Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Backup software  (Read 1492 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
PC Backup software
« on: November 14, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »

Having had to restore my computer twice in the last month using Windows built in backup, I want to use some other software as the built in software adds a time code to the restored files names and ignores emails if you don't use Windows mail. Has anyone out there some recommendations?

Thanks
Don't Assume Check

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PC Backup software
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:10 am »

I use a program called tucan you copy files (images mainly) to a backup drive, and another called macrium reflect to back up the entire disc image.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:26 am »

FWIW, I always distrust anything that claims to backup, autosave or whatever.

I regularly export my emails and contacts from Live Mail, then copy My Documents and a couple of other data groups to an external drive that is disconnected when not needed (ransomware protection!). Yes, more clicking than using an app, but I'm in control and I know exactly what's been done. Other important data, like photos and audio files, are held on separate physical drives, even on my laptop (1 x SSD and 1 x HDD), so a reinstall of Windows won't affect them. They too are regularly backed up to the external drive.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:25:25 am »

For backing up files I use Synctoy (a MS windows tool) to ensure that files are backed up on a different drive, and preferably on a different PC as well.  I do my best to ensure that the operating system and programs live on the c: partition, any files that they create live on a different one and get sync'd elsewhere on a fairly regular basis.  This also reduces the tendency of windows to clutter the c: drive with all sorts of rubbish.
The c: drive has the regular windows backup on a physically different drive to stop windows bleating at me, but I also use Easeus Backupper (free) to do much the same job, only more easily.  Very few clicks and typically about 20-25 minutes to create a date stamped clone after doing a clean-up and defrag, and about the same to reload it.  Obviously, any data stored on that disc since the backup will be lost - the answer is to not store it there - put it on another drive.  The best way is to set preferences if possible on the programs that you use to create your files.
For those with blind faith and a totally reliable internet connection there is always Onedrive, of course.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »

I dont let my computers connect to onedrive, if all your data is there you can be held to ransom by the software provider (as per photobucket) I have two old machines that I use as servers - one for printers, one for files, but the printer one has a backup of my photos as well as the file server.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:14 am »

With any on-line service, if you are not paying for the product, then you are the product.  If their business model no longer turns information on you into money, you become surplus to their requirements.  Paid for access obviously relies on your continued payment.  Photobucket was an early warning.
And for my preferred backup, I should have said "Aomei Backupper" - the EaseUS Todo one was good, the latest version probably works fine, but getting the free one is becoming a bit of a pita, probably a sign that that corporation wants more bites for its bait.
So, every so often, a system backup to a separate drive, rather more often, a Synctoy session to spread the latest versions of my files around.  I just wish that I could find a simpler way of tying my Thunderbird stuff across my machines.  It would probably involve some considerable digging in the options and copying the right files to their new location, but there is some built in nervousness about disturbing a system that does work for me.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:57 pm »

Thanks for all the input. Some food for thought there.
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.