Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ikonnik KA-6 Tx & Rx system issue  (Read 6307 times)

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem really helps me out!
Ikonnik KA-6 Tx & Rx system issue
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:12:38 pm »

Hi all, yet another question for everyone who may have a Hitec Red KA-6 2.4Mhz system.

I bought mine from Howes and I am getting very mixed results using it. I have had a devil of a job getting it to pair but did get them connected a few days ago after about 5 mins of bip bip bipping. However now that I am working on the model power train in anger this binding seems to be taking ages, for example tonight after about 30 mins I gave up and cracked a beer. Have had the Rx on charge via the Futaba charger supplied by Howes but its the wrong size for the Tx so have been charging them on a domestic charger before each session.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

Derek

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Ikonnik KA-6 Tx & Rx system issue
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:29:24 pm »

Yup, I have one of these in a Sturmtiger tank. Setting up the electronics involved repeatedly switching off and on again. This introduced me to the joys of the slow rebind of the KA6 :} . I have found that you can speed up the rebind time by separating the Tx and Rx by at least 50cm, preferably up to a metre. Any closer and the set seems to swamp the Rx ( my own pet theory anyway...). Also do not wiggle any of the sticks until the light in the Rx changes ( I cannot remember the light sequence but I think it is rapid cycling blue/red followed by a solid light once bound.) If you cannot see the light it can be a bit of a pig looking for the slight twitch of your rudder servo once the set binds.
Once the set binds it offers a pretty decent connection, it is just the ohh so slow initial bind, which, to be honest, is rubbish!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:57 am »

Hi unbuiltnautilus, sorry for you but in some regards happy that I am not alone! I will try the metre separation this evening and see how that goes. This is my first 2.4 set so previously with my 27 MHz sets just used to switch on and go, big difference! As a matter of interest do you use any other radios for different models? Thanks for taking the time to come back to me! Derek

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:33 pm »

For Del Boy
I'm getting confused here with your post regarding  'Hitec Red KA 6 2.4M?
Is it not an Ikkonic set?
Or are they the same?
N

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »

Just noticed the HiTec name in corner of the radio! Didn't realise that and I have one too!
So binding is a slow process then?
I bought mine from Brentford R/C with an extra receiver binded to radio so not aware of how fast or slow it is.
N

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:14 pm »

The Hitec Red is a binding protocol ( not an indication that it is a Hitec product, just that it can be used in a 'bind and fly' format with a number of after market models using the same protocol. Similar to how a number of Horizon products would bind with Spektrum radio equipment ) which provides 'rock solid binding'. Which so far it has, once the darned thing initially binds on switch on! It is an issue every time you turn the set on. The instructions do refer to a minimum distance for binding of, I think, 45cm. It is an annoying design glitch that I have encountered with at least three KA6 sets. I used to think the Planet sets five to eight second binding time was a bit poor, not any more!
I have other sets which have almost instantaneous binding, including Futaba and Multiplex equipment, even a Spektrum 5 channel unit ( yes, me and Spektrum!! ), so I know it's not me being a bit of a div!

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:56 pm »

Looks likely that I will encounter this problem then when I come to buy a couple more receivers soon. I bought this radio for its reasonable price
now looks like it could be a problem.
N

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:15 pm »

Get the binding trick down pat and all should be fine, just take your time and maintain a minimum safe distance %)

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:48 am »

I have now had ago at binding about 2m away. After about ten minutes fiddled with the sticks and it eventually stopped nipping and then after about 30 seconds bound and woke up and started working. So at least I now have a sort of working system. I am wondering if this is a permanent bind or will it just grab any Rx when I eventually get to the club lake?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:53 am »

Avoid fiddling with the sticks before it binds, just let it sit idle until it has bound. It wont wander off and bind with any old set at the pond, but is likely to still take about 40 seconds on initial turn on to pair up. Try turning on with the two items about a metre apart, see if that speeds things up..

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »

Had the same problem with the Ikonnik from Anglia Models. One instruction missing from the binding regime is to switch on tranny, connect receiver and while the set is beeping away move one of the sticks. I move the right one down and it binds straight away!
Not had a problem since. Leaving it beeping doesn't work.

