Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best prop for a fully modded g230?  (Read 4150 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
best prop for a fully modded g230?
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:24:29 am »

Hi guys right im getting a new motor off a mate in the states for my boat to replace the strimmer motor.What i need is advice on props  for it.the motor is fully modded and has a lightened flywheel and new water cooled jacket etc it will probably rev to over 17k rpm as his last one did.Hes just finnishing off building it for me and is going to test fire the motor this week.He reckons a propshop6718/3 will spin at 17k with this engine and pushes his 45" mono to over 45mph which will do me for starters, i was also going to maybe try this one as a test.A mate has a few of these props on his zens one been a mid mod bonzi engine.Any advice much apreciated guys.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-Propeller-70mm-dia-for-23-35cc-pitch-98mm_W0QQitemZ290154536201QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34058QQcmdZViewItem

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: best prop for a fully modded g230?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:21:47 pm »

Something small enough to let your motor rev out!

That one on ebay will probably not be sharpened or balanced, and I very much doubt it will last 20 minutes if it is made of aluminium. Not on surface drive.

As you know, prop choice is not all about the motor, hull plays a big part as does the set up.

So trial and error all over again with your new motor, and pipe.

Enjoy.

Glenn

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:38 pm »

Hi guys right im getting a new motor off a mate in the states for my boat to replace the strimmer motor.What i need is advice on props  for it.the motor is fully modded and has a lightened flywheel and new water cooled jacket etc it will probably rev to over 17k rpm as his last one did.Hes just finnishing off building it for me and is going to test fire the motor this week.He reckons a propshop6718/3 will spin at 17k with this engine and pushes his 45" mono to over 45mph which will do me for starters, i was also going to maybe try this one as a test.A mate has a few of these props on his zens one been a mid mod bonzi engine.Any advice much apreciated guys.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-Propeller-70mm-dia-for-23-35cc-pitch-98mm_W0QQitemZ290154536201QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34058QQcmdZViewItem

Recognise this from anywhere Mart:

"On my boats running full mod G230's with 257 carb's i like the 6717/3 and the 6718/3"

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:24:13 pm »

Yea i recognise it lol but its allways good to get other ideas  O0,so you think the ali prop wont work then? .Wayne off rcu runs them on his zens and reckons they are good props,by the way he ruined a prather prop last week it split in two but the ali ones still running on a mid mod 260.I allready have one of those ali props its 78 mm and its pretty sharp and very well polished but ive yet to check the balance,i was going to try it on my weedy engine.

omra85

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:32:11 pm »

Mart
You can snap an ally blade with a 67 so don't build your hopes up that it will last!
Don't forget that across the pond 2 minutes is a long run  ;D ;D

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:47:23 pm »

Danny the guy who runs the ali props is over here and hes been running it for months now with no problems and at 6 quid each they must be worth a try.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:07:50 am »

I'm with Danny,

Whilst not doubting that Wayne has been succesful to date, I must confess to being suprised.

The prop gets pounded severely on surface drive, fine on submerged (FSRV), but i think you need something harder for surface to last you.

Last prop I got was 38 quid delivered, shiney, balanced and fast.

For me, it is the way forward to buy the prop to suit, I do not have the time, nor the ability to sharpen, balance, cup, cut, sacrifice lambs at dawn and whatever else goes on to make a prop fast.

I just buy them in!!

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:48:59 am »

Ill stick to sharpening my own props its not so hard,not saying i do it as well as them that knows but it will do me for sports running.By the way i just found out hes sending me a few props to try out with the engine  O0.Hes going to tune the engine on his big hydro and post a video of it so i can see how it performs,then ill need to sort it out to run in the vee.Ill hold off on the ali prop and just keep the one i have for the weedy engine .Must say they are nice looking props though  ;D.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:37:15 am »

Ill stick to sharpening my own props its not so hard,not saying i do it as well as them that knows but it will do me for sports running.By the way i just found out hes sending me a few props to try out with the engine  O0.Hes going to tune the engine on his big hydro and post a video of it so i can see how it performs,then ill need to sort it out to run in the vee.Ill hold off on the ali prop and just keep the one i have for the weedy engine .Must say they are nice looking props though  ;D.

Good move. You landed on your feet there with a free engine and props!!

Just a  quick note of caution, and I am sure you know this, be careful when sharpening and polishing the props, some contain berrylium (Probably spelt that wrong) - it's poisonous.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 12:32:44 pm »

Yea thanks for reminding me i did know but its good to be reminded now and then  O0.I guess its good to have friends ehh,by the way he offered i never asked i wouldnt do that but i couldnt refuse now could i  ;) that would just be rude  ;D.Apparently he has lots of these engines and needed to get rid of some  to make room and he came across this one and decided to make it up for me and its ended up been made from totally new parts and hes even sending me a spare jug and piston but they are stock.didnt have the cheak to ask him to mod them too  ;D.maybe ill have a play with it myself in the future  :-\ that will be fun  ;D.

omra85

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 01:11:43 pm »

... sacrifice lambs at dawn and whatever else goes on to make a prop fast.

I've never told ANYBODY about that - how did you find out?    ;D ;D ;D

Danny Devil's advocate  ::)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:12 pm »

... sacrifice lambs at dawn and whatever else goes on to make a prop fast.

I've never told ANYBODY about that - how did you find out?    ;D ;D ;D

Danny Devil's advocate  ::)

I read it on the OMRA web site Danny.....

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »

hi mart.i used a 275 on my modded zen 23cc,went well.i am now running the ali props of bok .the ones on ebay and am finding them to be ok,not snapped on yet and have put it through its paces.it really will be a trail and error job mate,i have a spare modded 23 and modded piston if you are interested mate.as i have changed the top end to a mhz 26 job.all the best mate

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 07:20:13 pm »

Hi mate thanks for that i fancied trying the ali props i have a big one that i might go well on the zen.I have a fully modded g230 been built now  but out of interest how much were you wanting for youres?.by the way have a look at the new hull i got called the seaquel its nice  O0 ,no Al its not a tub by any stretch and compaired to the nimrif models cat my mate just got sent its a work of art  ;D.heres some pics of the state of his cat he paid almost 200 quid for   :o. i especially like the seemles join he asked for.there really is no excuse for sending a boat to anyone in this state its digracefull.By the way he had this made to order and it was almost a month late then he recieved this heap of crap  >:(.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 10:57:42 pm »

Just needs a tidy up Mart and it'll be fine.

G

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 11:23:39 pm »

Glenn he paid good money to have a boat allready made and finnished off and made seemless ,doesnt appear that way to me also one sponson is twisted something cronic apparently.The hull has holes in it he can stcik his pen into its so bad.Out of interest how would you tidy it up ? id say it needs a dam site more than that  ::).A viking funeral comes to mind,compare it to the boat i just got which looks imaculate,he paid 3 to 4 times as much for that heap of junk  :o.If thats the best nimrif models can come up with then they should be ashamed my mates seething at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.