Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37567 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2018, 09:12:51 am »

Jerry definitely thats a great idea - we can sort something out when you get down to this neck of the woods  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2018, 01:35:47 pm »

Mark, follow us on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/mimiandjemonthecut/

Our blog. Angelicas Adventures

Jerry

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2018, 02:52:25 pm »

Tis done  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2018, 04:21:56 am »

I ta taken along time to get the deck planks and caulking down. The wife had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and things have been a bit hectic to say the least. She’s back home now but has to have another stent put in in 6 weeks. They found she had had a previous MI which she knew nothing about but had automatically set up new vesse to bypass the restriction. They want to open that up and stent it. Consequently she is unable to return to UK for a year (we were due to return on Monday but that’s gone out the window now. I however have to return to look after our boat, batteries, rust and paint etc so will take boat out of the marina and wend my way down to the Midlands canals as previously planned so will still be able to meet up With Mark T in Dudley or nearby.
I didn’t want to leave without finishing the deck so I’ve today and half of tomorrow to sort it. A bit of sanding then fit the rubbing strips. The pencil marks on the foredeck are indicators for the sanding process so I can see where I am.
I will return to Oz in November so even though I’ve retired this is going to be one more trip away. Nothing really changes does it.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2018, 04:52:06 am »

I forgot to give a massive Bravo Zulu to the ambulance, paramedics, Medicare, the Canberra Hospital staff and the Reciprocal Agreements. I imagine the Travel Insurance Company do too. She was assessed, admitted , tested for everything ultrasounds and X-rayed rapidly. She fell ill on Saturday evening, had angiogram and stented first thing Monday and back home Wednesday. We are so grateful we were here. Mind you having a formidable daughter as a recovery nurse next door carried a lot of weight. Wife was a nurse too. They look after their own here.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2018, 07:04:20 am »

Jerry...good to hear your Wife is progressing well.....also great to understand our OZ medical system in Canberra provided A1  :-)) quality service

Will your wife's medical condition/history allow her to return to the UK by flight?

The 59" monster  <*< can wait....family first 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:00 am »

Hi Jerry I did see this on Facebook but I did not realise that it was your wife who had a heart attack!  I really hope that she is ok and when you do get over here I'll buy you a couple of pints of Bathams real ale - its great stuff  :-))   Mind you its not a good idea to steer a boat afterwards  {-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2018, 09:37:11 am »

Thanks Derek, care was Lloyds A1 +. The boat is our home and everything is tied up in it. If I stayed here it woul be 18 months away. Also we are continua cruisers so have to keep moving under the regs. It costs an arm and a leg to let it lie in a marina.
Mark I like real ale but I’m a Banks Mild man myself. We’ll share a few. Looking forward to it.
Jerry

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »

Sorry to hear about Mrs Jerry. I do hope she gets fully mended soon. And that you get your boat repositioned OK. Trying times for you I guess, but the steam launch will wait until you have sorted the really important things. Good fortune to you both.

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2018, 02:41:37 am »

Ok guys and gals I’m back in Oz, in me shed and back at work.
First job was to sand down the deck planks. Got the edges square to the sheerstrakes. I’ve saved all the half rounds I cut off the L section Tassie Oak lengths. These I glued and pinned over the join between deck and sheerstrakes to serve as rubbing strakes. They took the bends with no treatment. Used polyurethane glue.
 A half round cut down the middle gives two fillet pieces to fair in the deck to the coaming.
I made up some guides out of aluminium bar to fit on the Dremel so I could trim the top of the coaming at a constant height above the deck. The second guide on the Dremel cut the coaming under the deck at a constant distance from the top. I need a trip to model shop by airport for something to cap the coaming laminate which is made up of a cross grain balsa core inside two sheets of 1mm spruce ply.

