Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37526 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2020, 07:48:15 pm »

Nice job Jerry - I take it that’s Mary’s rolling pin that she keeps you in line with  <*< {-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2020, 11:08:01 am »

I finished off the remaining side of corrugated iron then cut the crusts (top edges) off the roasting tins. I glued and pinned two lengths of 6mm square section of balsa wood down the ridge and finished it off with the aforementioned crusts. I ironed on the vertical edging strip and trimmed it down. A little random battering and ageing to take the shine off and canopy is ready to fit.
I have hardwood 4mm dowel which I cut into 8 off 6” lengths. I rigged up a jig to hold the inverted canopy horizontal and level and offered the lot up to the bench drill and drilled 8 blind 5mm holes square to plane of the canopy around the edge. Into these holes I set 8 off 3/4” long sections of 5 mm brass tube secured with cyo. When dry I fitted in the 6” stanchions. Placed the whole lot on the deck and with cotton pulled the lower ends of the stanchions into the coaming, wiggled them into position so all vertical and marked the deck with the required positions of the lower stanchion chocks. On the lathe I turned up 8 off 3/4” wooden dowels with a 5mm hole through the centre to take brass tube. Will throw them at the sanding station tomorrow and grind each one down to size and fit them all into position. The canopy top is still a bit too shiny so a thin dusting off grey should tone it down some. Maybe a touch more rust and bird shite.
My eldest daughter is an accomplished artist and is quite into indigenous art types. She’s studying the Canberra style pics with a view to a bit of artwork on the top of the canopy. I favour those pics made up of paint dots. Who knows either way it’ll be different.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2020, 08:30:04 am »

Bit of a production line today shaping  stanchion deck mounts, cutting and inserting brass tubes, staining and varnishing. Also stained the stanchions and rubbed the boat stand down with wire wool and put on the final coat of varnish.

All done freehand on the sanding station.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »

Canopy fitting completed, just a little adjustment to the stanchions required.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2020, 12:40:33 pm »

Had a good tidy up of the workshop and found some thin brass sheet. I’ve been looking for miniature Danforth anchors but they seem all to be a bit naive and cost more than a real one. There’s not a lot to them really so found one on EBay which had some dimensions in the pics. Captured the pic on my iPhone, expanded it to my scale and drew a plan. Marked the brass sheet with marker blue, put it under the plan and marked through with a Stanley blade. Cut out the parts with straight snips, bit of gentle hammering and fine filing before soldering. Only took an hour. What do you think?

Quick flash of primer

Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »

I think it looks splendid Jerry.  Well done.  Looks like it will hold well!

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2020, 06:13:52 pm »

That is one lovely anchor Jerry - very nice  :-))

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »

Jerry that is a work of art. I can only imagine that you have very small fingers! Some jewelry chain will make it usable?  Very super work. :-))

-Carl

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2020, 01:49:14 am »

Chain appears to be a bit of a problem scale wise. I t wouldn’t be studded on a boat like this and all the modelling outlets supply rubbish so cheapo jewellery shops seems the best option. I’ll know it when I see it. Actual assembly of the anchor is easy but needs planning and support. I only used soft solder and a pen type gas torch. Rest the parts to be soldered on a heat sink with supports/weights to hold the two parts used fine solder. Cut off the correct length, roll it straight and put it on the joint cold. Put the flame to one end and as soon as it puddles run the flame down the joint chasing the puddle. Only need one steady hand this way and easy to control. Then move on to another section using the first bit as a steady.
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »

Hi Jerry.

Billing boats make 2- types of chain both in brass
F2.2 mm x 2 m

F327 1.6mm x 2m

I have used the 1.6 mm chain as rudder linkage , it has 12 links to 1 inch. it runs very freely thro' 5/32" copper pipe.

You can get it at. (https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/billing_boats_chains.html ) or any Billings boat stockist.

First pic shown at 1"

Hope this helps.

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2020, 06:40:10 am »

Thanks George, I did see that stuff but want 1/4 mile oval shaped links, however, if the joins in each link are soldered then I could soon make them oval. Are they? I only want 5”. Daughters going to go through her jewellery box in case anything suitable.
That hull is similar to mine which is 48” stempost to sternpost.
Anyway first I need a shackle, again nothing I liked on tinterweb so decided to make my own. Bit of scrap brass sheet, 1.5 mm drill and brass rod, tins nips and needle files and here we are.   

Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2020, 10:18:13 am »

Hi Jerry,
The links are soldered but it appears that you would want the 2.2 mm links which I don't have any.

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2020, 10:50:06 am »

That’s ok George. I’m not on the bum. If I can’t find anything I’ll make up my own.What’s the story on that double ender hull?
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2020, 12:21:37 pm »

Hi Jerry,

The double ender is a TITANIC life boat made in Taiwan for display purposes only and as I had just finished machining a set of Reeves Marcher twin steam engine, so rather trying to explain it all to you here is a link to a forum that I use where I posted the build.

Have a read. (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2988006-Titanic-lifeboat-steam-conversion )

Have a read.

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2020, 10:21:07 am »

Today I’ve been working on a spurling pipe for the anchor cable. I needed to make a very tight bend in a 5mm o/d brass tube. This is what I think I’ll need

The bend is a small radius so can’t use my bending tool so it’s back to old fashioned methods. Heat up end of pipe and pinch the end.

Fill tube with salt, tamp  down well, heat end and pinch off. Heat centre and make a 90° bend using a 1/4” mandrel.

Cut out the bend and clear the salt out. Not perfect but I can recover it.
Turned a mounting plate on the lathe.

