Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Casablance Class Carrier - A Glynn Guest Design.  (Read 34777 times)

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Casablance Class Carrier - A Glynn Guest Design.
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »

Hi TailUK,

My compliments on your build, this is going to be a nice ship!

Something that caught my eye, is your motormount; the motor is completely 'surrounded' by plastic and wood, covering almost all cooling slots.

If you're running longer distances, things will start to warm up, with no slots free, the heat has nowhere to go and the magnets will heat up to the point of destruction.

If you free the cooling slots on the front and sides, the air can circulate around/through the armature, keeping the heat down.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2015, 09:43:14 am »

Thanks, Jan. 
              That motor and I are old friends and it's actually been in 2 other boats.  It doesn't get that hot, ever.  I don't know why.  It used to be in a Wavemaster 25 but even when it'd been given "the beans" it was never overheated.  In the Casablanca it's running at lower voltage and wont be pushed as hard so I'm not too worried.
However, if it'll make you happy I'll clear out the cooling slots. 
Thanks again. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

denzel

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2017, 11:21:14 am »

Did you get her finished ?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:21 pm »

Thanks for asking.  It went on the back burner until A) I finished having my heart attack and B) The detailing parts I needed turned up on Shapeways.  As it happens I'm closing in on the end of another project so may be able to get back to it.

I have had her on the water and she didn't look to bad, performance wasn't startling but top speed of the original was only 19 knots.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:37 pm »

Hi Tailuk nice to see this project back in the building stage.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:56 pm »

HI ian had my model at St Helens Open Day. It still gets lots of interest even though the model was finished way back in 2009. I have included some pictures taken at the Mobile Marine Open day last year hope you like them.
Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:22 pm »

It is good to see you back and at it!
Pond weed is your enemy

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2017, 03:22:36 am »

Thanks for asking.  It went on the back burner until A) I finished having my heart attack and B) The detailing parts I needed turned up on Shapeways.

Hi TailUK,

I've got the following parts for mine from Shapeways.

4 x Twin Bofors 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
4 x Twin Bofors Elevated 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
1 x US Navy Water Tight Door 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
7 x Oerlikon Depressed Mk4 Base USN STL 4 X 1 144 in Frosted Ultra Detail

Still plan to get some searchlights and life rafts as well as a 5" gun. I've also been looking at the Bofors directors.

Cheers

Bruce

"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Webmaster, Marine Modelers Club of New England
    • Marine Modelers Club of New England
Re: Casablanca Class Carrier - A Glynn Guest Design.
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »

TailUK:

I just dicovered this build-- I really like what you've done so far!

I am building the same model, from the GG plan.  I started the model back in 2013.  Progress was slow, as I used it as the subject for my first-ever fiberglassing of a hull, plus I didn't work on it in the winter because my basement workbench was cold.  I  then put it on the back-burner when we moved in the summer of 2015. It sat there there until earlier this summer, when I started working on it again....   

I have just started work on the flight deck--  I am very jealous of your wood deck!   I am trying some new materials for the hangar and flight deck-- the sides are made from 3mm Sintra, and the deck is 1/4 inch UltraBoard (foam core with a thin styrene covering).  The flight deck is then getting covered with pre-scribed styrene sheet to simulate the planking. 

One comment on your airgroup:   I think you have a typo in your post about the embarked squadron.  VC-36 never sailed on Guadalcanal. 
VC-6 and VC-42 are the first two squadrons that embarked on the Guadalcanal after she entered service, and later VC-69 came aboard.   I'm building mine as she looked in June '44, during the U-505 capture.  I think VC-42 or VC-69 was embarked then.

References:   http://candotg.org/     (Web site of TaskGroup 22.3, which includes CVE-60 and her accompanying units.)

I also found this list of aircraft losses, which lists a VC-69 aircraft loss on CVE-60 in October '44:   https://books.google.com/books?id=nV1IAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq=VC-69+uss+guadalcanal&source=bl&ots=UawPPndg0G&sig=dnpOxuHJJ03nfJHX1Bo1iD9vOQc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim8OyFsafWAhVERiYKHeiFCZwQ6AEIXTAL#v=onepage&q=VC-69%20uss%20guadalcanal&f=false

Another option for the Wildcat kits are the 1/144 scale Sweet kits-- they come two to a box, and are actually models of the FM-2.   They are nicer than the 1960's-era Revell kits, though they are more expensive. https://hlj.com/product/SWT14103

Hope this helps....

-Bill

Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »

Correction to my post above--

I had the wrong squadron and aircraft count.

A fellow on one of the plastic modeling forums pointed me to a fabulous reference:  a listing of US Navy Aircraft Locations, on a weekly basis.  The listing for USS Guadalcanal the week of 6 June 1944 says that VC-8 was embarked with 9 Wildcats and 12 Avengers. 

This is a great resource- the location of US Naval Aircraft on a by-week basis, by theatre.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history/location-of-us-naval-aircraft-world-war-ii/1944/6-jun-1944.html

-Bill

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:11 pm »

Hi TailUK,

I've got the following parts for mine from Shapeways.

4 x Twin Bofors 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
4 x Twin Bofors Elevated 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
1 x US Navy Water Tight Door 1/144 in Frosted Ultra Detail
7 x Oerlikon Depressed Mk4 Base USN STL 4 X 1 144 in Frosted Ultra Detail

Still plan to get some searchlights and life rafts as well as a 5" gun. I've also been looking at the Bofors directors.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

I bought enought twin 40s and single 20mms to outfit my model from shapeways, too!    I also got the 5 inch gun-- it is a real nice looking piece! 

I also have a pair of USN motor whaleboats from the Revell 1/144 scale USS Fletcher--  the owner had upgraded his to resin replacements. 

I have two dozen old resin rafts meant for a 1/96 sclae DD size model-- I'm hoping those will be close enough to look OK....

-Bill

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 08:02:05 pm »

I also got the 5 inch gun-- it is a real nice looking piece! 

-Bill

Hi Bill,

Did you get the 5" on Shapeways?

Cheers

Bruce
KiwiCachers

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 01:19:29 am »

Yes, I got the 5" gun from shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6P5ZDQJ28/5-quot-38-cal-open-mount-1-144?optionId=62370090

I was surprised at how nice it is.

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 01:36:33 am »

Yes, I got the 5" gun from shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6P5ZDQJ28/5-quot-38-cal-open-mount-1-144?optionId=62370090

I was surprised at how nice it is.

Looks good - from memory there weren't any 5" available when I bought the 20mm and 40mm.

B
KiwiCachers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.