Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37534 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2020, 10:34:05 am »

Missed some picks out of the music system.

Managed to attach everything bar speakers  under the table the gas tank valve slots in between.

Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2020, 11:17:52 am »

Rather neat brass lamp housings there Jerry :-)) ......

We see many Navigation light Regulations [Sea going vessels 1940+] but is there a record of the same for River and Lake vessels [tonnage related?] for earlier time periods?

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2020, 11:50:18 am »

The main change that I’m aware of was the Merchant Shipping Act 1972 as amended. Where all collision regs  were incorporated with agreed standardised data for lights , filaments, colours and sounds. Frequencies of whistles in proportion to size of vessel. All very technical but before implementation red, white and greens came in many questionable hues!  The other thing was stopping peeps painting sidelight screens red and green and replacing with Matt black. This to sharpen up the cutoff angles of lights as red and green paint reflects the light outside required arcs. Similarly the filament in a navlight standardised as a single, vertical filament thus causing a point light source in the horizontal plane. As to river, canal and lake vessels, these are also covered but in general most small boats can pretty much manage with a decent torch. On the canals themselves in UK hireboats may not travel at night, private boats can and again only need to show a white light which is so they can see where they’re going. It’s rare to see boats moving on uk canals at night because you’re wasting valuable pub time! Incidentally, S L Canberra is post 1972.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2020, 07:43:21 am »

I’ve been thinking about the steering gear hatch. It’s been sat on the boat but not secured so I came up with a wheel and strong-back system. A bit more brass work.

Glueing in the wedges

[size=78%][/size]

Jerry.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2020, 08:53:32 am »

Ingenious locking mechanism.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2020, 09:26:50 am »

Ingenious locking mechanism.

Yea that's a great idea and very nicely made too  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2020, 08:21:58 am »

Looks the part and works. Next are the compass binnacle which has been living in the lathe chuck for 3 weeks while I waited for a new parting tool. Now on the lookout for a 20mm dia. button compass to put in it.

I’ve searched everywhere for a decent searchlight of the correct size without success so out with the tinsnips again. I domed the rear by tapping the brass sheet with a small ball peen hammer on a piece of softwood. Bit of filing and wet and dry to remove tool marks then all soldered together. I was planning on making it swivel and tilt via a lever under the canopy but didn’t leave enough space between the lamp and the mount and couldn’t face  remaking it so it’s static.

So, just a life ring to make, it’ll be red and white because I’ve no international orange paint but I might find some reflective tape, then after we visit these two Indiginous Art exhibitions on Friday then I’ll hand the canopy over to daughter Sarah to work her magic. Inside the boat I need a ladder from gun whale to deck plates, connect up speakers ( when they arrive) and my work is done. She will need a strong box made up to protect her when we make the move from Canberra to Brisbane whenever that happens.
A few things to get for my lathe such as a milling attachment (I’ve got one in the UK which Nephew Ben might let me borrow back again plus BA tap and die set which is his). Then I’m looking at a new project to keep me off the streets. I’m considering a Stuart twin launch engine from castings or maybe a PM Research engine but got to work on the budget a bit.
 Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2020, 04:44:34 am »

Ok, on the home straight. Life ring made from four sheets of ply with grain alternating. I got about 20 little tins of Humbrol and Revelle enamel paint plus two plastic kits for free off Facebook market place. I’d forgotten how nice they are to work with and how long they take to dry. It’s faux reflective tape cut from one of those stickers you put behind car door handles to protect paint from scratches. I also found a source for lamp shades. Previously on the Wear build I used the tops of Actimel bottles but they don’t sell it in Oz so found something a bit more stylish. The tops off liquid baby food squeezy sachets. The canopy is with my artist daughter who is going to work her magic with dot painting Aboriginal style. I’ve asked her to sign under the canopy just in case she’s a future Van Dyke or something. I made a box to keep the boat safe for our move to Brisbane. Wife thinks I’m gong to do her in! Thinking about it.
[

url=https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/aLYYK]

Oh yes the 2” loudspeakers I ordered 3months ago didn’t arrive so I got a refund and got some locally (Jaycar). The system works but the volume set on the iPod Nano is very low and the volume switch on the headset doesn’t work so I need to borrow another headset to turn it up then all systems go. Steam testing awaits!
TTFN
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:26 am »

I’ve been laid low with a viscous cold for over a week now but ventured into th shed yesterday and realised I’d totally forgotten about making something to prevent the steam from the safety valve blowing the canopy off so I made this uptake fitting to cover the safety valve and divert steam up the pipe and through the canopy ridge. Also drilled four radial holes to divert steam horizontally as well which should prevent any restriction to escaping steam.

