Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: programmable sound card?  (Read 2495 times)

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
programmable sound card?
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »

Hi all,

does anyone know of a programmable sound card?  As in one you can upload a sound file to that can be actuated with RC.  I'm not after an all singing or all dancing job, I only want the card to play a sound of a particular whistle, does such a thing exist?  I've spent some time on google and while I have found more or less what I am after they all cost about £200 and have destroyer and big diesel sounds in them as well, and I just want to play a particular steam whistle sound.

inertia

Re: programmable sound card?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:44:24 pm »

I think you're looking at the expensive end of the solutions. I'd suggest buying something like one of these for three quid; recording your whistle on it and then using either a relay switch or a microswitch+servo to operate the Message Playback. You could even use a servo to push the button. "KISS".
 http://hobbycomponents.com/audio/697-isd1820-voice-record-and-playback-with-speaker
DM

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:03 pm »

I think you're looking at the expensive end of the solutions. I'd suggest buying something like one of these for three quid; recording your whistle on it and then using either a relay switch or a microswitch+servo to operate the Message Playback. You could even use a servo to push the button. "KISS".
 http://hobbycomponents.com/audio/697-isd1820-voice-record-and-playback-with-speaker
DM

I think that's the answer. I've used something similar before but with not much success. That being said it was a while ago, maybe the techs improved. Many thanks 😊

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:35:16 am »

For a single sound, they have always worked very well.  You do need to ensure that the recording that goes in is up to standard.  Also rather than going direct to a speaker, a separate amplifier and worthwhile speaker is needed, otherwise it sounds like a greeting card.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:24:54 am »

Hi Willit

Probably an overkill for your simple requirement but something to bear in mind for other projects - it's not £3 but neither is it £200 - it's £28.50 if you want a RC activated sound effects unit that replays on demand any of 16 user supplied wav/mp3 files on a microSD card and has an integral 3W amplifier which will drive a sizable speaker.

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/16-ch-sfx

Alan
in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:12:38 am »

Hi Willit

Probably an overkill for your simple requirement but something to bear in mind for other projects - it's not £3 but neither is it £200 - it's £28.50 if you want a RC activated sound effects unit that replays on demand any of 16 user supplied wav/mp3 files on a microSD card and has an integral 3W amplifier which will drive a sizable speaker.

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/16-ch-sfx

Alan

thats the boy Alan I knew something relatively inexpensive existed!  Many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.