ψω

Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:10 am »

Great to see you back at the bench Jerry.  And I hope all is well with Mrs Jerry, Angelica and life in general.
Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2018, 06:54:39 am »

I thought I needed a little mahogany to contrast with the white deck planks so used spirit stain.
I made up a soaking bath with a metre length of20mm plastic water pipe and a stop end to soak the 1/4round coaming fillets in cloudy ammonia solution prior to bending around the coaming. I’ll let them soak overnight and see what happens.
Jerry.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:19 am »

Nice job Jerry and good to see you back in oz :-)) Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2018, 08:58:22 am »

ThanksJohn. Mary much better, lost a load of weight(we both have). I’m feeling it climbing up Mt. Tennant on the bicycle, training for Decembers race at Jindabyne. Everything feeling easier.
Little work today, removed two strips from the soak tube and they bent around the coaming easily so left them clamped up to dry out.
Off to Queanbeyan for the town show. All the usual suspects but I love rural shows.
Followed that with another training run with Sarah, my eldest whose doing the race with me.
More tomorrow
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:15 am »

Hi folks, long time no post. I have actually done some work on the launch in dribs and drabs but haven’t posted for some reason, anyway here goes. I needed some form of deck rail to edge the deck with and to compliment the half round rubbing strake. The stock I’m working with is Tasmanian Oak machined semi L section. With my homemade Dremel powered table saw I cut the half round bottom of the L of and I chose a piece of the remaining 20mm strip to make to deck/handrail type edges. I mounted the Dremel into it’s router attachment then mounted that assembly into my cheepo  router table. Using a 5mm straight router bit and putting in a false fence around the bit to fill in the large gap that the table comes with to give better support to the strip I cut out equal sections from one side of the strip with smaller equal supports left. Once one side completed I flipped the strip over and repeated the process on the other side. Replaced Dremel in table saw and cut the strip in half down it’s leng giving me two rails. A bit of work with an emery board rounded off the square section.
The curve of the launches sides is quite gentle so the railed can be bent cold and dry. Put the Dremel into the table saw and drilled 1mm holes in way of the rail supports. With polyurethane glue and 1mm pins I secured the rails to the deck edges.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2019, 11:07:07 am »

My daughter Sarah and I completed L’Étape Australia successfully at the start of December achieving our aims and improving on last year and entered for next years ride. In January we did a 3 day tour of the Snowy Mountains carrying luggage and staying overnight in pubs and hotels. The beginning of March saw us ride in tThe Big Canberra Bike Ride 65Km, while my wife Mary bravely entered the 35Km Ride 9 months after her heart attack with Son in law Chris riding as her tail gunner/wingman.  Medals all round.
The weather has been a bit cooler of late so got a bit more done on the launch. When I cut the top two planks off the original fishing trawler hull to change it to more of a launch hull of course I lost the stem and stern posts so I laminated some of my strip stock and made two posts. Which I glued and pinned in position. The laminations will be hidden by brass strip later.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2019, 11:26:16 am »

Next I tackled the top capping to the open laminate top edge of the cockpit coaming. Trimming a half round strip to the width of the coaming laminate I made two caps. These were soaked in cloudy ammonia then drilled, glued and pinned in the same manner as the deck rail. Not 100% successfully at the tight fire and aft curves but when all dried out I punched the pins under the surface of the capping, filled with mahogany filler and after a quick sand the coaming looked ok. I stained the deck rails and capping and everything blended in nicely.

Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2019, 01:38:06 pm »

Nice work Jerry, well worth waiting for. And I am very impressed with your cycling.  You are clearly a lot fitter than me!  :D

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2019, 06:43:01 pm »

Hi Jerry great to see you building again and it’s looking lovely  ok2

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2019, 09:43:51 am »

A couple of weeks ago I helped out at a work bee at grandsons play school. Cutting down some trees and getting rid. They had a garden waste shredder that didn’t work. I said I’d have a look at it and see if it was repairable. Turned out it was a simple fix but I needed to turn the cutter blades round to present the unused sharp side to the wood. The bolts were seized solid and couldn’t shift them with an impact driver. Heat required. I’ve got the burner I made for the boiler but had been told that the type of gas bottle (threaded self sealing) is not available in Oz. So, off to Bunnings to see what’s available. First thing I see is a torch with same kind of fitting as I use at home but only straight butane, no propane mix. Still one of those cans will do me fine to loosen the bolts. Then the rub, they have the torch and can as a set but got no refills. Asked an assistant and he told me I could get them at a camping store nearby. I nipped round and they’ve not only got them but also got the squat, low, wide ones too. These are the very type I need for the launch so bought two.
Loosened the bolts easy and returned shredder to play school in working order.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2019, 10:03:17 am »

