Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aerokit solent  (Read 1424 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
aerokit solent
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:20:05 pm »

Hi gents,
 I have a old Aerokit Solent that I going up grade with modern bits bring it up to date make it look like it was a new kit plastic cabin metal stanchions make look like some thing form this year not 30/40 years old,
 but having a second thought will I be wrong in knackering a vintage kit and will I make it worth less I don't know which way to jump.
           Regards Howard

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: aerokit solent
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:59 pm »

howard.........theres an old saying, that it's only worth what someone will pay for it, and if you are only building it to make a profit, the sad thing is, you never will.
however if you are building it for your own pleasure, then do what you want to do with it to make it into a pleasurable build for yourself and your own experience and joy. and if that means updating it with modern more realistic fittings, go for it.

it was a nice kit in its day, but when I updated the hull and superstructure for Dave Metcalf  by rejigging the hull especially the tunnels to take grp moulds off, which models by design has, Dave also uprated the fittings set to bring it into the 21st century.........still the same lifeboat, but just more modern.........so, your choice and your decision, and no one can moan at you for making the choice that you do.

neil.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:29:29 pm »

Thank you Neil, going from a master  like it means a lot no its not for profit just have told me it would be criminal   up date a such a vintage kit  I did ask models by design a few years but about has fittings kit but was told no chance as the moulds no longer any good and it was Dave who supplied him and was awaiting Dave to remake them and as he is now retired  cant see me ever getting one so think its down to me to make my own but thank for your reply.
                                     Regards Howard

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:43:41 am »

Good point, out all my models the Aerokits Solent  [wooden] always seems to have that unique charm about it hence I've got two!

Not as accurate or as detailed as some but looks and runs great on the lake.

:-))

Regards,

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.