Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what happens when you pay some one for something  (Read 2905 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
what happens when you pay some one for something
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:55:50 pm »

What happens when you pay some one on this forum for something to be made for you and they don't even respond to your messages for months what do you do to either get your goods or your 50 pound back  tassie48

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: what happens when you pay some one for something
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:05:25 am »

Sorry to hear that you are having problems tassie48. Unfortunately the Sales Board rules specifically state that it’s a case of Caveat Emptor, (buyer beware) and the Model Boat Mayhem Forum assumes no responsibility for transactions that take place via the forum. Perhaps a PM could be sent to Martin giving the details of the transaction.

Peter Fitness,
Moderator.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:09:09 am »

How did you pay?
If it was card or PayPal you may be able to recall the payment that way.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:51:30 am »

As above, if you paid via paypal goods + services, you can claim your money back. Same too with a credit card, I suppose.

If you used Paypal Gift (NEVER USE PAYPAL GIFT UNLESS IT'S SOMEONE YOU KNOW WON'T STIFF YOU), bank transfer, or any other form of non-recoverable transaction, you'll just have to hope that you have their details to take them to small claims court.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »

Name and shame them.  You might be saving some other forum members from similar problem or get some info regarding the alleged culprit`s reasons for not completing the deal.   Could be a health issue.   
..well can you land on this?

inertia

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »

As the previous post suggests, there could be more to this than idleness or dishonesty. You can use the Members Profile on this forum to find out if that person is still active; when he/she last posted, and to view those posts. If there is a significant recent absence then it would be an indication that things are not good.
At that stage you have to ask yourself if it's really worth pushing the matter further for fifty quid. I've had to write off much larger sums in circumstances which were totally out of my control.
As they say, **it happens.
Dave M

secharles

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:12 pm »

there's three sides to every story, too

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »

I'm not sure about name and shame as I've always believed that life happens around your plans and promises.

However - I would name them just because the chances are that someone else on the forum may know them and be able to shed some light as to why you cannot communicate with them.  Or they may be able to contact them for you and resolve your problem.

If that fails though - well the gloves are off.

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:19:22 pm »

I paid in cash with registered post have all the PM telling me it the cash arrived ok he was to do his part I now find it easier to just walk away should this person wish to refund me just give it to the local RNLI it is no longer worth the pain and hurt If I name and shame this person it would just make things worse and create two sides to further stress Yes the person is active Send funds in July well my one and only time of being ripped off I no I have done the right thing the other person has not .
Sometimes you learn the hard way this is one of those times I feel this has happen I am not going to sling rubbish nor bring this forum to sides over this  just wanted to air my view thank you to every one whom aired their options tassie48 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »

As was suggested previously, it would be worth alerting Martin as webmaster as to the identity of the person concerned. Dealings between Mayhem members are normally very safe and this sounds very regrettable.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »

I would be inclined to advise WEB owner Martin of the simple facts by PM.....[leave all or any emotion from this communication]

If you have used our WEB site PM system for these in you communications, copy & paste them into your PM to Martin

This will not enflame any issue.....however provide a clear and clean understanding.....

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

secharles

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 10:52:07 pm »

I paid in cash with registered post have all the PM telling me it the cash arrived ok he was to do his part I now find it easier to just walk away should this person wish to refund me just give it to the local RNLI it is no longer worth the pain and hurt If I name and shame this person it would just make things worse and create two sides to further stress Yes the person is active Send funds in July well my one and only time of being ripped off I no I have done the right thing the other person has not .
Sometimes you learn the hard way this is one of those times I feel this has happen I am not going to sling rubbish nor bring this forum to sides over this  just wanted to air my view thank you to every one whom aired their options tassie48

but that is "victim behavior". if you have been wronged, and contend you have documentation supporting your claim, why slink away from getting either your products or refund? this is how scammers operate. they know the dollar amount courts will entertain, and depend on people behaving as you are intending and walk away because it's too much trouble to fight. he will now seek another victim either on this forum or another. you might be able to make a difference. or just be one of his victims.

but you do have a choice.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 02:52:36 am »

Tassie,

As has been said, contact Martin via email, he is very reasonable to deal with, as are all the moderators.

As you say, if all is lost you have lost nothing further to lose and may indeed get some satisfaction.

Good luck. :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 06:41:34 pm »

Now in the hands of the courts in Wales to sort out I tried and tried and tried to communicate with the other party still no answer since August so he now will be summoned to court  to explain his side of things to a judge and will see what happens now tassie48

inertia

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 07:18:05 pm »

You are in NZ and the case is in Wales? Must have cost you more than you're owed already.
Google Pyrrhus. He found out the hard way.
Fifty quid is well below reasonable write-off limits to anyone but the reckless, especially if you're now involving the legals. Even if he gets a court judgement against him there's little you could do if he refuses to pay other than to refer the judgement to the High Court (that was a £60 non-refundable fee when I did it). High Court bailiffs are very good but may not bother getting out of bed for the fees on a Bullseye. County Court bailiffs are, I'm told, useless.
Be sensible and let it drop before it becomes an obsession; a good sulk costs nowt!
Dave M

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 12:35:29 am »

High Court Enforcement is what they charge  but its added to the total cost that person has to pay,   if they get no money from this person then yes it is not refundable,  High Court Enforcement Agency's have more power then County Court Bailiffs 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.