Next job is to make up a bulkhead between aft cockpit and engine. Simple construction in situ. A spreader across the bottom from hull side to hull side and another directly above just below the cockpit coaming. Then found Centre and vertical and glued a plane plank forward and aft from top to bottom. Then alternate stained and plain planks. On the port side I put in two pieces of 1/16” brass rod to simulate 4” brass hinges to a fake door. On completion I will make up a capping rail with brass inserts to replicate a lifting hinged section similar to a bar flap in a pub.

It’ll come up lovely when varnished. Got to find a set of brass dolls house doorknobs.
Jerry

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2019, 02:18:04 pm »

I finished the bulkhead capping including two slanted pieces of brass sheet and faux hinges to replicate a lifting section of capping above the faux door.

Next I started looking at making the boats wheel turn when the rudder moves. I decided on one full turn of the wheel for a hard over signal each way. I found a piece of dowel of roughly the right diameter to serve as the main drum for the wheel. Every window in this house has to be open about six inches to permit the evaporative cooling to function. A dowel is placed in the bottom window track to stop it being opened any further from outside to frustrate burglars.  Wizzed a bit off one of these. 
I searched the internet for 1/2” diameter brass sheaves to no avail so using two diameters of brass washers I soldered up 10 sheaves. On completion I mounted them on a 3mm bolt, stuck them in the drill chuck, clamped drill in vice and dressed up the sheaves with Swiss file.

Using my standard stock I quickly fashioned a steering console? Using the sanding station and superglue. I made two mounting brackets using same method, secured these inside the vertical sides of the console with screws then applied superglue to the mounts and then applied the whole console centrally to the rear of the bulkhead and clamped it up.

Once the glue had set I removed the clamp then ran a 5mm drill square to the bulkhead through bulkhead and console for the wheel shaft. Then, pushed a length of 5mm brass tube through the bulkhead and console to form future bushes for the wheel shaft to turn in. I wicked superglue around the tube at the forward side of the bulkhead. When it cured I removed the console securing screws and removed the console. I wicked some more superglue around the tube at the after face of the bulkhead. Then I cut the excess of the tube off leaving a bush fixed through the bulkhead. From the tube off cut I cut another bush and pushed that through the hole in the console. I replace the console in position and did up the screws. I slid the 4mm rod through both bushes then wicked superglue around the console bush. Finished console off by superglueing  a 5mm washer around bush for the wheel hub to run against.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2019, 10:37:24 am »

[
url=https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/JSHn2]

The wheel, on order from Cornwall Models which I will pick up in UK and bring out to Oz in November, is now operated by lines and pulleys from the rudder servo arm. 
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2019, 11:12:55 am »

Made a start on the rear cockpit lining. The midship aft centre section is removable to access steering gear as are the two planks on stbd. side to access receiver and wiring.
I also made a swinging brass cover for the forward three pulley shafts so I can lubricate the wheel shaft forward Bush.
I also notice that the gas canisters are a “four seasons mix”. Closer reading of the small print reveals a mix of Butane, Isobutane and Propane, even though the store said not available in Oz.
I’m thinking of utilising building expanding foam to fill all void spaces in and around the hull to make the model unsinkable. Before I do I need to do a floatation test to find approximate waterlines) weigh the boat, do some sums to see if it’s worth doing. I’ll have to brush up on Simpson’s Rules, find some volumes. Learnt them 55 years ago and never used in anger since.

Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »

Thats looking great Jerry and very inventive too  :-))   I've started using mahogany now and boy is it difficult to see your pencil markings on it after you've marked it out.  Do you get the same problem as I find it really frustrating?  I've never used a dark hard wood before.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.