Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Relay Question

<< < (5/5)

david48:

There is every chance that there is a relay operating your  car head lights . They are used  to switch on spot lights so that a heavier load can be switched and it does not burn out the contacts on the light switch . Have a look under the bonnet near the battery there might be a box with big rated fuse and some small black cubes a bit bigger than a  oxo cube or they might be green they are just pushed in there might be one for the air con as well if fitted .  All that is just to say that they are still in everyday use .
David

Brian60:

--- Quote from: gman on November 02, 2017, 10:50:59 pm ---So I watched several you tube vids and with the explanations here, and I thank everyone for the feedback. I believe I finally have it. So is using relays old school then? Anyone use them still?

Thanks for the efforts.

--- End quote ---

Of course. They are very big in the robotics field where switching high current with micro controllers like Arduino and Raspberry Pie etc are common place.

Here's a 4 bank for such situations, this particular one comes in 2,4 and 8 relay boards, I have a 4 and an 8 board lined up for my current project, but I'm also exploring other options.

gman:
Nice, care to share how you are going to wire it up and for what components? Where did you get this?

Brian60:

--- Quote from: gman on November 07, 2017, 01:00:33 am ---Nice, care to share how you are going to wire it up and for what components? Where did you get this?

--- End quote ---

As I said these banks are for use with micro controllers, in my case these will be connected via a Arduino Mega. The arduino provides the switching signal to trigger the relay's, the relays are the switch for heavier currents which connect to them via the blue terminals on the board edge.

Freely available via ebay or the many robotic supplies shops that proliferate now.

tsenecal:
most of these "things" now-a-days will use a FET instead of a relay, because the FET is much smaller... but a relay would work fine...

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran_7.html

FETs are also easily available on ebay...   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15A-400W-MOS-FET-Trigger-Switch-Drive-Module-PWM-Regulator-Control-Panel/172521969293?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D2cd21a1bf7d54cb19c0728097d70365f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291780392225&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version