Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to 'My Hobby Store'  (Read 9977 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What happened to 'My Hobby Store'
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 10:08:12 am »

Wrong again RAAArty!

I know you love your conspiracy theories but the answer is rather more mundane I’m afraid.

Magazines have production schedules and these include print and publication dates. Obviously monthly magazines are not all published on the first of the month shown on the cover otherwise the printers couldn’t cope so they have slots throughout the month and are usually actually published before the nominal month of issue. These dates are usually around the same time of the month allowing for weekends and holidays etc. So Marine Modelling and Model Boats were not published at the same time of each month. However, as you might have noticed, Model Boats publishes 13 issues annually whereas MM only published 12. So the publication dates for Model Boats in the early part of the year are gradually advanced month by month to make room for the Winter Special issue which is published at the end of October.

July Marine Modelling International went on UK sale on the 4th Thursday of June. August MB went on sale on the 7th July, UK subscribers getting theirs around 5 or 6 days earlier so there was time for readers of both magazines to take up the offers in the standard advert.

Model Boats is indeed sold worldwide, much of it by subscription, but all copies are actually printed in the UK so there will inevitably be a delay in getting it 12,000 miles to Australia. If this is a problem then you could of course have it on publication day, maybe earlier if you were to take out a digital subscription. It would be totally impractical for a small company like MyTimeMedia to have multiple printing contracts around the world. Most sales are in the UK.

Anyway I can set your mind at rest on another theory that you may hold. The world is NOT flat and you ARE upside down.  %)

The internet is a wonderful thing but it does unfortunately facilitate people adding 2+2 to make 5 and sharing their ill considered revelation with the rest of the world.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 10:23:23 am »

For as long as I can remember all of the former MAP magazines have been published a long time before their cover date. I think RCM&E was published on the second Friday of the month preceding the cover date, so the August edition of Model Boats would quite normally have been on the stands in July. Traplet's publications were more logical in that the August edition appeared at the beginning of August. To infer some sort of conspiracy or double-dealing from this quite normal passage of events is just plain dumb. I believe that Traplet wouldn't have bought My Hobby Store if they weren't convinced it was profitable.
MMI failed because it was no longer compelling or even relevant enough to warrant its purchase. I cancelled my subscription when it became little more than a list of full-size vessel sailings with regular articles restricted to the likes of cardboard waterlines, yachts and American IC boats - none of which interested me nor, it seems, many other folk.
DM

(Written at the same time as Colin B's posting, which I shall read after posting this)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 11:06:19 am »

I am presently reading the December issue of Ships Monthly received last week!

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 11:15:17 am »

Hi Aarty!  can I suggest you also pay for the on-line edition, I subscribed a few months ago and was surprised how cheap it was, I paid just £5 extra!  Maybe this was a special offer, but it was done over the phone. 
Guess what?  I bought it so that I could keep up while on holiday with my son who lives near Sydney.
regards Roy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:33 am »

Wrong again RAAArty!

I know you love your conspiracy theories but the answer is rather more mundane I’m afraid.

Magazines have production schedules and these include print and publication dates. Obviously monthly magazines are not all published on the first of the month shown on the cover otherwise the printers couldn’t cope so they have slots throughout the month and are usually actually published before the nominal month of issue. These dates are usually around the same time of the month allowing for weekends and holidays etc. So Marine Modelling and Model Boats were not published at the same time of each month. However, as you might have noticed, Model Boats publishes 13 issues annually whereas MM only published 12. So the publication dates for Model Boats in the early part of the year are gradually advanced month by month to make room for the Winter Special issue which is published at the end of October.

July Marine Modelling International went on UK sale on the 4th Thursday of June. August MB went on sale on the 7th July, UK subscribers getting theirs around 5 or 6 days earlier so there was time for readers of both magazines to take up the offers in the standard advert.

Model Boats is indeed sold worldwide, much of it by subscription, but all copies are actually printed in the UK so there will inevitably be a delay in getting it 12,000 miles to Australia. If this is a problem then you could of course have it on publication day, maybe earlier if you were to take out a digital subscription. It would be totally impractical for a small company like MyTimeMedia to have multiple printing contracts around the world. Most sales are in the UK.

Anyway I can set your mind at rest on another theory that you may hold. The world is NOT flat and you ARE upside down.  %)

The internet is a wonderful thing but it does unfortunately facilitate people adding 2+2 to make 5 and sharing their ill considered revelation with the rest of the world.

Colin

Which is why we have always been able to see the other point of view and from a different perspective. O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 09:15:09 am »

Ah yes! I understand now. Talking out of your ..... you mean.

You said it.  ok2

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 09:38:22 am »

Hi this is like the conspiracies about the moon landings, did they go or didn't they?  You can have an alternative "interpretation" but only a valid one is worth listening to.  The rest are mostly a waste of time or dreamed up over a pint.

In our hobby what you do, make, or construct bares witness to your invovement in the hobby. 
Perhaps someone has an alternative hypothesis as to some of the excellent build threads that we have on this forum?  Was it all done with advanced use of Photoshop?

When at work I used to sort out anomolies, problems and there was nearly alway a nice simple explanation, perhaps previously overlooked or discarded.
Meanwhile I am going out to my workshop to get on with my fishing boat model.  (I do hope this is not a self obsessed illusion).
regards Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 10:26:44 am »

Hi this is like the conspiracies about the moon landings, did they go or didn't they?  You can have an alternative "interpretation" but only a valid one is worth listening to.  The rest are mostly a waste of time or dreamed up over a pint.

In our hobby what you do, make, or construct bares witness to your invovement in the hobby. 
Perhaps someone has an alternative hypothesis as to some of the excellent build threads that we have on this forum?  Was it all done with advanced use of Photoshop?

When at work I used to sort out anomolies, problems and there was nearly alway a nice simple explanation, perhaps previously overlooked or discarded.
Meanwhile I am going out to my workshop to get on with my fishing boat model.  (I do hope this is not a self obsessed illusion).
regards Roy
Sorry Roy but ive seen several lego men building boats on here, and some horrible person takes pics and does a write up then takes the credit!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 21 queries.