Tony

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 04:43:43 pm »

Just tried it a dozen times. Using different start up sequences. The most reliable option is above, turn on the transmitter, don't touch the sticks, turn on receiver, THEN move throttle stick down ( and back up to neutral if that is your throttle channel, either option works ) to shut up the beeping. Binds every time within a few seconds and up to three metres away from each other.
Good call :-))
On a side note, the number of RTR models, tx/rx combos etc, that give duff binding instructions is on the rise with every new release. Maybe we need a page dedicated to the latest binding specs for different models?

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »

Thanks chaps for the encouragement so tried both your suggestions and even managed a 15 minute bind by wiggling the sticks. Later I tried it in Mode 2 almost for a laugh, worked immediately! Switched back to Mode 1 and that seems OK. Guess each to his own. I did call Howe's today, they have offered to try my Rx's with their Tx so will take up that offer, good of them to try. If you are interested this is the official suggestion from Firelands today

If the transmitter is beeping constantly, that is normally because the throttle channel is getting input, meaning the throttle stick could be bumped up a little bit or the throttle trim could be tuned up. If the transmitter if getting any input, it will not arm the receiver. This could also be caused by the transmitters throttle channel being switched in the wrong direction.

Derek

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »

Thanks chaps for the encouragement so tried both your suggestions and even managed a 15 minute bind by wiggling the sticks. Later I tried it in Mode 2 almost for a laugh, worked immediately! Switched back to Mode 1 and that seems OK. Guess each to his own. I did call Howe's today, they have offered to try my Rx's with their Tx so will take up that offer, good of them to try. If you are interested this is the official suggestion from Firelands today

If the transmitter is beeping constantly, that is normally because the throttle channel is getting input, meaning the throttle stick could be bumped up a little bit or the throttle trim could be tuned up. If the transmitter if getting any input, it will not arm the receiver. This could also be caused by the transmitters throttle channel being switched in the wrong direction.

Derek

Once translated into some sort of practical advice that makes sense. The beeping is a safety feature warning you that your throttle stick is not set to the lowest position. Don't forget all these sets are aimed at aeromodellers, and with an aircraft, especially an electric one, you do not want your throttle starting up unexpectedly.
On your set you may have the throttle servo reverse set in the wrong direction, requiring an 'up' command to stop the beeping instead of a 'down' command. Also switching from mode 1 to mode 2 will switch your throttle chanel from the right hand stick to the left hand stick. Moving your beep stopping ( and according to Firelands and what seems to be confirmed by testing my tank ) the model from initially binding.
So, set it to mode 1 and use the RH stick to stop the beeping OR set it to mode 2 and use the LH stick to stop the beeping. See if an 'up' or 'down' function stops the beeping, depending on where your servo reverse is set, and that should be the action that binds the set to the Rx...and stop wiggling the pishing sticks before it binds!!!

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:04:49 pm »

Absolutely got it thanks. If only that was in the manual would have saved a lot of time and effort from many people but hey ho that's the way it is.

Delighted with everyone's help, truly super so thanks to one and all on Mayhem!

Unbuiltnautilus, assuming you don't just run tanks where do you sail, on the Gosport water? I discovered Frattons the other day, really helpful chap there (and the two ladies), clearly knows almost everything so I will be going there for all my future needs, unfortunately did not ask his name!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 01:49:43 am »

Absolutely got it thanks. If only that was in the manual would have saved a lot of time and effort from many people but hey ho that's the way it is.

Delighted with everyone's help, truly super so thanks to one and all on Mayhem!

Unbuiltnautilus, assuming you don't just run tanks where do you sail, on the Gosport water? I discovered Frattons the other day, really helpful chap there (and the two ladies), clearly knows almost everything so I will be going there for all my future needs, unfortunately did not ask his name!

Glad we all learned something from this actually.
I usually sail on the Canoe Lake in Southsea, failing that any stretch of water that I can get away with putting a boat on, in the Portsmouth area. Mind you it has been a fair while since I got a boat wet.
On the Frattons thing, I can neither confirm nor deny anything %)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.