Went to Lincraft and found some 7mmx4mm straight oval chain from the jewellery making section. Exactly what I’ve been after and well made to boot. Next I made the slotted flap that closes off the spurling pipe and supports the chain. Too small to solder so used super glue.
Time to put some grey primer on anchor and chain. When completely covered I’ll finish the spurling pipe.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2020, 10:14:33 am »

A couple of light coats of grey primer overnight and boxed off the anchor department.

Then made an ensign staff socket  for the sternpost. Shows how I hold parts for soldering. In this case a 5mm length of s/s rod, a flat filed on the 6mm tube, paint on  Bakers fluid and place a length of 1 mm solder each side. Then run the solder down with the pencil torch.   

Tomorrow, the ensign staff.

Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2020, 12:44:41 pm »

Good job Jerry.  Nice metalwork and soldering.

And you know how annoying it is when some pedant picks you up on a trivial matter that really isn't a big deal?   >:-o   Well, grit your teeth because I reckon you have led your anchor chain the wrong way through the bushed hole before attaching it to the anchor.

Sorry.   :embarrassed:

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2020, 01:01:29 pm »

Well spotted. I got it right first then took it off for paint. Must have been thinking about the next job. Fortunately the links aren’t soldered cos the shackle, chain in spurling pipe and anchor are permanently fixed. Cheers.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2020, 01:03:49 pm »

Then again I might leave it this way but glue note under the table so I can show it when someone else spots it.
Jerry.

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2020, 04:36:30 pm »

some very very nice brass work..

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:43 pm »

I’ve had several things going on since my last post. The first job was to rectify my cock up with the anchor chain which needed an extra four links adding in the correct position.

Next put a length of 1/2” wooden dowel in the lathe and turned down to 6mm then put a taper on with a file until it looked right. Turned a bit of scrap brass into a halyard sheave for the ensign staff truck. Turned a truck, added a slot for the sheave and held in position with a 1mm pin. Soldered up a socket for the staff to sit in and glued it to the sternpost.

Gave Float a Boat a call and ordered a BECC Australian Marine Red Ensign. They’re a lovely quality piece of kit but by the time they’ve been shipped from UK and posted recorded delivery from Melbourne to Canberra become eye wateringly expensive. Wear had one so Canberra’s got to have one too.

Spot the grain of rice for the halyard toggle.
Next a small mast to put the steaming light on and possibly a house flag or boat club flag.

Mary found me a clapped out port barrel with a leak on marketplace for $40. Always wanted one but they cost too much for me so snapped this on up. Filled it with water and kept a dribble going in and left it for three days to swell up and she’s tight. Sympathetically cleaned up the hoops, bleached out most of the black staining common to oak. Rubbed down and oiled with Danish Oil and it’s better than new.

In between things drying or being delivered to stop me twiddling my thumbs I’ve made some mods to the lathe, adding carriage and cross-slide locks, chip shield made from 0.5 mm Lexan  sheet, a screen on the back of the apron also made from Lexan to keep chips out of the travel gears and finally a chip shield attached to the apron made from 30mm angle aluminium to shield the feed screw from chips.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2020, 04:18:14 am »

I’ve been working on boathook, mop, punt pole and plank plus the mountings. I was worried possibly the boat was on the heavy side of expectations so, dig out kids paddling pool, remove spiders, leaves and dead stuff. Gave it a bit of a clean and filled it up for a float test. Was surprised to find she’s 1 1/2 kilos under weight with a too much trim by the 'bottom'. A 1kilo bag of sugar placed on the gas bottle table cover moved things in the right direction such that I reckon 1 1/2 kG under the forward seats should sort it. So I decided on a W/L and marked it fore and aft, port and starboard. I cleared by table saw, levelled it with some board and rigged up a jury level gauge out of a Danish oil can, a redundant spirit level and taped a white paint pen on the end and ran round the boat with it and painted the W/L. Decided I’m going for copper antifouling as I’ve half a can left over from painting one of Mary’s competition cake stands. Just got to search out some freebie lead sheet offcuts. See what I can blag.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2020, 02:46:51 am »

I’m particularly pleased with my mop and boathook. Mop head made from a ball of the wife’s embroidery stuff, suitably off white and the boathook head is a bit of brass rod turned into a cone on the lathe and two bits of 1.5 mm brass rod, bent and shaped into the hook and spike and soldered in. Painted to resemble weathered galvanising. The gangplank has 600 wet and dry antislip stuck to it and galvanised bands on the ends.

I managed to blag 3kg of old roofing  lead sheet from a Syrian guy across from our house, Cleaned it up and cut to shapes with snips and used polyurethane adhesive to glue 741g into each forward bench seats. Which left enough space to secrete 4 cell battery pack under one and iPod Nano and earphones less buds under the other bench. The audio amplifier chip, power jack, input jack and speaker jack are fixed to a waterproof plastic box which will go between table and gas bottle.

Speakers still on the way from China ( by trishaw)
Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2020, 08:47:04 am »

Those tools look very realistic Jerry and putting them on the roof gives the roof that something extra too!  Lovely job its looking amazing and what a great neighbour you have to give you the lead.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2020, 09:00:43 am »

Navigation lights now. More 0.5mm brass sheet and solder. Bends formed by bending round an ali tube of suitable diameter. Painted inside Matt Black and a thin bit of 0.5mm acetate sheet slipped in to make the lenses.

Then a trip to jaycar electronics for some thin wire, a twin AAA battery box with integral switch and some tiny leds   . I wired up the canopy for the LEDs and popped them through hoes from below into each navlight  fitting. Also added three roof lights to be covered by baby food bottle tops for light fittings. The battery box painted white and glued to underside of the canopy so I can slip off the cover to replace batteries. Finished off the day by pinstriping the waterline.

Jerry.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.