Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37906 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Jerry’s second steam launch.
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:03:09 pm »

Following on from “Jerry’s Steam Launch Wear” and “Jerry Does Some Milling and Turning”, I’m starting the promised larger launch. This time last year I’d finished the boiler, engine, feed pump and burner. I brought them with me to Canberra to build a launch down under to keep me off the streets and to give myself something the keep the little grey cells happy.      I spent 6 months hoping a suitable hull would turn up but to no avail. Went back to our boat in the marina in Cheshire and after a couple of weeks visiting family, arranging phones and internet we commenced our Summer Cruise on the cut. This on Facebook entitled “Angelica’s Adventures”.We travelled to Liverpool for the Mersey River Festival and Armed Forces Day. Then cruised the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, The Aire and Calder Navigation, The Huddersfield Canal, The Huddersfield Narrow (Shallow), Canal, The Ashton and Rochdale canals before returning to our marina. Sometime before Liverpool I found a used 49” GRP double ended clinker built fishing boat hull. I bought it sight unseen and had it delivered to my brother in laws in Liverpool. On completion of our cruise he delivered the hull to the marina. I was very pleased with it and reckoned with a few changes to its outline I could come up with a decent steam launch.First question, how to get it to Canberra?  Too big for Royal Mail and all the couriers wanted £390 to deliver it. They should cocoa. It only weighed 9.4 kg so with a bit of rearranging our check in baggage we actually managed to bring it for free as hold baggage. Customs weren’t interested in it so a winner!After a week acclimatising and getting over jet lag it’s time to get started. First job was to cut out the upper deck. Tried with a pad saw from Bunnings. Rubber blades so gave up and bought a cheap jigsaw which made short work of it. Water line is determined by the diameter of propeller add a bit of stern trim for aesthetics and marked it with a felt tip pen. The hull is very similar in shape to an old ships lifeboat and at first sight doesn’t look right for an Edwardian launch having far too much freeboard. Fairly easily sorted by cutting out both sheer strakes and the plank below. Now she looks more like it, a straight stem, lovely amount of shear and will sit nicely to her waterline. I found the longitudinal CofG, Gl, by simple balance method. I’ve marked this inside the hull for future reference. A trip to Majura Models and Hobbies in Fyshwick got me a used 4 channel 2.4Ghz tranny, a tiny Rx, a 5 cell battery pack and three tiny servos. Looks like the store has most of the materials I’ll need for the build and very helpful too. Got some 3mm stainless nuts bolts and washers plus a few nyloc nuts for good measure also some Ali tubing and 6mm ply sheet. Not having any plans to work from is a bit difficult coz I’ve got to frame out the foredeck, side and after decks. Will visit a sheet metal works tomorrow to bum some 1/2” Ali angle to make a ladder base for the steam plant. I want to be able to remove the plant as one quickly and easily as I can with S L Wear. So this is what I’ve done so far today. Jerry.

When I tried to post this with pictures this is a screenshot of the result. My iPhone used to take jpeg pics. Why won’t it let me? In the past I have taken a pic, emailed it to myself, resizing in the process and using resized pic in post but now it won’t let me. I’ve spent 2 hours trying.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »

I wonder if it's because your picture files seem to have the extension .jpeg whereas the software only allows .jpg?  I suppose you could try editing the file name to see if it fixes the problem?

That was a bit frustrating - I read your post with growing anticipation, only to get to the bottom and... nothing!  {:-{   But I'm looking forward to this once you have the picture issue sorted.

Greg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »

Jerry...my land line e-mail address is in my profile....send me the images & I will try & post them on your behalf in this thread......

[Are you sure the hull is Australian or could it have dual Nationality  {-) ]...current OZ joke  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »

I’m looking forward to this build Jerry. Your other threads were great and good luck with this build too  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:57:56 pm »

Thanks guys, it’s good to be back.

Why does the site allow an iPhone screenshot but not an iPhone photo? Are they not one and the same?
Also noticed if I copy a picture from a previous post it rejects them too.
How do I access the photos details to alter the suffix?
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:48:51 am »

I do remember when you purchased this hull Jerry, as we thought it may have been filled resin foam to the top  O0............... the first image shows what may have been covering the hull  %)

...that looks like a John Moore [bogstandard] twin engine OK......but what is the single cylinder water pump?......that looks  :kiss:

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:13:34 am »

Hi Jerry,

Good to hear that you are still on the planet, try this link,( http://www.orionmouldings.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4188609 ) I think this may be the hull that you bought.

