Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burner for Centre Flue Boiler.  (Read 2520 times)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
Burner for Centre Flue Boiler.
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:00:40 pm »

Over the years I have made many types of burners , from force fed Flash steam, normal Vertical and horizontal boilers using either Plumbers blow lamp heads or Ceramic ones but never have made one with a perforated mesh implant.
At the end of the thread there is a sketch that hopefully will help to explain my method, that is if all my pics come thro'

I decided to have a try at making one so I purchased a piece of 1 mm thk Perforated plate with 2 mm dia holes and  to include a mesh backing to spread the L.P.G. for combustion.
The boiler that the burner was to fit is a 3.5" dia x 5" high Vertical centre flue with a 28 mm fire tube and to make the burner I used 28 mm dia copper pipe so a straight 28mm end feed connector was used for the body ( end feed fittings for those who do not know has no soft solder ring inside the fitting, the ones that do are called Yorkshire fittings ) I cut a piece of  28 mm tube and pushed it into the connector and flushed off the end, this acts as a landing for the Perforated plate and the mesh gauze and Silver soldered a 1/16" brass plate to the ends and rounded it all off with a file, this completed the main body.
I then made a brass jet holder which was S/Soldered into the main body and later found that a No 6 jet was the best for the burner.

The perforated plate was cut and filed round 2- steel blanks which were .010" under size to the bore of the Connector as was the Mesh, the gauze was fitted into the burner first with the perforated plate next into the burner tube.

Air slots were cut into the connector with 1/16" slot drill just before the central stop in the fitting and with a Centre punch I lightly tapped the centre of the slots to keep the plate from falling and did the same on the other side slots to prevent the boiler fire tube sliding over them and cutting off the air supply.

So with all the construction work and the S/Soldering it was time to link it up to my gas supply and low and behold it works perfectly with a very steady Blue flame.
Next step was to fit it to the boiler and see if it would light Via the funnel which to my delight it does.

So there we have it, it brought the 3.5" dia x 5" high boiler to blow of pressure of 100 p.s.i. in 12 mins

Cost came out @  28 mm End feed fitting   99pence,-  Stainless steel perforated plate 1 mm thk  100 mm x 100 mm with 2 mm holes  £1.99 e-bay
No 6 jet from Clevendon Steam  £2.35 + £1.50 postage

Only thing left was a coat of High temp Engine black paint to finish it off.

In conclusion the burner works very well and at a fraction of the cost in buying one.

I hope that this is of interest and that my pics come out in order.

George.

IanJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Burner for Centre Flue bBoiler.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:35:02 pm »

Hi George, you must be very pleased. What does the burner sound like?

Having limited understanding of burners, do I assume that higher the jet number the bigger the jet?

Ian

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »

What a great job George your lifeboat should fly along with a flame like that  :-))

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »

Ian ,

It's a very quiet burner  possibly quieter than Clevendon burner and yes the higher the No the bigger the hole.

Mark
 I am hoping that there will be a good performance from the boat.

While working with the burner I found that it started to flame yellow with no particular power and eventually found that air was creeping down the side of the jet holder so I made the modification as per the sketch and cured the problem, the nose of the jet must not protrude into the 1/4" dia air holes, preferable about 1/32" back and a much better fixing..

George.

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »

Hi George, thanks for the info
Been busy with a bit of tool making but should get back onto the black magic engines and the steam ones soon
Also need to find a photo hosting site other than photo muppet
cheers
frazer

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.