The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Springer Tugs

GALA GIRL (Springer tug)

(1/31) > >>

radiojoe:

Hi all,  With Brocklesby almost completed apart from the odd bit of detail I think of now and then,  I've had the urge to build something and another Springer will do nicely, fairly cheap to build and a compact size, after a rummage round my work shop I found I had most of the running gear, just a prop and coupling to buy and of course the plywood from SLEC.COM that came the next day.
So I've been having fun this week doing the drawings for Gala Girl, as I've chosen to call her, I say Springer, it's more Springer-ish, I'm modding the hull to get away from the inverted wing shape by having some flat areas front and bottom, it will be interesting to see if there is any effect the submarining tendency, and this time I'm determined to build slower, well that's the plan anyway.

Joe.

Starspider:

Joe good drawings a second career maybe ok2 . To slow you down perhaps the good lady could tie one of your hands to the bench or behind your back  %% , although not sure that would slow you that much. Think I will follow along always learn something.
Enjoy your build.

Colin

radiojoe:
Thanks Colin, of course when she's finished your third bell will have pride of place on her wheelhouse. :-))
This build is something to do during the long winter days, sitting nice and warm watching telly is fine now and then but every day would drive me nuts. %%
So now I'm almost finished the drawings and have all the running gear and plywood together, so next I'll make the rudder, I don't know why but in all my scratch builds I've made the rudder first,  it's probably because I think of the rudder as part of the running gear if that makes sense, anyway I'll do a build log on her if only to keep me focused so after she's finnished I have a folder of photos if I didn't do a log I'd probably forget to take photos. O0

Starspider:
No what you mean about the TV. Hoping to get my shed finished over the next couple of weeks and get started on some modelling at last  >>:-(
Shall look forward to the build log always learn something lol. Rudder first is as good as anywhere to start just as long as you enjoy it.
Colin

radiojoe:

Made the rudder today by laminating pieces of styrene over the stock, I've chosen a fishtail rudder again as it worked so well on my first Springer. the fishtail is formed by having the two outer 0.5mm laminations wider than the two center 1.5mm ones then the over hang on the 0.5 ones are bent outwards and the void is filled with P38.   ok2

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version