Jerry C.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2020, 07:52:59 am »

Looks nice,  but don't the radial holes defeat the purpose of directing the steam up the pipe?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2020, 10:20:19 am »

The safety valve has 6 holes in it. This is enough such that when it lifts the pressure ceases to rise. Putting a tube onto it  is a restriction which might be enough to cause boiler pressure to continue rising after safety lifts. To be sure I’ve added the radial holes. This discharge sideways doesn’t compromise the security of the canopy.
Jerry C.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2020, 12:06:16 am »

Hi Jerry how do you adjust the blow off pressure?
Cheers 

John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2020, 01:18:26 am »

I don’t John. It’s preset at 60psi. When I did the first steaming test it worked as designed. This boiler makes a lot of steam very quickly. Previously on Wear I reduced the psi setting on her safety but it became unreliable. The guy that made advised me to leave it on 60. I’ve got one spare bush so I can add another safety like steam locos have if it proves necessary.
Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2020, 05:59:48 am »

The 20mm compass I ordered arrived so that’s boxed off.

I managed to find some scrap brass round bar 1.24” diameter which is near as dammit 32mm so that’s the chimbly cowl a press fit into the newly painted (satin black) Funnel.

The artwork on the canopy is coming on nicely.
Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2020, 06:42:39 am »

I copied this idea off Keith Appleton on YouTube as one, it makes it look less like a camping stove and Two it may help with absorbing some heat to counteract cooling in operation.

This below however is something else entirely. This is my daughter’s view of the sun setting in the Brindabellas. The sun is the Funnel, the rays are the suns. However it’s two pictures in one. The sun also represents the State Circle in Canberra, the centre of government and the rays represent the main roads joining it. The photo doesn’t do it justice.

I have to wait a couple of weeks for the varnish to harden. Dot painting on miniature corrugated iron is a challenge.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2020, 07:54:11 am »

Hello!
Lovely and very creative idea !
Congratulations to the artist! :-))
Perfect launch with smart details!
Have a "nace da' "!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2020, 03:19:49 am »

Ok, that’s a wrap, all finished, 8 years, doesn’t seem that long.  Canopy painted by Sarah King, keep your eye out for her. I think it’s a stunning tribute to Canberra and the people here before us.

Lugging it in and out of the shed for pics reminded me I’m going to need a launching trolley. Last week I read through the “Natterer” build so what do you think?

Jerry C.

davejo90

« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2020, 07:25:20 am »

That's great work, you should be very proud of that. I love the trolley too  :-))

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2020, 03:01:28 pm »

Excellent work Jerry can't wait so pictures of her on the water  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2020, 09:52:35 am »

Greatttttttt :-)) :-)) :-))  launch

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2020, 01:41:52 pm »

Hi Jerry, just catching up with your build.  Your daughter's work is amazing, such a clever way to decorate an otherwise pretty boring surface.  And your work is pretty decent as well!  I assume a maiden voyage is imminent, if it hasn't already happened?  And that trailer is a project in itself, especially the wheels - I had a go at making cartwheels ages ago and gave up (although I didn't have a lathe, which might have made getting them round a little easier!).

Happy New Year!

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2020, 11:27:55 pm »

Thanks Greg, happy new year to you. I didn’t build the trailer, it came up on a thread so I thought I’d give it a go sometime. You don’t need a lathe to do circles. I use a sanding station. Just drill a hole in the table on the wheel at the radius and gently turn the wheel for perfik curculs!  I use my cheap ALDI station for so many things. I’ve cleaned up most of the Stuart-castings on it even the chilled ones. As for the launch, I made a nice storage/transportation case for it for an impending house move to Brisbane but that’s been put on hold indefinitely. Son in law is a Correctional Officer (Screw) but if he moves out of state he has to retrain and start at the bottom again and wages are much lower away from Canberra A C T. I’m very pleased with the canopy art, it came out much better than I expected. The only downside is it hides the “corrugated iron” I took so long to make and fit. It’s a tribute to Canberra and the original people in the area.
I’m waiting for a new 4jaw chuck to replace the broken one so at present turning the forged crankshaft between centres. It’s a "xxxxx" because the material is awful and testing my tools and sharpening skills to the limit. If it fails I’ll have make a built up one but I really wanted to keep the first one original for sale purposes. The sale being to finance one of my own and another boiler. I should live that long already!
I see Mark T has started another epic build, looking forward to it. Hope to see him again in Dudley when we get back to the boat. With the vaccine in sight it’s starting a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyway, all the best cos it can’t get any worse, can it?!!
Jerry C.

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:34 am »

Jerry just realized I never followed up to the completion of your 2nd model-- so many ex

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2021, 05:58:08 am »

-hit return  I guess... sorry... exquisite details, and very artful; The dot painting on the canopy was a real treat. It's pretty clear you always have fun doing these things

-Carl

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2021, 02:29:43 am »

Nice work Jerry C! Functional art.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.