Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• BLACKPOOL MODEL SHOW : October 20, 2018 - October 21, 2018
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACKPOOL MODEL SHOW 20/21 OCTOBER 2018  (Read 42270 times)

alan cantwell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: BLACKPOOL MODEL SHOW 20/21 OCTOBER 2018
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2018, 06:22:18 pm »

I was hoping to get there, I had an interest in the swap meet, but, family matters prevailed, did I miss much in this aspect?  I was supposed to pick a lot of boats up off a friend, to enter in the sale, but didn’t get chance,

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »

Hi the items for sale proved to be very popular. It was kept busy both days.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Bodger

• Shipmate
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:12 pm »

Thank you Iain and Stavros,
Thank you all who made this the best Blackpool show for many years. A much improved venue,sensible admission price, cracking models on display.I think it is great that trucks,cars and trains are included and hope this expands.Looking forward to the 2019 show.Does anyone have a date for it yet?

Thanks,Bodge.

Mrs Stav

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »

I have been asked to post this for Stavros

A Few words of thanks
Iain and Natasia for Putting the show on
All Members of the clubs who set up the venue with Stav
Nigel for the Marking out the night before and Mick French
The girls on the door
Chris Burr for the trucks
George for the Tanks
Ann who does the pool...who announced her retirement much to our shock
All the Staff of the Norbreak Hotel.
Obviously ALL the clubs who supported us and Traders
If I have missed anyone My deepest appologies

Right an organisers perspective of the show.We started setting up on Thursday Evening and we got to bed at around 2am after setting up the pool.
Friday dawned and the tables arrived and placed in the hall ready for the Arrival of clubs and traders.
Talking of clubs,this year we had displays form Wales,Scotland,England,Ireland and the Isle of Man the latter were both 1st time visitors to the show THANKS

We had Boats,Tanks,Trucks,Static Dioramas and even a working Railway and a display of wooden models.

The Best club stand was the Manx club....well done...

Stav was dropped in the mire so to speak and had to do the announcemnt of the show winners etc did not expect that and WHO was it that dropped a real clanger and forgot one catagory Lord only knows how but Mick Fench I do humbly appologise for the Error

Some silly statistics for you

Stav walked a total of 36 miles this year

580 Model Boats
230 Tanks
140 trucks
6 static displays
1 Model Railway
 Next years date is now confirmed as the 19th/20th OCTOBER

Kelly
Where's the cake ??? I only joined for the cake !!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2018, 08:53:14 pm »

From Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ModelBoatMayhem/

A Few words of thanks
Iain and Natasia for Putting the show on
All Members of the clubs who set up the venue with Stav
Nigel for the Marking out the night before and Mick French
The girls on the door
Chris Burr for the trucks
George for the Tanks
Ann who does the pool...who announced her retirement much to our shock
All the Staff of the Norbreak Hotel[size=78%] [/size]
Obviously ALL the clubs who supported us and Traders
If I have missed anyone My deepest appologies

Right an organisers perspective of the show.We started setting up on Thursdaqy Evening and we got to bed at around 2am after setting up the pool.
Friday dawned and the tables arrived and placed in the hall ready for the Arrival of clubs and traders.
Talking of clubs,this year we had displays form Wales,Scotland,England,Ireland and the Isle of Man the latter were both 1st time visitors to the show THANKS

We had Boats,Tanks,Trucks,Static Dioramas and even a working Railway and a display of wooden models.

The Best club stand was the Manx club....well done...

Some silly statistics for you

Stav walked a total of 36 miles this year

580 Model Boats
230 Tanks
140 trucks
6 static displays
1 Model Railway
Next years date is now confirmed as the 19th/20th OCTOBER

Dave Stavros Jones

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bodger

• Shipmate
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:46 pm »

Thanks for confirming the date.I took a gamble and booked my digs before checking out this morning :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »

.............and another little statistic to throw in, the Bring n Buy raised £940.00 his year.  We announced £936, but while that was going on, somebody bought something and upped the total a bit.  The Lytham RNLI shop and the Blackpool RNLI station are now both £470 better off - I spent some time this afternoon calling round to hand the cheques over.
Many thanks due to Iain for letting us run the Bring n Buy, and all of the club members and friends who spent their weekend minding the stall.  Also thanks to those who used some of their weekend minding the doors that could not be locked - sadly, there are those who do not see not paying their way as being detrimental to the show continuing.  And special thanks to Karen from the Black Park club for helping me on Sunday morning with translating the competition forms into the winners list.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I attended the show on Saturday Morning with my son Harry ( Harry was the first visitor through the doors )...

Thanks Very Much to all who helped organise & run the show and to all clubs & traders who attended...The Displays were Brilliant...

The Show went a long way in keeping my 12 year old son interested in modelling and hopefully spend more time with Dad building, sailing or driving our models and not sitting in front of an X-Box or similar electronic device...

