Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Tool  (Read 2872 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Mystery Tool
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:07 pm »

I'd like to get opinions on what this might for!  It's a shade under 4.75 inches (120mm) long and made from a single piece of steel.  The taper is a No1 Morse Taper and there are small center drilled holes at both ends.
Any ideas?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mystery Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:29:50 pm »

It looks like it might be a burnishing tool. Used by carpenters on card scrapers to finish/debur the edges after sharpening.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:35:05 pm »

Could be a "Fid"used for splicing rope by shipwrights and others, nemesis

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:51:36 pm »

Maybe a plug gauge, insert into tapered hole, shoulder is the correct depth? But no 'GO' - 'NO GO' marks.
Or maybe a lapping tool, spread carborundum paste and twist in hole? But no signs of wear.
Toolroom gauge because of the centre holes?
Probably checking gauge, using micrometer blue and check if tapered hole is correct.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:01:53 pm »

It looks like it might be a burnishing tool. Used by carpenters on card scrapers to finish/debur the edges after sharpening.
exactly what it is TT...........both in secondary school in o and A level woodwork and then for some years after, teaching the subject I used to burr my cabinet scrapers on them.
however never knew what the holes were for other than knotting string at one end and making a loop at the other [handle] end for hanging it up by.
my grand dad who was a master cabinet maker had a few in his tool box and actually showed me at a tender age how to "sharpen" a cabinet scraper with file and then burr the edges.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »

Looks like it is not a burnishing tool.....?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 06:33:05 pm »

The burnishing tool is intriguing but the taper shows no sign of wear.  The No1 size Morse Taper is a puzzler but I like the idea of a lapping tool.  Don't think it's a Fid as it's a little short and blunt, a bit like me!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »

Looks like it is not a burnishing tool.....?

always someone trying to prove you wrong............after 55 years of woodworking experience and having in my possession a lot of my grand dads tools dating back to the late 19th century...............I can categorically say that he had numerous of those in his tool box.
the one you show is a modern rendition of an old tool.............actually looks like a knife sharpener for the Sunday roast...
and that's all I'll say on the matter.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

Definitely not a burnisher turning tool, I use one of those on my cabinet scrapers.  Probably an alignment tool for a specific task, see:-
https://cnc-specialty-store.com/maintenance-tools/tool-changer-alignment-tool-holder-atc-alignment-tool
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 07:32:51 pm »

Don't get me wrong Ian, but I have never ever known a woodworking tool with, firstly 'morse' engraved on a STEEL handle. Secondly, centre drilled both ends.
Yes you have your grandfathers tools in your pocession, not disputing that, nor your 55 years experience.
It is a plug gauge, period..........40 years engineering experience! How many times did one trade 'borrow' another trades tools, plug gauge has hardened surface, very useful to sharpen things on.
I am saying no more on the matter.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »

Not an expert on tools or much else for that matter although I have come across some 'tools' in the workplace in my time but they normally got sacked, sent to coventry or just bu####ed off!
Googled Morse Taper gauges and hey presto there they are, albeit more modern versions.

Argument settled (possibly)..........or maybe not.

I agree with trades using other trades tools, after all how many of us use our own tools for not exactly the use they were first intended for. How many times have we adapted a tool for a particular use because we are too lazy to search for the right tool or too skint from buying boaty bits to go and buy one............or may be the tool we need would only be used once in a hundred years!

I always use the mantra.....Assess, adapt and overcome in most things I do, got me through life thus far and keeps me in employment too.....bonus! :-))
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:17:32 pm »

Morse Spindle Taper Plug Gauge No1

I am not an expert but doing a bit of research the obvious fact is that the term Morse Taper is just a reference to the geometry used for machining the taper as used in lathes for dead or rolling centres that support the end opposite to the chuck when machining. I also found the following:

Morse spindle taper gauges are for inspection of Morse spindle tapers. Gauges made from a hardened gauge steel.

See picture below. The handle in the picture has a milled finish. The one above looks to have a plain handle.

Hope this helps

David
David

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:30 am »

Looks like mystery solved;  a Morse Taper Checking Gauge!  Thanks for the input, guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.