Derek,
The pump is a steam driven pump by Southworth pumps, I have made several of them but they are very delicate once they have been timed and are not to be fiddled about with and stand about 3" high, they are very good pumps and being steam driven can be balanced to a boiler very accurately without having an over flow valve.
Mainly fitted to Loco's

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:20:08 pm »

Thank you Derek for the pics. I’ve searched my iPhone settings but can’t find how to see the file type. I’m doing nothing I haven’t done before. I take the pic, email it to myself when it asks me what size to send I choose <300kb and send it. When it comes back I put it in a resize folder for future use.
Engine is bog standard (I built two at the same time) gave the other to my Nephew who lent me the lathe. George, that’s defo the same hull. I got a bargain there.
I’m working with limited tools in what’s going to be a red hot garage. Frantically training for  L,Etape Australia 2nd December, got savaged by a Magpie protecting a nest, the sod drew blood and this immediately after a very close encounter with a big red kangaroo flying in front of me nearly ruining my Mt Tennent descent!! Going to the NSW State 505 championship at Lake Mcquairy tomorrow supporting my daughter (she’s only just recovering from the World 505 Championships in Annapolis USA). We’re very proud of her.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »

Understandably proud of your daughter.....glad you are enjoying OZ........Lake Macquarie is an absolutely beautiful place

My family....[when children] spent many long weekends aboard & on the water.......from Pulbro Island...to Wangi Wangi & down to the Swansea bridge near the ocean

You will love it  :-))   
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:29:33 pm »

Dereck, I forgot to say she was sailing under the Australian flag. 8738 seen here in the Australian National Championships. Still won’t let me post a pic. A build without pics ain’t worth much!
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:21:33 am »

Test

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:35:15 am »

Ok, pics. Heres the gen. An iPhone takes JPEG format which this site forbids. However when you take a screenshot on an iPhone it uses PNG format which is permitted. So this is what I have to do to show a pic on here.
1. Take pic
2. view pic
3. Take screenshot
4. Email screenshot to self
5. When prompted to send smaller pic select less than 300kb option.
6. Save image when email received
7. Move resized pic to Mayhem resized folder

THIS IS DUMB!!!! I had no trouble before so can somebody tell me what has changed.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 12:53:52 am »

Jerry......the images you e-mailed to my land address were all .JPG....not .JPEG...hence I did not convert them in any way prior to posting

I believe the permissible file type listing is from the PHP software host, nothing to do with MBM forbidding the file format....I am sure Martin will correct me if I am wrong

Advanced technology is a little beyond me O0

Good to see your daughter sailing as an Australian.......the lake at this time of year would probably have 10 individual races in different locations on each Saturday and Sunday...after all the lake is probably about 50% larger than your largest pond 'Lough Neagh' in the UK  {-)...

Due to the shallowness of the lake, it can get very rough & choppy in storms......the Western or and Eastern sides of Pulbah Island  provides a great lee with good anchorage dependent on the direction of the storms

You still have to answer the question of the source of the steam driven water piston pump [I don't remember Jon Moore manufacturing one]

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:59 am »

Pump is a Southwark design. Got the plans and castings from Blackgates in uk
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:56 am »

I’ve been shopping, mainly at Bunnings. I’ve no gear here but only buying things I can’t do without.
I removed the remains of the deck, it’s support and the residue of the adhesive used. Not sure what it was, something like no more nails or sticks like shot. Excellent whatever it was.
Got 2 bags of clothes pegs from the local Iga for pennies.
Off to aforementioned model shop for some 4’ lengths of 5/16” square spruce stock. Need a bit more cos loa is 4’ 1” so will use the sanding station to cut the scarfs wit a suitable guide fence.
Used pegs to hold in position flush with new gunwales. A few days should put a set into them.
Jerry.

http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/gWvV

http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/gh7T

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:38 am »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:34 am »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:05 am »

I made up the start of a ladder frame then started to have a look at how things might go. First up was to prop up the front of the frame to point the output shaft in the general direction of where the propeller shaft may end up. Then when things looking reasonable I stuck the ladder frame in position with Ticky tape, drew  around it on the hull inner surface and projected the top of the frame out to the hull sides by laying the pen on its side and running tip around the hull.
Next using a tried and tested method for finding shape of inner hull by using a pointer and pen I marked out for some floors.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 05:00:10 am »

There should have been a pic with the previous post.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 05:03:26 am »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 05:06:28 am »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 05:08:59 am »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 05:15:10 am »

I need somebody on here to tell me how, on this new pic System I write one post with pics and description all on one post. Every time I put the BB code on the page then go back to the album to pick up the code for the next picture when I get back to the composing page the first code has gone.
Not happy.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »

Jerry...do you have a plan for the construction?.....or just a freelance design?....the real question is will there be any athwart ship beams or reinforcement at or near deck level?...or will the glass hull have sufficient strength?
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.