We both found the show very interesting and found it hard to pull ourselves away to spend time in Blackpool with our family...

Once again Well Done To All involved in the Best Show...

...Best Regards...Norry & Harry Mason...Glasgow Richmond M.B.C...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2018, 07:07:05 pm »

.............and another little statistic to throw in, the Bring n Buy raised £940.00 his year.  We announced £936, but while that was going on, somebody bought something and upped the total a bit.  The Lytham RNLI shop and the Blackpool RNLI station are now both £470 better off - I spent some time this afternoon calling round to hand the cheques over.
Many thanks due to Iain for letting us run the Bring n Buy, and all of the club members and friends who spent their weekend minding the stall.  Also thanks to those who used some of their weekend minding the doors that could not be locked - sadly, there are those who do not see not paying their way as being detrimental to the show continuing.  And special thanks to Karen from the Black Park club for helping me on Sunday morning with translating the competition forms into the winners list.

We handed the contents of our collection boxes on the LBES Stand to the ladies on the RNLI Stand which was around £35. So even more of a great achievement from the show. Well done to all.
Mick F

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2018, 07:13:12 pm »

This was my first visit to the Blackpool Show and I was extremely pleased with what I found. It's a long drive up from the south coast but as I had to be in Birmingham on Saturday I just pushed on north. An excellent display of boats and plenty of trade stands which provided what I wanted and some good advice. I found the model trucks very interesting and it was good to be able to talk to the Ribble Valley Club on a one to one basis, they were in no rush to let me go and gave me some good contacts and advice if I ever go down that route.

I may be up again in a year or two - but will definitely not be staying at the Norbreck.

Many thanks to everybody who put in the effort to make the show a success.
John

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2018, 03:57:49 pm »

This show is certainly one for the calendar next year. Lots of models to see a large pool for the model boat displays a village laid out for the tank boys and a truck track used also by the construction guys. The trade support was first class. I have enclosed just a few pictures from the event.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2018, 05:23:20 pm »

will, arll go t't fut o' or sterz, Stan...………….I was there the whole weekend but for an hour here and there to rest my leg...…………..and I still missed you...…..better luck next year, I suppose. {:-{

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2018, 10:28:16 pm »

Fleetwood RNLI not get a look in?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2018, 10:02:25 am »

Fleetwood RNLI not get a look in?
Fleetwood RNLI have never been interested in joining in from day one in 1997, Blackpool and Lytham always have.  And it has always been the case that the show organiser gives them the stall space free of charge.  It started when the show was run by Bernard Tullett of the BFMBC, after he retired for his 80th birthday present we managed to keep it that way while AMW were in charge, and Iain has shown himself happy to continue. 
Nowadays, things are getting more crowded, which would you tell to not turn up if another station suddenly wanted to join in?  At the moment, one runs a Tombola, the other a portable RNLI shop, so they don't compete.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2018, 10:39:17 am »

Fleetwood RNLI have never been interested in joining in from day one in 1997, Blackpool and Lytham always have.  And it has always been the case that the show organiser gives them the stall space free of charge.  It started when the show was run by Bernard Tullett of the BFMBC, after he retired for his 80th birthday present we managed to keep it that way while AMW were in charge, and Iain has shown himself happy to continue. 
Nowadays, things are getting more crowded, which would you tell to not turn up if another station suddenly wanted to join in?  At the moment, one runs a Tombola, the other a portable RNLI shop, so they don't compete.

:-)) an excellent reply, Malcolm...and totally understood.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2018, 12:52:38 pm »

For your delight and delectation.

https://youtu.be/BPg7kerNU54

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2018, 09:39:55 pm »

For your delight and delectation.

https://youtu.be/BPg7kerNU54

I notice that you missed out the other side of the LES stand in the video...…..the most variety of lifeboats to be put on a stand in years for the LBES, Jon...….…...including the awesome Severn Class of Jim Pinner's, which was absolutely amazing. did you have any reason for missing out of the video, that side, as you filmed every side of each set, until you got to the LBES group......just wondered.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2018, 09:54:20 pm »

It's easy to lose track of what you have filmed, and what you haven't, at an event like this. I thought it was a great video, and really showed very well what models were on display. It gets a thumbs up from me!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2018, 12:29:08 am »

I notice that you missed out the other side of the LES stand in the video...…..the most variety of lifeboats to be put on a stand in years for the LBES, Jon...….…...including the awesome Severn Class of Jim Pinner's, which was absolutely amazing. did you have any reason for missing out of the video, that side, as you filmed every side of each set, until you got to the LBES group......just wondered.

Just shows that you can't please all of the people all the time; I was probably distracted and I was tired by then anyway, you should have reminded me and not ignored me.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2018, 12:30:27 am »

It's easy to lose track of what you have filmed, and what you haven't, at an event like this. I thought it was a great video, and really showed very well what models were on display. It gets a thumbs up from me!

