Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Places to use a RC boat  (Read 6550 times)

greengin

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Places to use a RC boat
« on: November 08, 2017, 01:51:44 pm »

Hi,

I live in Sutton, south London, and am wondering whether there are spots where it's allowed to run a RC boat (with electric motor).
I'm building an airboat, as I've mentioned in a different thread, but to be honest I'm not even sure I can legally use it anywhere :S.

Thank you,
Eloy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Places to use a RC boat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:25:07 pm »

I assume you have checked out sites like this  or a more specific google for model boat clubs in your area
http://www.modelboatlakes.co.nr/ 

greengin

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:10:34 pm »

I assume you have checked out sites like this  or a more specific google for model boat clubs in your area

I had only seen a club near my area, but it seem to do only sail boats, no motors. Thanks for the link, that's very useful. I imagine in general ponds that do not appear there are not allowed to model boats?

Thank you!
Eloy

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »

Hi Greengin

If you don't mind a drive you could try the lake used by the Southwater Model Boat Club have a look at there website, also have a look at  Blackpark Slough or Bushy Park Kingston upon Thames.

Hope this help's

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:53 pm »

Hi Greengin The club may only use Sail but if its a public lake  I would use it  obviously avoiding the Rag and Stick boys ring your local council if you are worried  they will tell you if any pond has restrictions. Some clubs act as if its their lake even if it is a public one particularly on race days but generally we get along if common sense and courtesy prevail.Just starting  with Airboats myself 
Jay

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:02 pm »

The pond in Bushey Park is fine for sail and electric, free to use anytime the park is open.
No club to join either. Sunday mornings is popular.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »

Interesting web site, but way out of date.  The email does not work unless you have MS Outlook, and there is a page saying the site is full and cannot be updated.  No Buckinghamshire !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

greengin

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »

Thank you fro the suggestions! Bushy Park is very close, very convenient :), we'll definitely try there. The other places are a bit further away but we might plan a day trip there. We sometimes go to Box Hill, and our kid likes one of the trails (Stepping stones) which crosses the river Mole. I'll email National Trust to see what they think about brining the boat there.

Bob mentioned Buckinghamshire... We used to live in Milton Keynes and spent many days in Willen Lake. I don't recall ever seen model boats there but looks like a great place for it!

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 12:38:28 pm »

Don't forget to check on the insurance position, your household policy probably won't cover this. Joining a model boat club usually provides insurance.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:03 pm »

[quote author=greengin link=topic=59376.msg621883#msg621883 date=1510246536
Bob mentioned Buckinghamshire... We used to live in Milton Keynes and spent many days in Willen Lake. I don't recall ever seen model boats there but looks like a great place for it!
[/quote]

I was thinking of Black Park Lake, near Pinewood Studious.  A bit far from Sutton, but a lovely lake to sail on, and with Black Park Model Boat Club
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.