Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Totnes Castle 1884  (Read 27818 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Totnes Castle 1884
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2018, 05:06:06 pm »

Hat pins used as a wiggler (edge or centre finder). Fix in chuck, held just strong enough to stop it falling out.   Start the drill or mill,gently hold a pen or pencil against the pin moving it until it runs true. Stop the machine. With a magnifying glass but the mark or edge to the point.  In this case but drill in chuck drill hole. Cheep and cheerful  as usual.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2018, 10:21:54 am »

Wheels finished.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2018, 11:26:45 am »

Those paddle wheels are a work of art. I found the narrative interesting to read and now know lots more about the benefits of cold rolled bronze. It might make good RC lorry springs  %)

Do you use an electric iron to soft solder or a blow torch? If the former (and possibly the latter) covering the areas already soldered with wet rag or tissue will act as a heat sink thus saving your work from collapsing every time. Using aluminium like you did was useful to learn as well. Thanks Hammer  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2018, 02:01:39 pm »

I used a blow torch on the wheels. Not much bigger than a pencil. Small flame but very hot. Will take a photo of it when in shop. Not to day as to full of cider.  Somerset cider!!

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2018, 05:03:10 pm »

Pistons & rods. I had to revert to threading the rods into the pistons. Had a disaster with silver soldering them. Holding rod in the lathe turning the piston true to the rod. I had upset the temper, both rods snapped. I had no stainless of that size left. Had to turn down larger diameter. I had a home made traveling steady, so very easy. All other photos taken to day lost in computer somewhere. Take more tomorrow. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »

I have found pic of blow touch.  Computer putting photos at random, I have to find them, & I have a lot of folders.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:50 pm »

Glad that Sommerset Scrumpy is still tasting good  :P......we appear to have the availability of similar gas flame equipment here in OZ

I use the pencil flame for small work, however find the medium sized black torch the pick of the bunch with the rapid action adjustable and stable flame

Derek   
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2018, 02:46:49 pm »

Derek you showed me your so see mine. Know all about the pencil torch. The blue is propane butane mix & the yellow mapp gas. I use he blue most cheaper than mapp. The mapp mostly used on boiler making. If I need anything hotter I get my son to bring oxy-gas unit. 
Drilled the gland nuts through a solid core down the cylinder. Done for better accurse I hope.  Hold the nut other wise it will undo.
The engine parts made, will put it back in the mill to remove excess metal on the frame. then polish it & lap the port faces. The cranks set at 90 degree for smother running, 4 strokes per rev. 180 degree 2 strokes per rev may deliver more power.
It is shown at the angle it will be installed in the boat. Making a wooden frame to hold it. The regulator-reverser will be mounted remotely. Or it may not who knows. Servo control mounted under stair in forward saloon. Yes as I said at the start the saloons will be fitted toilets and all.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2018, 05:25:31 pm »

Fitted a hub to the shaft gear. Notice I am using counter sunk slotted screws. This is because I bought the by mistake at a show. So they will be used. Should have worn my glasses. A rough mock up of the engine room. The engine will not be a such a steep angle. But I do have to find room for a separator, under or forward of the engine. It will have to be a special shape.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2018, 05:52:07 pm »

Made a bracket for the bottom of engine. The two holding screws block the holes drilled for the lower ports, the other two will have studs. The  bracket at the other end will be fitted by trial & error. I had a fright thought the shaft gear was going through the deck. but as seen just got away with it. Fitted the pipes towards the regulator - reverser. Those 10BA screw head look big in the photo! I will have to cut and fit bends as they foul the gas tank as they are. No one has asked how the cylinders will be kept against the frame. Not even my friend from OZ? I have several plans will see which is best, soon.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:29 pm »

Some times I am stupid. No need for extra bends on the pipes. All I needed to do was turn the engine over putting the pipes on the other side. Clear of every thing. I have threaded studs in the passage holes drilled from the side & end to form the steam ways. Fixed with metal-epoxy, trim when set. Also started the bed.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2018, 05:54:20 pm »

Started the separator tank. Well cut a tube & a space it will just fit, I hope. If not I have a smaller gas tank, in another boat, but like to keep it there. The lenses of my ipad has distorted the paddle wheel honest.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »

A rest from engineering today. Companionway & skylights. I took a strip of clear plastic, this cam off packaging of some sort. Strips of wood stuck on with contact adhesive. (evo stick) Scored the corners bent around fitted in place. It fits so will remove & paint wood white. Then stick hard wood strips on the out side. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2018, 10:38:08 am »

Keyed one web & gear to the shaft. Thought I would drill into the joint but the drill kept drifting off the chrome. So drilled as close as I could each side. Then diamond file to make it into a slot. cut a wedge & hammered it in. Probably fix other side with epoxy on final assemble. As there will be no pressure on this side unless I use the higher gear then will see what's what.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »

Looking really good, love your craftsmanship!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »

I don't have a rotary table for the mill. So had to improvise cutting the curve in the regulator - reverser. I do have a vice that swivels. With a pointer in the chuck  & a brass bar between the jaws I found the centre of vice pivot. Then the work was super glued to the bar, to the centre. Moving the bed forward the required distance. the job was easy. 
The 2 parts of regulator b parted off 1" brass rod. Learnt today, fix card around rod between tool and steady, this stopped the chips jamming the steady. 
Drilled the back plate & silver soldered the tubes in. Had to drill back down one where the solder got in. Even with carbon on the tube & mean with the solder.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »

Removed more metal from the engine frame. ran a bull nose cutter along the joint of the two original brass squares. The joint can't be seen now. I have lapped the port faces to the cylinders. Given the rest a good polish.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »

Engine almost complete. Just the springs & fittings for holding the faces together. On the shaft can be seen the spacers that rest against the bearings in the hull keeping the wheels & gear in place. The flats on the shaft to stop grub screws tuning are all inline. I can see the gear is correct line up the wheel will also be right. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2018, 10:40:38 pm »

Looking super RGY :-)) ......

is there a method of maintaining engagement between the engine output shaft gear & the paddle shaft gear....or just the alignment & tightening of the engine base frame?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2018, 06:10:16 am »

Just the righty of the hull, and the position of the base plate. It is the method I have always used and it works. Good to hear from you Derek, and to know you are watching.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »

Your engine is lovely! I could never get on with pencil torches and assume there are more expensive types that don't fail after the first fill?
Pond weed is your enemy

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »

Rigidity of the hull that should be Derek. 
As for pencil torches, mine are cheep, any one who knows me would know that. Getting the gas flow right is the secret.  Turn it on by your & ear listen, you can hear when it is right. Move it away & light. Sometimes have to turn it in & out, on & off to get it right.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »

Here is the adjustable frame to keep cylinders against port faces. The rod slides in & out of tube to tension the spring.  Still in a rough state rushing to get it together for photo. Fettling & polish tomorrow. 

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:41 am »

Looking good. Can't wait to see this thing in action!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:20 am »

May be this will wet your apatite Carl.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PsbzyY5hjQ
One I made earlier. Slow running without a fly wheel. Even down to 5 psi. I hope this one will be nearly as good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.