Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Password Managers - Are They Safe & A Good Idea?  (Read 5990 times)

RST

Re: Password Managers - Are They Safe & A Good Idea?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:05 pm »

I had aconversation with our IT guy recently because Iwas vetting inundated with requests to use various password keeper programs and I was wondering but not so convinced..........

I do not have a large on-line presence
I am not a facebooker or have any interest in social media
I do not subscribe to things randomly
I do not order from anyone other than trusted sources
I do not give my E-Mail address or phone number out -period
My D.O.B>is strictly confidential
If I HAVE to give a tel no or address from an untrusted source I will spell the details wrong on the form and correct after

...the most important thing for me is I have so many on-line passwords.  I am very careful where my personal data goes.  I would never trust any 3rd party password saver because I manage my own accounts.

...on the other hand if you want everything 10s quicker, paypal linked to mobile linked to bank card linked to home address linked to facebook.  Then I can see why you would want a password program and my IT guy said they should maybe be used but he wasn't quite convinced himself..

........personaly I couldn't think anything worse than handing my passwords over to a 3rd party.  It goes against all theprinciples we are supposed to abide by!!??!!!!!!!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:10 pm »

OK....so asked .... https://howsecureismypassword.net/  ..... how secure my General password is  :o....

It has 10 key strokes
1 x capitalized letter
7 x lowercase letters
1 x numeral
1 x symbol........

I have MS Office 2010 installed on 2 machines, this password opens MS Excel, which is where my actual passwords reside

Each of the embedded passwords has the same number & type of keystrokes and each displays the same level of security

Why not try this & come back with your score count....

Derek

Result is below  %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 11:36:51 pm »

Is that even a word....

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 12:22:19 am »

For sites such as this, I use basic passwords (simple names with a few digits chucked in). Easily remembered, though I let Chrome remember them all. There's minimal risk.

More data-secure sites I use "dinghies I have owned" (can't forget things like that: name and sail number, pretty much unguessable. Or "lines from books". I've had more than a few people look at me when I casually type in a thirty-letter password. Easy to recall, very hard to guess.

When my father died a couple of years ago, I found myself in front of his PC, trying to guess his password to unlock/refund his Paypal cash to my Mum's account. It took less than a minute: he was a radio amateur, I knew his call sign.  ;) 

Bottom line is: IF someone is going to steal info about you, they will do it. Making it slightly harder than the average password means that the 'low hanging fruit' will be picked first. I'd never trust to a password manager, as those systems must be targetted (bigger potential gains) much more often than mere individuals.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:42 am »

A bit technical in places, but worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs

Lance

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 08:47:50 am »

I get the feeling that few of us are really convinced by Password Managers. I cannot really get myself to believe in them but I have decided to use an open source manager to keep my low priority passwords such as the example used here & an alternative private method for those that matter.

This might not be the perfect answer but it will help.

Even though I try not to give out my date of birth, mothers maiden name etc there have been enough corporate/ government data breaches that I am sure this commonly used information is out there about all of us.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:47 am »

A bit technical in places, but worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs

Lance

Wow!!!! The technical bit is easy to gloss over & get the main message.
Most of the password ideas that I have had over the years are rubbish (even though I believed that I was being clever at the time)
! Fortunately my current ideas basically seem to be heading in the right direction.
Everybody should watch the above video& the one that follows it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjQ9b3pgIg

It will be 20min of your life where I pretty well guarantee most of us will learn a lot.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »

Is that even a word....

Of course these calculators don't actually test the password, that would take all those quinquagintillions of years.

All they do is calculate how many possible combinations there are for that character set and multiply that by the time per calculation.

It is just as likely to find your password on the first result as the last.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 12:58:53 pm »

Of course these calculators don't actually test the password, that would take all those quinquagintillions of years.

All they do is calculate how many possible combinations there are for that character set and multiply that by the time per calculation.

It is just as likely to find your password on the first result as the last.

Real password cracking is a great deal more sophisticated as you will see if you watch the videos linked above your post. I agree that a simple counter is probably doing nothing more than you suggest.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »

of course - if I wanted to harvest peoples passwords - the best way would be to create a password how secure website and just get people to input their passwords to my cracking software database - or is that just me being cynical

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:41 am »

of course - if I wanted to harvest peoples passwords - the best way would be to create a password how secure website and just get people to input their passwords to my cracking software database - or is that just me being cynical

No not much different to offering a free photo hosting service and selling the photos and personal details that you will be given for free {-) {-) {-)

We are warned about falling for scams but completely ignore such warnings when the word free is mentioned, think it is called Greed takes over. Let the buyer beware. %% %% %%
Gunna build those other boats one day.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:39 am »

I think you may be closer than you think with your cynicism. Chances are they captured your IP address which may/may-not add ammunition to a potential hack.

About 15 years ago I formed a new company.  Once I had decided on a company name I realised that I should register the domain name(s) before punching the paper work with Companies House. I spent a while on a domain registers website playing with permutations of the company name in their "search" function to see if the domain names I wanted where available. Thinking I would sleep on things and review my thoughts the next day before I committed funds to my new venture I stopped the process. Next day came and to my horror one permutation of my desired domain name had been registered the day before!!

I can only deduce that the output of web page search for available domains was reviewed by someone and where they saw an opportunity they took it. I expected someone to contact me having registered the other domains I wanted (all directly linked to the stolen one) but never got the communication we will sell you the domain for £xxx.

To this day I wonder was this a coincidence or conspiracy. The domain name was pretty abstract so I came to the conclusion it was malicious.

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 10:31:00 am »

I think you may be closer than you think with your cynicism. Chances are they captured your IP address which may/may-not add ammunition to a potential hack......................

C-3PO

Don't IP addresses change frequently for most of us on standard ISP packages?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 11:26:13 am »

You can test/check your IP address on line just type check my IP address, same as you can do a speed test also on-line.

Interesting, surprising results.

Our forum logs your IP. bottom right of your post.  :-))

The other posts show logged so we can't see each others IP only ??????????????????? can. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 02:26:14 pm »

...Next day came and to my horror one permutation of my desired domain name had been registered the day before!!

I have had this happen to me before and, like you, can't tell whether it's malicious or coincidence. With new website customers I've since purchased 'their' domain name within minutes of checking that it's available.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.