Thank you. That's just what happened.

LB

Iain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2018, 01:42:30 pm »

We have just been notified that a car parking charge was issued to someone who was at the Blackpool Model Show - even though his registration number had been correctly recorded. I paid the hotel a significant amount of money to give free parking for all those involved with, or attending the show (so much so that the show actually made a small loss) so I take this very seriously.Should anyone else get a parking charge, please contact me DO NOT REPLY TO THE PARKING COMPANY. Either send an e-mail to info@component-shop.co.uk or call on 01248 719353 (Mon-Fri, 10:00am-4:30pm) & I will get the charge cancelled.Please accept my apologies if you are inconvenienced in this way, it should not have happened & rest assured that I am looking into how we can improve things for next year.Blackpool Model show 2019 dates confirmed as 19th-20th October. www.blackpoolmodelshow.co.uk

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2018, 11:27:01 pm »

Thank you Orion for your show special price and delivery as promised on time of my Esvagt  :-))

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2018, 03:11:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I wouldnt tell any station not to turn up if another suddenly wanted to join in, more the merrier and they all serve the Fylde Coast. Disappointing one station hasnt been interested in any potential fund raising support.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2018, 02:55:34 pm »

I paid the hotel a significant amount of money to give free parking for all those involved with, or attending the show (so much so that the show actually made a small losswww.blackpoolmodelshow.co.uk

That is such a shame! AND AM VERY SORRY TO HEAR THAT, ESPECIALLY AS IT WAS SUCH A SUPERB SHOW AND WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY NEXT!...…... as the hotel probably made enough from you, through the hire of the area, AND the revenue they made from people staying at the hotel throughout the weekend and that revenue that they took from people visiting the bar during the weekend.

BUT, what annoys me about this business of having to pay for the parking is the fact that the hotel general manager had a duty of care for you and the visiting public, in making the establishment a nice environment for both exhibiters and the visiting public to feel comfortable attending.

This, the general hotel manager on duty did not do, either around the rear area where exhibiters had to pass waste and detritus, including bin bags split open probably by rats, that exposed grime such as spoiled nappies, but more to the front main entrance where there is a ramp for wheel chair access to the front door.

now, before any smoker gets on my back, although I do not smoke and detest smoking, every one has their choice on how to ruin their health...…..mine is nice red steaks and strong beer, and am not complaining about the fact that people need to go outside to smoke……………THE AREA WAS AWASH WITH BUTT ENDS THAT HAD NOT BEEN CLEANED OR SWEPT AWAY FOR DAYS, IF NOT WEEKS, THERE WERE SO MANY LITTERING THE GROUND...…...SO MANY THAT WHEN ON ONE OCCASSION I GOT TO MY CAR WITH MY CRUTCHES AND TWO BUTT ENDS WERE STUCK TO MY SHOES AS I GOT IN THE CAR AND REALISED, AND ONE STUCK TO THE BOTTON OF ONE OF MY CRUTCHES...……. B L O O D Y  DISGUSTING TBH....

I am complaining that the manager has not seen the foresight to put any smoking bins there so that smokers can deposit their butt ends in a waste bin...…...its not rocket science....BUT,

this is a BIG BUT.....at the last turning of the disabled ramp before you reached the pavement area, someone had before I arrived, and long before the weekend, someone had vomited al over the ramp, and that vomit remained there ALL WEEKEND, even though I personally told two different maids over the weekend, that it was a lousy advert for a supposedly family friendly hotel.

the last thing anyone wants to see when coming to a hotel to either stay for a weekend or to visit a show, no matter what the show is, stale peuke over a 3 day weekend at the main entrance.

I fealt this so disgusting that I actually reported the matter both to the local press and the health and environment of the local council.....it truly was disgusting.

if Stavros and Iain would like to mention this to the management at the Norbreck I will quite gladly state my findings to the management.

it might be a good idea to find other hotels that might do a deal on hotel accommodation and tell the management of the Norbreck that such discounts are available if the Norbreck doesn't remove the charges from the show organisers for parking...…….there are plenty of much nicer hotels to stay in in Blackpool and surrounding areas, that don't have vomit hanging around for days outside the main entrance and garbage at the reat….Red Lion just down the road for one.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2018, 06:36:09 pm »

To be honest reading comments about the Hotel I doubt very much that the management care less.

Which is a shame as if run correctly I am sure the Norbreck could be the hotel to go to, however the front area has looked a mess for as long as I have been going to the show  they just need to level the whole area , fill in the old pond and improve the parking arrangements, and as for the hotel rooms, well just read the comments on trip advisor.

I can understand them introducing a charge to prevent people from just parking up, not actually staying at or using the facilities but to Charge guests and even worse to charge a Show Hiring the venue is shocking to say the least.  Britannia Hotels should be ashamed..

As for the Actual Boat show, Well that was superb   :-)) :-))

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.