filler that was used
28 filler being mixed
29 Filler applied to cabin
30 As above
31 Filler on rear cabin
32 filler sanded
33 Sanding sealer applied

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:27 pm »

More piccies
34 Sanding sealer applied to cabins
35::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
36 DISASTER whilst on phone with GHOST His Fault!!!!!!!
37 Repaired good as new
38 Rear cabin grey primer
39 Filler primer applied
40 Guide coat applied
41 Partly rubbed down to show blemishes that guide coat shows up

Right the last picture of this series is a quick rub down wet with 400 wet/dry to show how the guide coat will initially show what blemishes that are there,these should dissapear with further rubbing down but as I had only sprayed this piece 5Min's previous to the photo being taken even I would be pushing my luck by rubbing down more,I will post more tomorrow showing the process involved with prep for the top coat.

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 08:07:58 pm »

Please note that I have pushed the matterials used really beyond what the manufacturers recommendations and normally I would not do this but you will note that ONLY the rear cabin was done in this way this is sorely for tutorial purposes oh and by the way temp in the shed was only 14c goes to show it can be done ;) but only by an experienced person I do not expect you to do this please keep to the proper drying times I really know what I am doing so PLEASE PLEASE  don't do this at home it will end in tears

Stavros

PRIMER APPLIED LEAVE 20 MINS THEN APPLY SECOND COAT 20MINS THIRD COAT,LEAVE 24HRS RUB WITH 180 THEN APPLY FILLER PRIMER MAX 3 COATS GUIDE COAT LEAVE 24HRS RUB DOWN WITH 180

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:05:54 pm »

Right then tonight the rear cabin was rubbed down wet with 400 wet dry till all traces of the guide coat was removed being carefull NOT to go through the wood sealer,as you will see I rubbed through the grey primer in places not a real problem as 2 thick coats of primer filler was applied with heat being applied to dry the coats!!!! a guide coat was then applied and left to dry for 4 hrs.This was then rubbed down carefully without gong through the primer with 800 wet dry using clean water.This was dried throughly and warmed up carefully with a hot air gun taking care NOT to burn the paint 3 coats of carnival red was applied and this will now be left till I catch up with the wheelhouse which will also be treated in the same way,the final colour coat of Volkswagen Flame red will then be applied photos of this will follow shortly.

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE POST IN THE PAINTING SECTION OF HOW TO PAINT A BOAT PROPERLY

STAVROS

PICCIES
42 Rear cabin rubbed down with 400 grit
43 as above
44 Re primered and guide coat applied
45 1st coat Ford Carnivel red used as a colour primer coat to allow a good depth of shine of top coat
46 2nd coat
47 3rd coat
48 Whellhouse in grey primer
49 primer filler and guide coat applied

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:09:45 pm »

I have not hidden anything I do as you can see from the piccies I have not tidied up my workbench at all I am not spraying in a spray booth all done in a cold shed like you lot out there follow my guide and you wont go far wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

chingdevil

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 11:09:28 am »

Stavros

Excellent article mate, lots of good information in it. Now I need to see if I can do it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 06:50:40 pm »

Have not finished yet best is yet to come

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 06:53:31 pm »

Wheelhouse is now in same state as the rear cabin  final colour coats will go on next week,giving time for the paint to harden

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 07:31:38 pm »

Feel free to ask questions in how to paint a boat properly

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 09:17:26 pm »

Superb Stavros. I am in awe.

Do you paint the inside surfaces at this time ?

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 10:02:58 pm »

Well spotted old chap I have been wondering when someone was going to pick that one up.At the moment I am building a Tid Tug for myself and that has taken over my time,normal service will resume shortly.As this is intended fro people without a airbrush I will mask in due course and aerosol the inside of the wheelhouse and then where necessary touch in with a paintbrush

Stavros

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 11:03:26 pm »

nice shine on it as well.  reminds me, I need to go full-gloss on Espirit D'Atlantique
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 09:23:39 pm »

Have you given up on this Stavros ? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

No other things to do will be making a start before long.

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.