Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This captain is definitely going to lose his job and ticket I suspect!  (Read 2101 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.

I can't believe the carnage that was caused here, how on earth was it allowed to happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AExb8O4q70A&list=WL&index=13

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: This captain is definitely going to lose his job and ticket I suspect!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »

Crikey those containers look like they are made out of cardboard. It really shows the forces involved  :o

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:08:03 am »

Some observations  :o ...after many years of maintaining hydraulic systems on Navire systems

All Navire loading/vechular ramp/doors when in use are suspended by the lowering & heaving sets of wires and hydraulically controlled to  maintain auto tension
The are not designed to rest unaided on a wharf or pier as the forces between the door/ramp pivot to the vessel could shear
This is why hydraulic auto tension maintains constant load pressure of the ramp/door on the loading point

This auto tension compensates when for example a 200 tonne vehicle moves from the vehicle load on the wharf to the same 200 tonne load  being transferred to the vessel

Naturally auto tension also compensates for tidal movement

In cases where loading schedules may stop for eg., a night shift, it would be common practice to raise the ramp/door off the wharf/pier and leave it suspended by the lowering & heaving sets of wires, then shut the hydraulic system down until change of shift when the door/ramp was lowered to engage the wharf/pier the to engage auto tension......

At ~~ 4 seconds into the video, the lowering & heaving sets of wires on the Port side ramp/ door are clearly slack hence auto tension was not functioning

Usually, any such Naviere type ramp/door must not be lowered until the vessel has completed it's berthing and is at rest

It is common for such vessels to haul itself along a wharf to a revised berthing position without the need for the assistance of a Tug Boat

With the Tug Boat appearing and pressing the Ferry to the wharf suggests that the berthing was not complete

The authority to move the vessel would or should been under the directions of the Master
The authority to lower the Naviere ramp/door would have been that of the Officer of the Watch, however being responsible to the master

1. Obviously the chain of Command  :police: was not maintained......
2. Maintaining the auto tension hydraulic system would have required ~~ 250 kW of input power...and this is supplied by the vessels diesel generators....to save precious $, Reports have emerged that dodgy operators are using such Naviere type ramp/door  systems without auto tension <*<

My best guess is that points 1. and 2. ......were a contributor's in the event..............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:11:28 am »

Looks fine to me, nothing a bass broom dustpan & brush and a crane wouldn't sort  {-) oh and a little touch up stick  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:30:37 am »

[Port side ramp/door]............sorry...you must remember I am standing upside down viewing these videos :embarrassed:

From the Northern side of the Equator.......... the ramp/door is actually on the Stdb side  O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:52 am »

CPP control failure? That seems to normally be the culprit when a ferry goes scooting off out of control into assorted dockside furniture.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:57:48 am »

In the mid seventies I sailed on a similar car carrier but much smaller with 2 side ramps. The ship was equipped with tension mooring winches. While discharging on the Seine the Seine bore took us 60 metres up the Dock. This was expected and the ramps were raised and the Dock cleared. What I didn’t expect was how innocuous the bore appeared, barely noticeable, and nothing like the Severn or Hugli bores. The tidal range in the Caribbean is very small so I would not expect a bore on this river though.
Jerry.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:34:03 am »

CPP control failure? That seems to normally be the culprit when a ferry goes scooting off out of control into assorted dockside furniture.

Yup, I would go for that too !   O0 >:-o

BOF

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:01:44 pm »

I dont know what the row is about, it will buff out wont it ?

BOF  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.