Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new workroom ideas  (Read 2596 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
new workroom ideas
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:35:25 am »

having read this article http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59287.msg621224/topicseen.html#msg621224
I thought it would be an idea for people to put here ideas that you would use in a new work room or what you would do differently!
my own thoughts........ one room is not enough!!! kick the children and missus out and use the whole house! while not really praticable, what i am getting at is expandability. When I started, I thought i would be like with my planes 30 odd years ago... 2 or 3 with maybe 1 being built or refurbed. 150 plus boats subs and yachts later, 2 sheds and a loft and i still have no room! so be realistic! Also, in my loft i would change my lighting, although it was good enough 15 years ago, my work area has changed, and with that the lighting is now not good enough for the building area! Plugs...the baine of my life! I started with a double socket running 1 4 socket extension. I have now put my loft on a seperate ring main with 4 x double socket, running 2 x 8 gang RCD extensions. believe it or not they are not all for tools!!!! extra spot lights x 3 over my extended work area plus a dedicted charging area. another of the sockets is dedicated to the PC (yes a full tower system! with a wall mounted screen) laptops are fine but you need to put them somewhere, the tower is under the table with a pull out table under the main area with the keyboard and mouse. More book space....its amazing how many books I have accrued, let alone the magazines, then then plans..........
wall space for component boxes, how many do you need? how long is a piece of string. What with couplings, brass inserts, connectors, shrink tubing, spare props, fuses and holders, bullet connectors, futaba leads, choc blocks, spare anchors and deck bollards etc then grommets, m2,m3.m4 bolts, plus the connectors for the rudders, spare rudders, spare prop shafts, stanchions, flags, transfers, spare motors (over 200 at present) spare receivers and tx's, servos of various types. escs (I have about 25 non functioning from action and hitec golds to tamiya and mtronics, ces systems and a couple of electronize). then servo screws, pulleys gears and cogs and the list goes on. And yes before you say it I'm a hoarder!!!! I could go on about paints, airbrushes, compressors, fret saws, drills, dremels, glue guns, different glues, soldering irons, solder, charging leads, charging units, batteries etc (oooops I just Did!) and thats before even putting a boat in the loft to store! so space saving ideas are always welcome!!! I even have stuff hanging from the ceiling! (and no its not cobwebs, although I do have a spider in there I have called Boris)
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: new workroom ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:26:22 am »

I would buy a bigger box to put the room in.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:42:48 am »

I moved to France it's a bigger than England so more space for the boats and steam plants {-)
Steamed up all the time

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:44:07 am »

The unwritten rule applies here, the more space you have the more rubbish you collect. All useful rubbish of course.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:27:25 am »

Hi Klunk, some good points.  I am getting towards middle age now, this is on the basis that I shall shuffle off at 150 odd.  I would like to contribute that when you pick up that odd marine item then you have a box or the like to put it.
I have a lot of ice cream containers which are semi transparent, I have labelled them but still have trouble finding the right one.  I have now rescued a 6 drawer chest (3 + 3).  I am trying to work out a simple way of compartmentalising the drawers.  Any help there most welcome.
Unfortnately it is to help with trying to remember where I put things.  I was getting an ice cream box out and leaving it some where else.  You can't pick up the chest of drawers!
I am increasing my lighting at the moment, not quite sure why the world has got slightly dimmer over the last few years.
regards Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:55 am »

The unwritten rule applies here, the more space you have the more rubbish you collect. All useful rubbish of course.
One mans junk goes to klunk!
full time penguin

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:10:47 pm »

THE MAN WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOOLS..........................WINS!

and that applies to boats and all the 'stuff' that goes with them...............at this point in time I could be winning....

Ron.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:25:04 pm »

Hi Ron did you get my PM regarding John Parker?
In our club it is youngest member inherits.
regards Roy

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »

Photos would show off the great ideas!

Been trying to get a satisfactory setup for years! Piles become higher.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:38 pm »

An idea I pinched from Ron Dean's workshop - a length of guttering to store lengths of brass wire and rod to prevent them from getting damaged:

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:44 am »

Good one carl, i use postal tubes upright for brass and strip plastic and wood dowels etc.
full time penguin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:37 pm »

Hi gents I use white plastic pluming pipe with matching clips screwed under my shelf's brass rod small brass flats lots of different plastic profiles have photo's on my SD14 CARD MODEL build but don't know how or if I can transfer them here. unless its just copy and paste

Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »

Good one carl, i use postal tubes upright for brass and strip plastic and wood dowels etc.
Aye - We use tubes from the centres of printer paper rolls for storing all the timber for the kits.
I found the gutter better for the brass as we stock 1 metre lengths of 0.3mm and 0.7mm dia and they are too flimsy to be stood upright without getting damaged.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 10:06:05 am »

We all know the secret place for the keys now Carl
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 12:57:32 pm »

I too use cardboard tubes for timber, Quite a bit of timber, I use the inners from the rolls of paper that are in our plotter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.