Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shipwrights: full hull or waterline static model?  (Read 2380 times)

secharles

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
shipwrights: full hull or waterline static model?
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:27 am »

discarding any display considerations, is one type of ship model preferred over the other? with the amount of time and financial investment expended, and I realize a certain amount of subjectivity must be accounted, is one type of model "better" than the other?

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: shipwrights: full hull or waterline static model?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »

Why discard display considerations? If I'm to display my ships in a seascape I go for waterline models, if I'm displaying it on a stand I go for full hull. Display considerations are everything, including how big a model you are going to build.

secharles

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:19 pm »

well, they are not for me or else I would have not prefaced my question as I did, but thank you for the input.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »

Don't quite understand your question. Preferred by who? Most people build full hull models but others may prefer waterline. But it really does depend on how you are going to display the model - otherwise it doesn't matter at all.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »

'Better' is indeed subjective and depends on what the modeller or customer wants from the model, or indeed from the process of building it.

Display models can be quite simple affairs, while RC models can be exquisitely detailed. Some modellers want a model that looks good from a distance and so wil not be bothered with such things as railings or small details, while other modellers go to a supreme degree of detailing, to the point of finding out what certain details do so they can make them even more accuratley.

My question to you is what are you trying to achieve? Are you looking to buy or build, and if so are you looking for an answer to help make some decisions?

A stationary display model can be as expensive as an RC one, or both can be really cheap to build. Every modeller will have their own methods, budget, styles and opinions as in all walks of life  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

secharles

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:02:18 pm »

Don't quite understand your question. Preferred by who? Most people build full hull models but others may prefer waterline. But it really does depend on how you are going to display the model - otherwise it doesn't matter at all.

Colin

I think you've answered my question; thanks.

secharles

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:17 pm »

'Better' is indeed subjective and depends on what the modeller or customer wants from the model, or indeed from the process of building it.....
My question to you is what are you trying to achieve? ....

thought provoking and that is in itself helpful to focus. I think to make a plausible model, note: not a replica of a specific prototype, I would need to learn about how these boats were constructed and mechanically functioned. I seem to get a degree of satisfaction from that, and after reading some of the forum - and some of the rigging tutorials = wow! - i'm not the only one who does so.
and after all that gained knowledge and cash outlay for a set of plans and kit - I wouldn't try scratchbuilding my first ship - I would want to show as much as possible (read: boiler room & engine, crew quarters, whatever is under all that tarp).  so I would summarize my achievement as : a complete model ship.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »

If you are building a large model of a vessel then you should have room to explore a realistic internal space. Dr Schmidt's 1:48th scale U Boat is a classsic case in point for a static model. If you want to sail it as well then there might be conflict between creating an accurate internal space and fitting the control and drive train. Being uninformed of the internal layout of a ship should not stop you from making a first rate and very detailed model that can be sailed.

Pond weed is your enemy

secharles

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 06:53:42 pm »

no; static would be fine. I have models trains if I want to make something move. and RC is beyond my abilities & interests. off on the bicycle for now but I will read the thread for the submarine you mentioned. thanks.

again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.